MS Back Pedals was Re: [gaykingdom] Microsoft pulls Gay support

  • Davey Brain
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2005
      sebama4boi wrote:

      > I was sent this link from a friend and after reading the news
      > article, I felt compelled to post it here. This is a worldwide company
      > that needs to hear from the rest of the world too. I urge you all to
      > read the entire article and call any of the officals of the company
      > listed at the end.
      > Here is the link to the article..........
      >

      > http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/04/take-action-microsoft-abandons-
      > gays.html

      Hi,
      I've been following this issue. After this news came out Microsoft has
      been doing some damage control. I think they realize that pandering to
      the right wing radical evangelicals to the detriment of the LGBT peoples
      might do them more damage than any evangelical boycott would. This is
      the main reason Proctor & Gamble didn't drop their support for the
      repeal of the draconian anti-gay law in Cincinnati Ohio.

      See these full stories at these links:

      --------

      From CNet: Ballmer explains reversal on gay rights bill
      <http://news.com.com/Ballmer+explains+reversal+on+gay+rights+bill/2100-1022_3-5682402.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703>
      Published: April 24, 2005, 2:10 PM PDT
      By Sarah Kershaw; The New York Times

      (SEATTLE) Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer sent what company executives
      described as an unusual e-mail message on Friday evening to roughly
      35,000 employees in the United States, defending Microsoft's widely
      criticized decision not to support an antidiscrimination bill for gay
      people in Washington state this year.

      --------

      From 365Gay.com: Gates Enters Microsoft Gay Debacle
      <http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/04/042605gates.htm>
      by The Associated Press

      (Washington) Microsoft Corp. may rethink whether it will support
      legislation banning discrimination against gays and lesbians, company
      Chairman Bill Gates says.

      --------

      As much as I dislike Microsoft and as upset as I get with Bill Gates and
      Steve Ballmer's exercise of monopoly powers I have to admit that BG & MS
      have always been very good about their support of LGBT peoples at
      Microsoft. They were one of the first corporations in the USA to give
      benefits to all people in a household (domestic partner benefits).

      Also: Congrats to our new representatives. I trust our new legislature
      will do a great job! (Someone had suggested that I might run for office
      but being unemployed I cannot even afford the $50 to become a citizen.
      And as I'm struggling to make a living in this depressed area of Ohio
      USA I fear I might not have the time to devote to the needs of the country.)

      BrokenBoy
      --
      Davey Brain
      Due to political oppression I'm seeking a Canadian or European

      "It is dangerous to be right when the established authorities are wrong"
      - Voltaire

      This OS/2 uptime is 0 d 12 h 10 m 46 seconds