Re: On the Death of Pope John Paul II

  • stanford_giles
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
      Good riddance to bad rubbish.

      (Vatican City) Pope John Paul II has died ending what is regarded as
      the most homophobic pontificate in history.

      The Pope has been a constant voice of opposition to gay civil
      rights, same-sex marriage, and the use of condoms to prevent AIDS.

      His most recent attack on gays and lesbians came in his final
      book, "Memory and Identity," published last month. (story)

      The pope writes that gay marriage is "insidious" and "attempts to
      pit human rights against the family and against man."

      He also writes that lawmakers must resist the "pressures" put on
      them to legalize same-sex unions.

      In January, in a meeting with diplomats accredited to the Vatican
      the Pope said that families "must necessarily be that of a union
      between a man and a woman founded on marriage."

      A month earlier, in a pre-Christmas message the Pope accused gays of
      an "aggressive attempt to legally undermine the family." (story)

      "Attacks on marriage and the family, from an ideological and legal
      aspect, are becoming stronger and more radical every day," he said
      in a statement to be read in churches worldwide.

      "Who destroys this fundamental fabric causes a profound injury to
      society and provokes often irreparable damage."

      Last June, shortly after Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez
      Zapatero announced he would bring in a bill to legalize gay
      marriage, he was summoned to the Vatican for a severe tongue lashing
      from John Paul. (story)

      In a private audience the pope told Zapatero that his government
      must conserve ethical and moral values rooted in its Christian
      culture.

      Following the 15 minute meeting the two emerged and the pope read a
      public address to Zapatero in which he made clear his concern about
      gay marriage, telling him that the Spanish government must "give due
      attention to ethical values that are so rooted in the religious and
      cultural tradition of the population."

      Zapatero later said he appreciated the Pope's view but had no
      intention of dropping the legislation.

      Last summer, in advance of the US election, President Bush met with
      the Pope at the Vatican. (story) Bush implored the Pope to increase
      Catholic condemnation of gay marriage in the weeks leading up to the
      election, and that the request also was made by the president to
      senior Vatican officials.

      Shortly after the meeting US bishops stepped up their assaults on
      same-sex marriage, becoming actively involved in campaigns in 11
      states where constitutional bans on gay marriage were on the
      ballot. Voters in all 11 states approved the amendments.

      The Pope and other Vatican officials have called for the repeal of
      gay rights legislation passed by the European Union.

      Two years ago, the Vatican released a 12 page directive to priests
      around the world calling for a proactive stand to stop governments
      from legalizing same-sex marriage and for a repeal of those those
      already on the books that give rights, including adoption, to gay
      couples. (story)

      "Legal recognition of homosexual unions or placing them on the same
      level as marriage would mean not only the approval of deviant
      behavior ... but would also obscure basic values which belong to the
      common inheritance of humanity," the document said.

      On the subject of HIV/AIDS, the Pope in January attacked the use of
      condoms, (story) after a leading Spanish prelate said that bishops
      support the use of contraceptives to fight AIDS. The prelate quickly
      backtracked after the Vatican intervened.

      Education, chastity and sexual fidelity are the responsible methods
      to combat AIDS, the Pope said.

      John Paul's pontificate was also marked by the priest abuse scandal
      in the US. The Vatican turned a blind eye as abusive priests were
      moved from parish to parish.

      When the scandal broke the Church was slow in cooperating with law
      enforcement and fought lawsuits brought by abuse victims.

      But, John Paul is also credited with helping bring about the end of
      Communism, speaking out against the war in Iraq, and mending fences
      with the Jewish community. Early in pontificate there was an
      assignation attempt on him. Years later he met the man convicted of
      the attempt and said he forgave him.

      Cardinals will gather in Rome to chose a successor. That person
      likely will continue the Church's assault on gays. The leading
      candidates were all appointed by John Paul and are all theological
      conservatives.

      --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Jase" <neonjase@l...> wrote:
      > very good words indeed Bill.
      >
      > The pope was a reconciliast... he reconciled with my people and
      many others.
      > While he was backwards in some of his thoughts on gay men and
      women, he was
      > a leader none the less and a very passionate man.
      >
      > I will mourn his loss as a human being.
      >

      > www.neonjase.com
    • Dallas Vinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
        Hey, just wanted to let you know that we are shutting down the #gayfiction
        IRC channel since nobody ever uses it anymore. However, if you go the
        channels webpage, you will find that we have instead set up forums for the
        discussion of gay fiction (stories and authors), so go on over to the
        website and be one of the first to register on the new forums and get into
        the discussions.

        http://gayfiction.webhop.net

        -Dallas
      • Pierre-Paul B
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
          I agree totally with what you said.
          Even if someone dies, we must not become "hypocrit" or "politically
          correct".
          Please let me add some other point of view going in the same way (
          english and french version)

          Pierre Paul

          THE ULTIMATE HYPOCRISY:  THE POPE USED EVERY POSSIBLE MEDICAL RESOURCE
          TO PROLONG HIS OWN LIFE, DESPITE A LONG TRADITION OF CONDEMNING ALL
          MEDICINE FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

          In the last year, as the pope degenerated further into diseased
          unconsciousness, desperately trying by any means to prolong his own
          life, how many other lives had he caused to shorten?  He has been a
          wonderful example of hypocrisy, following in the true church's
          tradition of condemning any new advance in science which could prolong
          life, and yet he did not hesitate to use all possible medical treatment
          for himself, which only yesterday was condemned by his predecessors.
          The inquisition who burned midwives as witches in the 1500s would have
          condemned the dead pontiff for his hospitalisation as surely as the
          dead pontiff condemned tomorrows stem cell medicine.

          If it had not been for the Vatican, medical science would be much more
          advanced today, we would already have found the cures to cancers, AIDS
          and all ills. The blind would be able to see and the lame would walk as
          predicted by Jesus. The truth is that the Vatican hindered medicine
          every step of the way, right from its inception, everything, right up
          to today with the most promising medicine of all: stem cell therapy.

          And yet the hypocrite did everything he could to benefit from medicine
          to prolong his own life! If the pope is really infallible, then his
          decree should be valid for ever and today's pope should not benefit
          from the medicine that his predecessors condemned. Either that, or the
          pope is not infallible. Let the diseased church die with the pope and
          give the keys of the Vatican stolen from St Peter to its rightful
          owner, His Holiness Rael, the true messenger of the Elohim, the
          extra-terrestrials who created all life on earth, who were mystified as
          god. (see rael.org)

          .www.rael.org

          ===========================

          L'HYPOCRISIE ULTIME : LE PAPE A UTILISÉ TOUTES LES RESSOURCES MÉDICALES
          POSSIBLES POUR PROLONGER SA PROPRE VIE, EN DÉPIT D'UNE LONGUE TRADITION
          CONDAMNANT TOUTE MÉDECINE POUR TOUS LES AUTRES !

          Au cours de la dernière année, alors que le pape sombrait dans une
          inconscience maladive, essayant désespérément par tous les moyens de
          prolonger sa propre vie, combien d'autres vies avait-il abrégées ? Il a
          été un merveilleux exemple d'hypocrisie, continuant dans de la
          véritable tradition de l’Église de condamner toute nouvelle avance en
          science qui pourrait prolonger la vie, alors que lui n’a pas hésitez à
          utiliser tout traitement médical possible pour lui, traitement qui
          seulement hier était condamné par ses prédécesseurs. L’Inquisition qui
          a brûlé les sages-femmes comme sorcières en 1500 aurait condamné le
          pontife mort pour son hospitalisation aussi sûrement que le pontife
          mort a condamné la médecine de demain à base de cellules souches.

          Si ce n’avait été que du Vatican, la science médicale serait beaucoup
          plus avancée aujourd'hui, nous aurions déjà trouvé les traitements pour
          les cancers, le SIDA et toutes les maladies. L’aveugle pourrait voir et
          le boiteux marcherait comme prévu par Jésus. La vérité est que le
          Vatican a entravé la médecine tout au long de sa progression, depuis
          ses débuts, jusqu'à aujourd'hui avec la médecine la plus prometteuse de
          toutes : la thérapie des cellules souches.

          Mais l'hypocrite a fait tout ce qu'il pouvait pour bénéficier de la
          médecine et prolonger sa propre vie ! Si le pape est vraiment
          infaillible, alors son décret devrait être valide à jamais et le pape
          d'aujourd'hui ne devrait pas tirer bénéfice de la médecine que ses
          prédécesseurs ont condamnée. Ou alors, le pape n'est pas infaillible.
          Laissez l'église malade mourir avec le pape et donner les clés du
          Vatican, volées à St-Pierre, à son propriétaire légitime, Sa Sainteté
          Raël, le vrai messager des Élohim, les extraterrestres qui ont créé
          toute vie sur terre, qui ont été mystifiés en dieu.

          (voir rael.org)