Re: [gaykingdom] On the Death of Pope John Paul II

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
      very good words indeed Bill.

      The pope was a reconciliast... he reconciled with my people and many others. While he was backwards in some of his thoughts on gay men and women, he was a leader none the less and a very passionate man.

      I will mourn his loss as a human being.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
        Good riddance to bad rubbish.

        (Vatican City) Pope John Paul II has died ending what is regarded as
        the most homophobic pontificate in history.

        The Pope has been a constant voice of opposition to gay civil
        rights, same-sex marriage, and the use of condoms to prevent AIDS.

        His most recent attack on gays and lesbians came in his final
        book, "Memory and Identity," published last month. (story)

        The pope writes that gay marriage is "insidious" and "attempts to
        pit human rights against the family and against man."

        He also writes that lawmakers must resist the "pressures" put on
        them to legalize same-sex unions.

        In January, in a meeting with diplomats accredited to the Vatican
        the Pope said that families "must necessarily be that of a union
        between a man and a woman founded on marriage."

        A month earlier, in a pre-Christmas message the Pope accused gays of
        an "aggressive attempt to legally undermine the family." (story)

        "Attacks on marriage and the family, from an ideological and legal
        aspect, are becoming stronger and more radical every day," he said
        in a statement to be read in churches worldwide.

        "Who destroys this fundamental fabric causes a profound injury to
        society and provokes often irreparable damage."

        Last June, shortly after Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez
        Zapatero announced he would bring in a bill to legalize gay
        marriage, he was summoned to the Vatican for a severe tongue lashing
        from John Paul. (story)

        In a private audience the pope told Zapatero that his government
        must conserve ethical and moral values rooted in its Christian
        culture.

        Following the 15 minute meeting the two emerged and the pope read a
        public address to Zapatero in which he made clear his concern about
        gay marriage, telling him that the Spanish government must "give due
        attention to ethical values that are so rooted in the religious and
        cultural tradition of the population."

        Zapatero later said he appreciated the Pope's view but had no
        intention of dropping the legislation.

        Last summer, in advance of the US election, President Bush met with
        the Pope at the Vatican. (story) Bush implored the Pope to increase
        Catholic condemnation of gay marriage in the weeks leading up to the
        election, and that the request also was made by the president to
        senior Vatican officials.

        Shortly after the meeting US bishops stepped up their assaults on
        same-sex marriage, becoming actively involved in campaigns in 11
        states where constitutional bans on gay marriage were on the
        ballot. Voters in all 11 states approved the amendments.

        The Pope and other Vatican officials have called for the repeal of
        gay rights legislation passed by the European Union.

        Two years ago, the Vatican released a 12 page directive to priests
        around the world calling for a proactive stand to stop governments
        from legalizing same-sex marriage and for a repeal of those those
        already on the books that give rights, including adoption, to gay
        couples. (story)

        "Legal recognition of homosexual unions or placing them on the same
        level as marriage would mean not only the approval of deviant
        behavior ... but would also obscure basic values which belong to the
        common inheritance of humanity," the document said.

        On the subject of HIV/AIDS, the Pope in January attacked the use of
        condoms, (story) after a leading Spanish prelate said that bishops
        support the use of contraceptives to fight AIDS. The prelate quickly
        backtracked after the Vatican intervened.

        Education, chastity and sexual fidelity are the responsible methods
        to combat AIDS, the Pope said.

        John Paul's pontificate was also marked by the priest abuse scandal
        in the US. The Vatican turned a blind eye as abusive priests were
        moved from parish to parish.

        When the scandal broke the Church was slow in cooperating with law
        enforcement and fought lawsuits brought by abuse victims.

        But, John Paul is also credited with helping bring about the end of
        Communism, speaking out against the war in Iraq, and mending fences
        with the Jewish community. Early in pontificate there was an
        assignation attempt on him. Years later he met the man convicted of
        the attempt and said he forgave him.

        Cardinals will gather in Rome to chose a successor. That person
        likely will continue the Church's assault on gays. The leading
        candidates were all appointed by John Paul and are all theological
        conservatives.

        --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Jase" <neonjase@l...> wrote:
        > very good words indeed Bill.
        >
        > The pope was a reconciliast... he reconciled with my people and
        many others.
        > While he was backwards in some of his thoughts on gay men and
        women, he was
        > a leader none the less and a very passionate man.
        >
        > I will mourn his loss as a human being.
        >

        > www.neonjase.com
      • Dallas Vinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
          Hey, just wanted to let you know that we are shutting down the #gayfiction
          IRC channel since nobody ever uses it anymore. However, if you go the
          channels webpage, you will find that we have instead set up forums for the
          discussion of gay fiction (stories and authors), so go on over to the
          website and be one of the first to register on the new forums and get into
          the discussions.

          http://gayfiction.webhop.net

          -Dallas
        • Pierre-Paul B
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2005
            I agree totally with what you said.
            Even if someone dies, we must not become "hypocrit" or "politically
            correct".
            Please let me add some other point of view going in the same way (
            english and french version)

            Pierre Paul

            THE ULTIMATE HYPOCRISY:  THE POPE USED EVERY POSSIBLE MEDICAL RESOURCE
            TO PROLONG HIS OWN LIFE, DESPITE A LONG TRADITION OF CONDEMNING ALL
            MEDICINE FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

            In the last year, as the pope degenerated further into diseased
            unconsciousness, desperately trying by any means to prolong his own
            life, how many other lives had he caused to shorten?  He has been a
            wonderful example of hypocrisy, following in the true church's
            tradition of condemning any new advance in science which could prolong
            life, and yet he did not hesitate to use all possible medical treatment
            for himself, which only yesterday was condemned by his predecessors.
            The inquisition who burned midwives as witches in the 1500s would have
            condemned the dead pontiff for his hospitalisation as surely as the
            dead pontiff condemned tomorrows stem cell medicine.

            If it had not been for the Vatican, medical science would be much more
            advanced today, we would already have found the cures to cancers, AIDS
            and all ills. The blind would be able to see and the lame would walk as
            predicted by Jesus. The truth is that the Vatican hindered medicine
            every step of the way, right from its inception, everything, right up
            to today with the most promising medicine of all: stem cell therapy.

            And yet the hypocrite did everything he could to benefit from medicine
            to prolong his own life! If the pope is really infallible, then his
            decree should be valid for ever and today's pope should not benefit
            from the medicine that his predecessors condemned. Either that, or the
            pope is not infallible. Let the diseased church die with the pope and
            give the keys of the Vatican stolen from St Peter to its rightful
            owner, His Holiness Rael, the true messenger of the Elohim, the
            extra-terrestrials who created all life on earth, who were mystified as
            god. (see rael.org)

            .www.rael.org

            ===========================

            L'HYPOCRISIE ULTIME : LE PAPE A UTILISÉ TOUTES LES RESSOURCES MÉDICALES
            POSSIBLES POUR PROLONGER SA PROPRE VIE, EN DÉPIT D'UNE LONGUE TRADITION
            CONDAMNANT TOUTE MÉDECINE POUR TOUS LES AUTRES !

            Au cours de la dernière année, alors que le pape sombrait dans une
            inconscience maladive, essayant désespérément par tous les moyens de
            prolonger sa propre vie, combien d'autres vies avait-il abrégées ? Il a
            été un merveilleux exemple d'hypocrisie, continuant dans de la
            véritable tradition de l’Église de condamner toute nouvelle avance en
            science qui pourrait prolonger la vie, alors que lui n’a pas hésitez à
            utiliser tout traitement médical possible pour lui, traitement qui
            seulement hier était condamné par ses prédécesseurs. L’Inquisition qui
            a brûlé les sages-femmes comme sorcières en 1500 aurait condamné le
            pontife mort pour son hospitalisation aussi sûrement que le pontife
            mort a condamné la médecine de demain à base de cellules souches.

            Si ce n’avait été que du Vatican, la science médicale serait beaucoup
            plus avancée aujourd'hui, nous aurions déjà trouvé les traitements pour
            les cancers, le SIDA et toutes les maladies. L’aveugle pourrait voir et
            le boiteux marcherait comme prévu par Jésus. La vérité est que le
            Vatican a entravé la médecine tout au long de sa progression, depuis
            ses débuts, jusqu'à aujourd'hui avec la médecine la plus prometteuse de
            toutes : la thérapie des cellules souches.

            Mais l'hypocrite a fait tout ce qu'il pouvait pour bénéficier de la
            médecine et prolonger sa propre vie ! Si le pape est vraiment
            infaillible, alors son décret devrait être valide à jamais et le pape
            d'aujourd'hui ne devrait pas tirer bénéfice de la médecine que ses
            prédécesseurs ont condamnée. Ou alors, le pape n'est pas infaillible.
            Laissez l'église malade mourir avec le pape et donner les clés du
            Vatican, volées à St-Pierre, à son propriétaire légitime, Sa Sainteté
            Raël, le vrai messager des Élohim, les extraterrestres qui ont créé
            toute vie sur terre, qui ont été mystifiés en dieu.

            (voir rael.org)