Greetings from an indigenist.

  • Todd Garvin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2004
      Hello. It's my turn on the soap box. ;^)

      My name is Todd and I am currently awaiting my application for
      citizenship in the GLK. I am of Metis (mixed Native and non-Native
      American) heritage. My Native heritage comes from the Saponi nation
      of the central Appalachian mountain region. In Western culture, I
      identify as a gay man, and in traditional Saponi culture, I identify
      as a _miha~i yanti_ ('woman heart') or 'two spirit'.

      I am gratified by the interest in perserving the ecology of the
      region, since this is something that is very important to me as an
      indigenous person.

      I also applaud the fact that the GLK recognizes independent Tibet,
      since the Tibetan people have suffered much under PRC occupation.

      I do have one question. This may not have direct bearing on the GLK,
      since the Coral Sea Islands were basically uninhabited prior to the
      voyage of the Gay Flower, but I am wondering if the GLK takes a
      position of solidarity with indigenous peoples in general, and with
      the Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, Maori, Kanak and other South
      Pacific peoples in particular. I am just curious to know what the
      views of people on the subject are.

      Anyway, it is good to meet everyone and to see this project get off
      the ground.

      Cheers!
      Todd