citizenship

  • Janelle
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
      >>The cost for citizenship should truly be
      nominal and for the actual cost of preparing and
      mailing the forms ONLY -- and not for general
      revenues for the Kingdom's operations.<<

      Even though I haven't done this, as I don't have $50. I think this price is nominal. It cost me more to get my US passport. And it costs thousands to become a citizen.
      As for what the money goes toward, I got the gay kingdom link from a woman who was considering buying it just to support the cause, meaning the Kingdom's operations.
      I suppse there could be tiers of donating; ie one level you get a pretty but at the moment useless passport, and then you could just have donations at any level, get $5 here and there. I thought of this from the solicitations I get in the mail from various groups.
      Respectfully,
      Janelle

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • Dallas Vinson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005

        (Montgomery, Alabama) A proposed amendment to the Alabama constitution banning same-sex marriage and civil unions is likely to appear on the 2006 primary ballot.

        The House approved a Senate version of the bill on Tuesday adding the civil unions ban. It now goes back to the Senate for final ratification - likely to occur on Thursday.

        The House voted 85 - 7 on the measure with little debate.  The sponsor of the House version, Rep. Yusuf Salamm (D-Selma), said that no "civilized society" has every accepted same-sex marriage.

        "The Legislature has a right to promote the general welfare of this state and, to be quite frank, we should be leery of any social experiment that does not have any precedent whatsoever in human history," he said.

        <Snip rest of story for space Get full article at www.365gay.com>

        So I guess according to Rep Salamm that all those country's in Europe where same sex marriage is perfectly legal are not civilized?  I think there is plenty of precedent not only in Europe, but even here in North Amarica that allowing same sex marriage does not bring society to a screaching halt.

        -Dallas Vinson
        -Member: GLK Wire Service (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glkwire)
        -Owner: Radio Free GLK (http://rfglk.dyndns.org/rfglk)

      • Zjo
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
          Well, I as a gay young man and Belgian feel realy offended by that
          Yusuf Salam! In Belgium same sex marriages are legal and when I hear
          this man saying such things, I do feel that it's not the countries
          with the gay marriages are uncivilized, but the countries that
          don't recognized gay marriages. Does anyone has the email of this
          men? I would like to confront him with this.

          Greetz,

          Jo Vansteenkiste
          (GLK & Belgium-EU)

          --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Dallas Vinson"

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
            Here's his info from the state legislature website, I don't see an
            email address though:
          • Dallas Vinson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005

              Here's his info from the state legislature website, I don't see an email address though:

              REPRESENTATIVE

              YUSUF SALAAM

              (D)

              67th District
              (Dallas
              )

              State House:Room 539-E
              11 South Union Street
              Montgomery, AL 36130
              (334) 242-7746
                District:230 Franklin Street
              Selma, AL 36703
                  Home Phone:(334) 872-7571

              Representative Yusuf Salaam was elected to the Alabama House of Representatives in November, 2002. He and his wife, Khayriyyah, have five children: Fatima, Rastreeda, Gaaiyya, Safiyyah, and Yusuflibril. He received his A.B. Degree in History from the University of Georgia, Juris Doctor from the University of Miami, and L.L.M. from the University of Wisconsin. Representative Salaam is a member of the Alabama Trial Lawyers, Alabama Bar Association, Alabama Democratic Committee, Dallas County Bar, and Coalition for Good Government.

              You can access the state legislature website at: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/index.html

              <dallaswv35077@b...> wrote:

              > (Montgomery, Alabama) A proposed amendment to the
              Alabama
              constitution
              > banning same-sex marriage and civil unions is
              likely to appear on
              the 2006
              > primary ballot.

              The House approved a Senate version of the bill on Tuesday adding
              the civil
              > unions ban. It now goes back to the Senate for final ratification
              -
               likely
              > to occur on Thursday.
              >

              > The
              House voted 85 - 7 on the measure with little debate.  The
              sponsor of
              > the House version, Rep. Yusuf Salamm (D-Selma), said that
              no "civilized
              > society" has every accepted same-sex
              marriage.

              > "The Legislature has a right to promote the
              general welfare of
              this state
              > and, to be quite frank, we should be
              leery of any social
              experiment that
              > does not have any precedent
              whatsoever in human history," he
              said.

              > <Snip rest of
              story for space Get full article at www.365gay.com>

              > So I
              guess according to Rep Salamm that all those country's in
              Europe where
              > same sex marriage is perfectly legal are not civilized?  I
              think
              there is
              > plenty of precedent not only in Europe, but even here
              in North
              Amarica that
              > allowing same sex marriage does not bring
              society to a screaching
              halt.

              > -Dallas Vinson
              > -Member:

              -Owner: Radio Free GLK (http://rfglk.dyndns.org/rfglk)

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/uXHolB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • jaixbrooks
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005

                <http://www.legislature.state.al.us/graphics/housepics/salaam_y.jpeg>

                > _____
                >

                > State House: Room 539-E
                > 11 South Union Street
                > Montgomery, AL 36130
                > (334) 242-7746 District: 230 Franklin
                Street
                > Selma, AL 36703
                > Home Phone: (334) 872-7571
                >

                > _____
                >

                > Representative Yusuf Salaam was elected to the Alabama House of
                > Representatives in November, 2002. He and his wife, Khayriyyah,
                have five
                > children: Fatima, Rastreeda, Gaaiyya, Safiyyah, and Yusuflibril. He
                received
                > his A.B. Degree in History from the University of Georgia, Juris
                Doctor from
                > the University of Miami, and L.L.M. from the University of
                Wisconsin.
                > Representative Salaam is a member of the Alabama Trial Lawyers,
                Alabama Bar
                > Association, Alabama Democratic Committee, Dallas County Bar, and
                Coalition
                > for Good Government.
                >
                > You can access the state legislature website at:
                > http://www.legislature.state.al.us/index.html
                >
                > -Dallas Vinson
                > -Member: GLK Wire Service (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glkwire)
                > -Owner: Radio Free GLK (http://rfglk.dyndns.org/rfglk)

                Dallas, Jo et al.

                You can be sure this grinning (deleted) (deleted) (deleted) will take
                every penny that any Gay person in Alabama is taxed. And lick his
                chops for more.....
                We are good enough to pay the same taxes, if not more, but Heaven
                forbid we should ask for just the same right to be happy and equal
                under the law.
                Civilized? This man does not know the meaning of the word...
                Bah!

                Jaix

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
                  Thanks, I've found an general email of the House (with the
                  instruction to put the name of the representative you want to reach)
                  on the site, so I've send a very polite note to Mr. Salaam:

                  "Your Excellenty,

                  The House of Representative of Alabama approved a Senate version of
                  the
                  bill on Tuesday adding the civil unions ban.

                  Your motive for this ban was that "no civilized society has every
                  accepted same-sex marriage" and that Alabama "should be leery of any
                  social
                  experiment that does not have any precedent whatsoever in human
                  history".

                  I am sorry to say you have been misinformed. Same-sex marriage has
                  been
                  legal in the Kingdom of Belgium and the Netherlands (Europe) for
                  several years now, with no unwelcome consequences whatsoever. The
                  acceptance
                  of gay and lesbian people even has increased by it, decreasing the
                  suicide of gay and lesbian youngsters all over Belgium.

                  Spain, Canada and the Republic of South Africa will legalize same-
                  sex
                  marriages very soon (possibly within the year). In a lot of other
                  nations gay and lesbian couples can officialize their relation which
                  gives
                  then the same rights as married straight couples (Denmark, Norway,
                  Brazil, Iceland, France, Hungary, Germany, Finland, Sweden,...).
                  These are
                  all civized countries and the same-sexmarriage does have lots of
                  precedents.

                  I hope I've been at your service to correct your information.

                  Sincerely yours,

                  Jo Vansteenkiste

                  Member of the Council for Equal Chances and against Racism of the
                  Government of the Province of West Flanders
                  Belgium - European Union"

                  (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glkmedia)
                  > > -Owner: Radio Free GLK (http://rfglk.dyndns.org/rfglk)

                  ~-->
                  > Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's
                  Research
                  > Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/uXHolB/TM
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                  Terms of
                  > Service.
                • lordkarlhuber
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 13, 2008
                    hello,
                    can anyone!!!! tell us how to become a citizen?
                    thx
                    chris&steve
                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2008
                      The Gay Kingdom project is still working through reorganization. Some
                      of the history of the group is available through this yahoo group or
                      the wikipedia article (discussion) of the GLK history.

                      There will be an organization, with elected representatives, to emerge
                      after a substructure is in place, but promising that we will have our
                      work done by a date certain is neither realistic or wise.

                      So, in answer to your question, you will be able to petition
                      citizenship after the reorganization enters its final phase sometime
                      this year. If you become aware of the history this group has endured,
                      I would hope you might be pleased that we have taken a more
                      circumspect approach to building first a gay government that works for
                      GLBTi people.

                      In the interim, we trust your prayers and well-wishes are indeed with us.

                      -Bill Freeman

                      --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "lordkarlhuber" <lordkarlhuber@...>