1471Re: News from Alabama

  • Zjo
    Mar 10, 2005
      Thanks, I've found an general email of the House (with the
      instruction to put the name of the representative you want to reach)
      on the site, so I've send a very polite note to Mr. Salaam:

      "Your Excellenty,

      The House of Representative of Alabama approved a Senate version of
      the
      bill on Tuesday adding the civil unions ban.

      Your motive for this ban was that "no civilized society has every
      accepted same-sex marriage" and that Alabama "should be leery of any
      social
      experiment that does not have any precedent whatsoever in human
      history".

      I am sorry to say you have been misinformed. Same-sex marriage has
      been
      legal in the Kingdom of Belgium and the Netherlands (Europe) for
      several years now, with no unwelcome consequences whatsoever. The
      acceptance
      of gay and lesbian people even has increased by it, decreasing the
      suicide of gay and lesbian youngsters all over Belgium.

      Spain, Canada and the Republic of South Africa will legalize same-
      sex
      marriages very soon (possibly within the year). In a lot of other
      nations gay and lesbian couples can officialize their relation which
      gives
      then the same rights as married straight couples (Denmark, Norway,
      Brazil, Iceland, France, Hungary, Germany, Finland, Sweden,...).
      These are
      all civized countries and the same-sexmarriage does have lots of
      precedents.

      I hope I've been at your service to correct your information.

      Sincerely yours,

      Jo Vansteenkiste

      Member of the Council for Equal Chances and against Racism of the
      Government of the Province of West Flanders
      Belgium - European Union"

      --- In gaykingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Dallas Vinson"
      <dallaswv35077@b...> wrote:
      > Here's his info from the state legislature website, I don't see an
      > email address though:
      >

      > REPRESENTATIVE
      >
      > YUSUF SALAAM
      >
      > (D)
      >
      > 67th District
      > (Dallas)
      >

      > State House:
      > Room 539-E
      > 11 South Union Street
      > Montgomery, AL 36130
      > (334) 242-7746
      >

      > District:
      > 230 Franklin Street
      > Selma, AL 36703
      >

      > Home Phone:
      > (334) 872-7571
      >

      > Representative Yusuf Salaam was elected to the Alabama House of
      > Representatives in November, 2002. He and his wife, Khayriyyah,
      have
      > five children: Fatima, Rastreeda, Gaaiyya, Safiyyah, and
      Yusuflibril.
      > He received his A.B. Degree in History from the University of
      Georgia,

      www.365gay.com>

      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glkmedia)
      > > -Owner: Radio Free GLK (http://rfglk.dyndns.org/rfglk)

      ~-->
      > Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's
      Research
      > Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/uXHolB/TM
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      Terms of
      > Service.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic