LOCATION CHANGE: ASL classes, please read :)

  • mamaof402382
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013

      American Sign Language Classes for Homeschoolers… sign ups

      PLEASE NOTE LOCATION CHANGE: Due to unforeseen circumstances with the sale of their home the Kingston family will be unable to host this class. The class will now be held in Bridgewater, hosted by Shannon Micciantuono 90 Dundee Drive, Bridgewater MA. Class times/dates have remained unchanged. This new class location may offer other families the opportunity to partake. Please see the class info below:

      Hello HS families,

      It's my pleasure to offer ASL to Homeschoolers for the 12th year! This program has been highly successful because of the wonderful l attendees and host families. This winter I am only able to schedule one ASL class so available slots will be held on a first come first serve basis. The cost of class remains unchanged $5.00 per week per student. Students are allowed one free absence. This has helped to keep the attendance consistent and limits kids unnecessarily being placed kids on a waiting list. We will continue with our "shoes off policy"…many pairs of feet can sure drag in lots of mud, rain, snow etc….
      This class will be opened to kids and parents (yes….parents may register as well for the same weekly fee of $5.00) ages 6 and up. Class will be held at Shannon Micciantuono's home 90 Dundee Drive Bridgewater MA. Class will run Thursday afternoons from 2-3pm for 6 weeks beginning Thurs. Feb.28th.
      If you would like to sign up for this class please contact me
      manny66@....
      Those of you who are new to homeschooling or to the area may not be familiar with this ASL program.
      Please read below for a description of what you can expect to learn. I look forward to meeting many new families. Class cancellations ( due to weather) will always be posted on my website: mariannemolinariasl.com
      ~PLEASE NOTE: There is another ASL class which I will open to older homeschoolers (middle school/high school aged kids). This class meets Thursday mornings in Bridgewater @ The Conant Community Health Center from 10:00-11:30. This program runs for 6 weeks at a time. Because the classes are longer ( 90 minutes) the cost is a bit more. Non-homescholers pay $75.00 for the 6 week course. I will lower the cost for homeschoolers and their parents to $65.00. This is a beginner program however many older kids prefer it as it's faster paced and loaded with content. The next Thursday morning Bridgewater class begins March 7th and runs until April 11th. Slots for this program will also be held on a first come/first serve basis. Unlike the afternoon ASL class, payment for this 6 week program is due at the first class. To sign up for this class please contact me :
      manny66@...

      Best,
      Marianne

      American Sign Language IS a true language accepted under the label "foreign language"

      Did you know:

      1)Deaf is different from deaf?
      2)That there are 22 signing systems AND one true manual language….ASL? WOW….this means the Deaf sure are diverse communicators!!
      3)In 1894 the football huddle was created by a Deaf football players at Gallaudet University?
      (Hummm sure makes sense to hide your signing hands when you're deciding on the next play)!
      4)The definition of ASL literacy is knowing/understanding the language AND Deaf culture?
      5)The Deaf have "accents" on their hands, just as hearing people have accents in their voices. This means that ASL signs can vary depending upon where you live!
      6) VOCABULARY only accounts for 4-6% of ASL. Therefore you will learn about:
      Classifiers, eye gaze, grammar/sentence types, indexing, contrastive structure, sign inflection, loan/lexicalized signs, spatial agreement etc……
      7) CULTURE is vital to you as an ASL student. Understanding a Deaf person culturally will allow you to be accepted into the Deaf community. The Deaf are very proud of their beautiful ASL and Deaf culture!
      On a cultural note you can expect to learn about: Deaf folklore, Deaf traditions, Deaf history, Deaf personality traits/social norms, Deaf poetry , Deaf art and literature, Deaf humor etc…..
      8). The FREE Deaf events which I host enable all of my students to use their signing skills in real life experiences!
      9). Facial expression is NOT an option….it's a MUST when using ASL
      10). Deaf/blind people communicate via tactile sign which is not the same as ASL.