Is foreign debt a wolf at the door?

  • GATAComm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      By Peter Brimelow and Ed Rubenstein
      CBS.MarketWatch.com
      Tuesday, November 2, 2004

      http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BF9393879%2D35F0%
      2D494B%2DBEB2%2D94BD328B929F%7D&siteid=mktw

      NEW YORK -- Remember the boy who cried wolf -- and
      one day the wolf ate him? How about crying "foreign
      debt"?

      Borrowing from abroad was a hot issue in the early 1980s.
      The Reagan Administration's many critics said foreigners
      had financed the boom.

      But it sure didn't look that way on a chart. (This was when
      I got really interested in charts). Foreign holdings of
      federal debt had fluctuated in the past -- and in the early
      1980s were still relatively low, and falling.

      That was then. This is now.

      After meandering upward in the late 1980s and early
      1990s, the fraction of outstanding Treasury debt owned
      by foreigners exploded during the boom years.

      [SEE CHART AT INTERNET SITE ABOVE.]

      At the end of 2003, 37.3 percent of Federal debt was in
      foreign hands -- more than double the 18.2 percent share
      of 10 years earlier.

      There is no sign of a letup. In 2003 the Treasury sold
      $373 billion of bonds to the public. Foreigners bought
      $259 billion, or nearly 70 percent.

      We don't see any precedent in the historical data for this
      situation. But, curiously, we don't hear all that much
      outcry about it.

      What does this foreign financial inflow mean?

      Literally what it means is that foreigners are financing
      the U.S. budget deficit and, in the process, our chronic
      trade deficit.

      Very nice of them.

      Arguably, this situation could go on for a long time. In
      fact, it already has. Most of the foreign-held debt is held
      by Central Banks of countries that depend on U.S. trade.
      Some observers assume that neither China nor Japan
      would sell their holdings of U.S. Treasurys because of
      the negative consequences of such a move on their own
      economies. For one thing, weakening the dollar would
      make their exports to the U.S. more expensive here.

      But it's hard to look at the extraordinary upsurge on our
      chart without wondering: what happens if the foreigners
      stop buying?

      It won't be the end of the world -- markets equilibrate in
      response to shock -- but it could presumably mean
      sharply higher interest rates and a weaker dollar.

      Shockwaves could extend beyond the United States.

      The world monetary system is based on the dollar.
      Dollar-denominated bonds are issued throughout the
      world. Their value would be jeopardized.

      One investment service that is looking at foreign debt
      is Bridgewater Associates. This week it observed that
      the current situation is eerily like 1968-1973, with
      China playing the role of Japan and Germany and
      buying U.S. Treasurys to prop the dollar up.

      It was unsustainable and, argues Bridgewater, still is.
      The service says:

      "Right now, China's ownership of U.S. paper is nearly
      a third of the Chinese economy, up from about 15
      percent two years ago. If the existing system continues,
      we estimate ... that the total value of Chinese holdings
      of U.S. dollars will exceed the total value of China's
      GDP in five years."

      Bridgewater seems to expect it to end, as in the 1970s,
      with dollar devaluation, commodity price increases,
      and some wrenching structural change.

      The wolf may not be here. But it's coming.

      RECOMMENDED INTERNET SITES
      FOR DAILY MONITORING OF GOLD
      AND PRECIOUS METALS
      NEWS AND ANALYSIS

      Free sites:

      http://www.jsmineset.com

      http://www.cbs.marketwatch.com

      http://www.mineweb.com/

      http://www.gold-eagle.com/

      http://www.kitco.com/

      http://www.usagold.com/

      http://www.goldseek.com/

      http://www.goldreview.com/

      http://www.capitalupdates.com/

      http://www.DailyReckoning.com

      http://www.goldenbar.com/

      http://www.silver-investor.com

      http://www.thebulliondesk.com/

      http://www.sharelynx.com/

      http://www.mininglife.com/

      http://www.financialsense.com

      http://www.goldensextant.com

      http://www.goldismoney.info/index.html

      http://www.howestreet.com

      http://www.depression2.tv

      http://www.moneyfiles.org/

      http://www.howestreet.com

      http://www.minersmanual.com/minernews.html

      http://www.a1-guide-to-gold-investments.com/euro-vs-dollar.html

      http://www.goldcolony.com

      http://www.miningstocks.com

      http://www.mineralstox.com/

      http://www.freemarketnews.com/

      http://www.321gold.com/

      http://www.silverseek.com/

      http://www.investmentrarities.com/

      http://www.kuik.com/KH/KH.html
      (Korelin Business Report -- audio)

      http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/home.htm
      (In Spanish)
      http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/plata/english.htm
      (In English)

      http://www.resourceinvestor.com/

      Subscription site:

      http://www.lemetropolecafe.com/

      http://www.hsletter.com

      Eagle Ranch discussion site:

      http://os2eagle.net/checksum.htm

      Ted Butler silver commentary archive:

      http://www.investmentrarities.com/

      COIN AND PRECIOUS METALS DEALERS
      WHO HAVE SUPPORTED GATA
      AND BEEN RECOMMENDED
      BY OUR MEMBERS

      Blanchard & Co. Inc.
      909 Poydras St., Suite 1900
      New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
      888-413-4653
      http://www.blanchardonline.com/

      Centennial Precious Metals
      3033 East 1st Ave., Suite 403
      Denver, Colorado 80206
      www.USAGold.com
      Michael Kosares, Proprietor
      US (800) 869-5115
      Canada 1-800-294-9462
      European Union 00-800-2760-2760
      Australia 0011-800-2760-2760
      cpm@...

      Colorado Gold
      222 South 5th St.
      Montrose, Colorado 81401
      www.ColoradoGold.com
      Don Stott, Proprietor
      1-888-786-8822
      Gold@...

      El Dorado Discount Gold
      Box 11296
      Glendale, Arizona 85316
      http://www.eldoradogold.net
      Harvey Gordin, President
      Office: 623-434-3322
      Mobile: 602-228-8203
      harvey@...

      Investment Rarities Inc.
      7850 Metro Parkway
      Minneapolis, Minnesota 55425
      http://www.gloomdoom.com
      Greg Westgaard, Sales Manager
      1-800-328-1860, Ext. 8889
      gwestgaard@...

      Kitco
      178 West Service Road
      Champlain, N.Y. 12919
      Toll Free:1-877-775-4826
      Fax: 518-298-3457
      and
      620 Cathcart, Suite 900
      Montreal, Quebec H3B 1M1
      Canada
      Toll-free:1-800-363-7053
      Fax: 514-875-6484
      http://www.kitco.com

      Lee Certified Coins
      P.O. Box 1045
      454 Daniel Webster Highway
      Merrimack, New Hampshire 03054
      www.certifiedcoins.com
      Ed Lee, Proprietor
      1-800-835-6000
      leecoins@...

      Miles Franklin Ltd.
      3015 Ottawa Ave. South
      St. Louis Park, Minn. 55416
      1-800-822-8080 / 952-929-1129
      fax: 952-925-0143
      http://www.milesfranklin.com
      Contacts: David Schectman,
      Andy Schectman, and Bob Sichel

      Missouri Coin Co.
      11742 Manchester Road
      St. Louis, MO 63131-4614
      info@...
      314-965-9797
      1-800-280-9797
      http://www.mocoin.com/

      Resource Consultants Inc.
      6139 South Rural Road
      Suite 103
      Tempe, Arizona 85283-2929
      Pat Gorman, Proprietor
      1-800-494-4149, 480-820-5877
      Metalguys@...

      Swiss America Trading Corp.
      15018 North Tatum Blvd.
      Phoenix, Arizona 85032
      http://www.swissamerica.com
      Dr. Fred I. Goldstein, Senior Broker
      1-800-BUY-COIN
      FiGoldstein@...

      HOW TO HELP GATA

      If you benefit from GATA's dispatches, please
      consider making a financial contribution to
      GATA. We welcome contributions as follows.

      By check:

      Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.
      c/o Chris Powell, Secretary/Treasurer
      7 Villa Louisa Road
      Manchester, CT 06043-7541
      USA

      By credit card (MasterCard, Visa, and
      Discover) over the Internet:

      http://www.gata.org/creditcard.html

      By GoldMoney:

      http://www.GoldMoney.com
      Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.
      Holding number 50-08-58-L

      Donors of $750 or more will, upon request,
      be sent a print of Alain Despert's colorful
      painting symbolizing our cause, titled "GATA."

      GATA is a civil rights and educational
      organization under the U.S. Internal Revenue
      Code and contributions to it are tax-deductible
      in the United States.

      -END-