A New Year

  • Eunice Bench
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011

        Already into the first week of the new year and my thoughts are turning to Spring! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season.
       If you are like me, it is always nice to see the season come and go.
       January seems to be a time of reflection for me. By now, I am starting to yearn for longer days and warmer ones too. So, I turn to looking at gardening magazines and online sites, getting my order ready for chickens and of course gearing up for lambing. I also have a tendency too, to clean out closets and get rid of "stuff" or at least box it up for another time that I might actually "use" it. I also like to get the barn in order for those tense moments during lambing. The more order I have the more time I have. Like most of us, I am still working on order.

       Don Kniffen will be going out to Reno, Nv. at the end of January to represent NJ at the annual ASI meeting. Don has represented NJ for as long as I can remember and we are thankful for that. Each year, The American Sheep Industry supports our festival with a given amount of money which has certainly helped.

       We will resume festival meetings again in February. The date will be announced as we get closer to Feb. The committees for the festival are always a lot of fun and if you haven't joined us, please consider this year as "the" year to start. The festival will host the Gotland breed this year which is very exciting.

       A Spring host family/farm is in the works and as soon as we have a date we will let you know. The fall meeting was a success and we hope that it catches on with everyone what fun a meeting is when it's at a home/farm. It is also a nice to get others' ideas from their farms on how they keep their sheep.

       Ballots went out as did membership forms. If you did not receive one, please notify us and we will send you one or you may fill out a membership form from the website.

       Another year ahead for the Garden State Sheep Breeders!

       Stay warm........

           Eunice