Re: to Chris from [gang8] Digest Number 81

  • AMI
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2000
      EUROFOLLIES
      Dear Chris,
      I'd agree with Gunnar, the new Euro is not only about economics, but mostly
      about politics - political power, or at least potential power. Also consider the
      possibility that utilizing competitive monetary tactics between a number of small states
      can create more damage than any local adjustment benefits derived. This is the case
      regarding the current competition between our States over corporate taxation policies.
      The effect has been for corporations to play one state against another, and the mere
      threat of relocation brings on sumptuous tax and incentive goodies, so that the most
      powerful and wealthy corporations are not paying their share of costs. The same process
      goes on with more local government such as cities.
      The US model of shifting from a dozen state issued currencies to a single
      federal one, is the closest historical analogy to the new Euro. We read of how this was
      resisted for awhile at the state level. But after adoption we don't read of serious
      problems resulting, until nearly 30 years later when the private 2nd US Bank, engaged in
      a criminal monetary expansion in 1817-19, throwing the nation into economic and
      financial dissaray, and then went into its criminal deflation phase in 1819-20
      especially starving the southern states for money, and sowing seeds of dissension and
      Civil War.
      These were largely the results of private ownership and control of the US money
      system. Certainly the fact that the system had been centralized allowed the malefactors
      to do much more evil than they could have if the system was diffused, but the new Euro
      does not have this type of control problem since nearly all the ECB's owners are
      themselves governmentally owned.
      Of course insisting that the ESCB be run by what Michael generously calls "idiot
      'technocrats,' immune to political overrides," is almost guaranteed to cause some
      problems, but those are the same people who were recently controlling Europe's various
      national currencies. I think no one would be surprised if they continue to try to favor
      their former/future employers, perceived class affiliation, even friends and former
      classmates; in the monetary policies they promote; through the "Price Stability" mantra
      for example.
      But stating in the ECB founding documents that there will be no political
      influence, Is (I hope) a futile desire of the bankers, and really indicates the
      potential for the opposite - for a reasonable political input. Its already there in the
      founding documents in the amended article two:
      "To promote throughout the Community a Harmonious and balanced
      development of economic activities, sustainable and non-inflationary
      growth respecting the environment, a high level of
      employment and of social protection, the raising of the standard of
      living and quality of life, and economic and social cohesion and
      solidarity among Member States."
      This was not written by bankers! But then they attempt to throw a monkey wrench
      into it, proclaiming that those goals shall not prejudice price stability.
      The final arguments I'll put forward to expect what I regard as good political
      influence on the ECB is the fact that when the Bundesbank refused years ago to go along
      with the EURO plans, they were told by the then German Govt. that the laws would be
      changed to lessen the importance of what the Bundesbank thought.
      Finally the divergence of languages and national feelings will, I think provide
      an extra political block to the bankers inevetible attempts to take advantage of the
      system.
      But I repeat from an earlier gang8 email : The great importance of the Euro is
      to have a system independent of the $. The European states are giving up a degree of
      sovereignty to the Eur. community, but the European Community is potentially gaining a
      lot of sovereignty in the process, away from Alan Greenspan's dollar hammer, and all
      that that means.
      (I've been trying to get a copy of F. A. Hayek's nobel prize winning book on
      competing currencies, the denationalization of money. Gang 8 members will be interested
      to know that it is not available- unknown - in the vast midwest states inter - library
      loan system. Is it so bad its being hidden? The only thing they had was an 8 page review
      of Hayek's idea, by Yeager)
      Regards,
      Stephen