[gwmg] - Re: Sci-fi vs Sci fan and other

  • dmh71@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
      >But seriously, thanks for the reminder. Anyone know how big a praying
      >mantis can get?

      In my bug bible, the largest praying mantid is 120 mm long (in the US).
      The longest walking stick is 325 mm (in the tropics). The largest
      centipede recorded is the one in India (or thereabouts) that feeds on
      mice, is 1'. I have seen moths with a 8" wingspan and grasshoppers 5"
      long (in the same display). National Geographic had some beetles that ate
      whole carrots (6-9" long). There was a dragonfly that was 2' long, it
      died out 300+ million years ago. The Eastern Toe Biter (a giant water
      bug), is 3-5" long with grasping forelegs 1" long (they eat small fish,
      frogs, etc.). And the largest horsefly I have seen is 2" (and pinned).

      Derek

      PS- How to Know the Insects by Bland & Jaques.

      >-Chris

      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
    • gwrakeen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
        Don't know about the Mantis, but down here in South Texas, walking sticks
        can get upwards of 8 inches.
        I've seen locusts from Brazil that are at least 4 inches long. Our
        tarantulascan have a body length of over 2 inches.

        And I would've sworn that dmh71 said 2 inches long. Sorry about that,
        chief.

        BUT, aren't tapeworms technically insects? If so, there goes the 2 foot
        long theory.

        88{)>
        Clay Dugger
        JOB 30: 28-30
        http://members.tripod.com/~duggerc/gw.html

        On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 01:27:32 -0500 Chris Conboy <CConboy@...>
        writes:
        >Clay,
        >
        >Clay B Dugger wrote:
        >>
        >> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:26:33 -0500 dmh71@... writes:
        >> >While I do like the definition to a point, here are somethings
        >that
        >> >would be under Sci fan due to it:
        >> >... insects over 2' long...
        >>
        >> You mean, like, walking sticks and praying mantis and centipedes
        >and
        >> millipedes and caterpillars and Monarch Butterflies and Emperor
        >scorpions
        >> and tarantulas and ...?
        >> And that is only in the US. Take a gander at some of those
        >Brazilian
        >> insects! Skateboards!
        >
        >...I think all those guys are only 1' 9" long, so these aren't really
        >SciFi...
        >
        ><g>
        >
        >But seriously, thanks for the reminder. Anyone know how big a
        >praying
        >mantis can get?
        >
        >-Chris

        >Internet FileZone: Always FREE!
        >Instantly store & access your valuable PC files on the net,
        >from any Web browser.
        >SIGN UP NOW - http://offers.egroups.com/click/235/0
        >
        >eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
      • Chris Conboy
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
          A mantis can get over a yard in length? Holy Sh@@!!

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
            No, Chris. 120 cm would be over a yard. It would have to be almost
            1000 mm to be a yard.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
              Yes, good to clarify. Thanks, I missed that. So please excuse the
              profanity. A decimeter or so I can make sense of. Maybe we should do a
              Gamma Bugs Voting Page. Whaddya think?

              Actually when I first started Gamma Worlding I had a couple players who
              constantly reminded the rest of us how ludicrous and impossible all the
              bugs (particularly) and other mutants were, and the sci-fi special
              effects in general. I think maybe they just helped rub the game in that
              much more deeply for me and the rest. We had a lot of fun to be sure.

              -Chris

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
                On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 13:11:43 -0500 Chris Conboy <CConboy@...>
                writes:
                >Yes, good to clarify. Thanks, I missed that. So please excuse the
                >profanity. A decimeter or so I can make sense of. Maybe we should do
                >a Gamma Bugs Voting Page. Whaddya think?

                Gamma Bugs! Cool!

                >Actually when I first started Gamma Worlding I had a couple players
                >who constantly reminded the rest of us how ludicrous and impossible all
                >the bugs (particularly) and other mutants were, and the sci-fi special
                >effects in general.

                These are probably the same people who take all the magic stuff in AD&D
                in stride, without batting an eye.

                > I think maybe they just helped rub the game in
                >that much more deeply for me and the rest. We had a lot of fun to be
                >sure.

                Fun is the only reason I play, man.

                >-Chris

                88{)>
                Clay Dugger
                JOB 30: 28-30
                http://members.tripod.com/~duggerc/gw.html

                or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
              • J-Man
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
                  > Yes, good to clarify. Thanks, I missed that. So please excuse the
                  > profanity. A decimeter or so I can make sense of. Maybe we should do a
                  > Gamma Bugs Voting Page. Whaddya think?

                  Yeah yeah!

                  Singing <to tune of "Soul Man">: I'm a soul..Besh....

                  J-Man
                  ICQ# 2843475
                  Email : j-man@...
                  Home Page : http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/5823/