[gwmg] - Re: Blue Skin

  • dmh71@juno.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
      > For those who don't have the module, the Loyalty Touch crap meant if
      > he touched someone, it was a mental attack that if successful, made the

      > victim permanently his loyal servant (as long as the Blue Man lived and
      had
      > the mutation). The permanent part was way too much and the MP score of

      > 26 was ridiculous.

      So he is like the Mule from the Foundation series. That book was the only
      one I did not read but I think that the Mule could manipulate the mind of
      people just by thinking about it (inc whole armies). That is what I
      picked up from the next book in the series. I am right anyone?

      Derek
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Thorn
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
        How about the cuddlies from Deathlands? Chris has an excellent description
        on his page for them. All they would need is stats.

        Thorn
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
          > Speaking of gremlins, now that would be a "valid" creature
          conversion, yes?

          There ya go, Bill (or Derek)! How 'bout some stats on Gizmo, Spike and
          the rest of the Gremlins (Furby's ?)!...Oops! I said the "F" word...oh
          well..how 'bout Pikachu?...Now I've really done it!

          <Hiding from the barrage that will no doubt follow>

          Jolan'Tru,
          Millennium
        • Stephen Patterson
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
            > For those who don't have the module, the Loyalty Touch crap meant if
            > he
            > touched someone, it was a mental attack that if successful, made the
            > victim
            > permanently his loyal servant (as long as the Blue Man lived and had
            > the
            > mutation). The permanent part was way too much and the MP score of 26
            > was
            > ridiculous.

            Thank the Great Birds, that I didn't get such a travesty. :)

            I've noticed this aspect in T$R products, a concept which I call
            "Hypocrisy Creep"; this is the tendency
            to include "super" levels of mutations, ultra-convenient variants on
            basic mutations - which Player Characters simply
            have no access to or are 'discriminated against' because of their
            "background" or "game balance".

            My beef: Players should have a) access to such tools, for their
            characters - even if they can 'copy' the advantage OR
            b) rule the effect out, as illegitimate; a fair GM should think of other
            ways to challenge players. Not turn the game
            into a variation on the Cold War.
          • John Horton
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
              At 06:32 AM 3/1/00 -0500, dmh71@... wrote:
              >> For those who don't have the module, the Loyalty Touch crap meant if
              >> he touched someone, it was a mental attack that if successful, made the
              >
              >> victim permanently his loyal servant (as long as the Blue Man lived and
              >had
              >> the mutation). The permanent part was way too much and the MP score of
              >
              >> 26 was ridiculous.
              >
              >So he is like the Mule from the Foundation series. That book was the only
              >one I did not read but I think that the Mule could manipulate the mind of
              >people just by thinking about it (inc whole armies). That is what I
              >picked up from the next book in the series. I am right anyone?
              >
              >Derek

              Yes, that's pretty much it. He described it as being able to set their
              emotions as if he were turning a dial to a particular setting (anger,
              happiness, loyalty, etc.). IIRC, he could build up an army, but only by
              doing it person by person. I may be wrong, because I think there were
              times when he "influenced" rooms full of people, but I'm pretty sure he was
              still doing it one person at a time. In one example, he caused a scientist
              to work himself to death by boosting the energy the guy was putting into
              thinking at the expense of his physical health. In another example, he
              charged up another character with bravado, causing him to stand up to some
              cops who were about to make trouble. In the context of the story, this
              mutation was used well, but its all-powerful nature makes it quite
              ill-suited to use in a game (IMHO). In my GW, I include a toned-down
              version that is more like the "Charm Person" spell from D&D (or the
              Illusionist spell "Emotion").

              John
            • Tormentor
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000

                Exactly, thank you. You have voiced my concern precisely, so I need not
                type it in :)

                > My beef: Players should have a) access to such tools, for their
                > characters - even if they can 'copy' the advantage OR
                > b) rule the effect out, as illegitimate; a fair GM should think of other
                > ways to challenge players. Not turn the game
                > into a variation on the Cold War.

                <SOAPBOX>

                I always use my random character generator to make up NPC's. I might tweak
                a little, but that is mostly just fleshing out mutations that were randomly
                rolled, dealing with duplicate mutations, etc.

                If the rules are supposed to enforce "game balance", then they should apply
                to the adversaries as well as the players. As a GM, you have plenty of
                other options to make it challenging.

                I got shot down in flames and ridiculed (by list members - probably my own
                buddy Brutorz Bill if I remember correctly- not just WOTC folks :) on the
                Alternity/GW list because I disagreed with the new Alternity/GW critter
                samples versus character creation system posted by the WOTC guys.

                It is no secret I vehemently disagree with the Alternity "points" system,
                and that I am a die-hard supporter of the "random, classic" GW character
                generation system. They kind of talked about how the GW mutants would not
                have any more mutation points to use than the regular Alternity mutant rules
                in the PHB. They also said they held to the rules about a set number of
                Amazing, Good, and Ordinary mutations. The Alternity mutant system makes
                for far weaker mutants.

                I expressed my displeasure that the sample creatures posted to the list were
                not held to the same rules about limited number of Amazing, Good, Ordinary
                mutations. (I think one sample had 2 amazing mutations...naughty, naughty
                design team :) The creatures were not forced to have a certain number of
                defects to "balance" them the way player characters were.

                Collins and some other list members explained this by pointing out to me
                that the stable species wouldn't have defects like the single, unique player
                characters would. I just don't agree that the same level of defects, and
                restrictions would devastate a creature species as adversaries. If it would
                be enough to "ruin" a creature species as Andy purports, then the rules are
                enough to "ruin" a player character in my opinion!

                Anyway, I will buy Alternity/GW, I already own lots of Alternity
                products...but I just have a hard time seeing myself adhere to the rules as
                they are written for GW. I am gonna wait and see before making too many
                snap judgements though. I have already let myself form some premature
                opinions based on the samples/previews the WOTC folks were so kind to give
                out in the other list. I should wait till I have book in hand before going
                too far down the path of critiquing.

                </SOAPBOX>

                --
                Tormentor (Neil Whitlow)
                Tormentor@...
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                  Aww... and I was thinking about using the Gummy Bears in my campaign too...
                  ::chuckles::

                  Speaking of which, when are you going to Contact me?

                  Lance,
                  Defender of the Green Folk.
                • FoozIebot@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                    I'm suddenly reminded of a Magic: The Gathering Card I had described to me
                    once.. Evil Incarnate. the numbers and abilities were ungodly, but the true
                    horror of it was the illustration. It was a Cheerful-looking mouse, wrapped
                    up in a warm scarf, sitting in an easy chair by a roaring fireplace, with a
                    mug of hot cocoa, and worst of all, a friendly smile, and rosy cheeks.

                    ::shudders::

                    Lance,
                    Defender of the Green Folk.
                  • FoozIebot@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                      I'm liking what I hear about Alternity GW less and less... Methinks I'll just
                      stick to 4th Ed.

                      Lance,
                      Defender of the Green Folk.
                    • Fabian Benavente
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
                        >I'm liking what I hear about Alternity GW less and less... Methinks I'll
                        just
                        >stick to 4th Ed.

                        Excuse if I missed somethng, but what is it that you don't like?

                        L8r,

                        Fabian
                        Star*Drive PBEM "Borderolle's Destiny", New and Updated Site!
                        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/3429/pageA1.htm
                      • Brutorz Bill
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2000
                          >From: Chris Conboy <cconboy@...>
                          >How you coming on that Sailor Moon conversion, Bill?
                          Oh yeah now there is a disturbing idea!!
                          >=Chris
                          >
                          >(ps: I think "Smufs" was the porn flick version, right?)
                          Shh, don't tell the warden she's mad enough at me as it is. ; )
                          The Internet Exile,
                          Brutorz Bill
                        • Brutorz Bill
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5, 2000
                            >From: "Chris Cannaday" <cannaday@...>
                            >Speaking of that, Mr. Bill, does having blue skin suggest that they (the
                            >feared Smurfs) all have water soluable skin? Or perhaps they shapechange
                            >into a "Gremlin"-type critter when wet...oh the possiblities!! I hate to
                            >encourage you about this, but I couldn't resist. :)
                            >Greymulken
                            So many ideas... so little time... I'll have to put that under my future
                            development section. Cool suggestions, thanx.
                            Bill