Re: [gwmg] - Creatures - After man

  • Tetsubo
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
      On 6/1/2013 2:52 AM, Andrew Abney wrote:

      I have been compiling work for a graphic novel of sorts (more of a picture book for adults) that takes place a few million years (give or take a one or two) after a man dutifully destroys the environment and himself (with few exceptions) with it.

      I am aiming for a rather dark view of the recovering earth, but with a strong GW vibe.  But I noticed I have some serious ecological gaps.   So  I am looking for some brain storming type ideation to help me flesh out the ecosystem of my new near-supercontinent.

      Start chucking!

      Andrew
          What gaps are you attempting to fill? I don't work well with a blank sheet of paper...

      --
      Tetsubo
      Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
        I have a few homind-esque forming societies derived from rather adaptable omnivores.

        I need to fill in herbivors, especially in forest and wetlands.  I am particularly interested in sea life, at least possibly some good reference reading on marine evolution.  I am also not completely happy with my terrestrial predators.  Reptiles,lizards, and birds have been my main inspiration there, as they have done quite well long before we started mucking about with things.  But some of what I am not please with there is anatomical, and I am building models of the creatures to use as references for the drawings and paintings.

        I have not given much thought to desert eco-sytems yet (next on my list), and I haven't started on jungle/rainforest (beyond insects) or arctic environments.

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
          On 6/1/2013 3:52 AM, Andrew Abney wrote:

          I have a few homind-esque forming societies derived from rather adaptable omnivores.

          I need to fill in herbivors, especially in forest and wetlands.  I am particularly interested in sea life, at least possibly some good reference reading on marine evolution.  I am also not completely happy with my terrestrial predators.  Reptiles,lizards, and birds have been my main inspiration there, as they have done quite well long before we started mucking about with things.  But some of what I am not please with there is anatomical, and I am building models of the creatures to use as references for the drawings and paintings.

          I have not given much thought to desert eco-sytems yet (next on my list), and I haven't started on jungle/rainforest (beyond insects) or arctic environments.

          Andrew
              I think a good idea is to model things after what we know now. What are the most adaptable animals in our world? Which ones seem to thrive regardless of where they go? Or ones that are *expanding* their territory even in the face of humans. Even though other animals types are interesting, mammals are solid contenders. Rats, foxes, coyotes, squirrels are all expanding and moving about really well right now. I think they would do equally well once we are no longer in the picture. House cats and domestic dogs would also do well. Perhaps filling in any missing predator niches. These are what I can think of off the top of my head.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
            I have been working off existing structures.  Speculative zoology is an interesting subject matter, as is speculative botany and climatology.  The first question I have to ask is what would survive the toxic and possibly radioactive envronments we would leave behind, then how would they change and adapt in 30-50 million years.

            Then I come up with a variety of species all evolved from cockroaches.  :D

            All kidding aside, so far I have relied on my familiarity with current zoology and paleontology to create the creatures that inhabit the new world.  I have to be honest, the arthropods have been frighteningly fun.

            One way around this, and to keep it more GW-esque would be to shorten my time span, and through in more genetically modified and directed mutations.  That could add a whole Mad Max/Damnation Alley sort of scenario.  But that isn't where I want this project to go.  Perhaps the next one.  Perhaps not...

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
              On 6/1/2013 4:48 AM, Andrew Abney wrote:

[...]

                  Are you married to the concept that chemical and nuclear waste is common? Perhaps humanity didn't go out with a 'bang'. But on a time scale of millions of years, those type of wastes are immaterial. They won't last that long. A few thousand, perhaps tens of thousands of years tops. I still think my suggested list of mammal species holds water.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                Certainly by the time the earth recovers, chemical and radioactive wastelands would be a rarity.  There would still be a few barren spots were only the most resiliant of life would survive, due to high concentrations of metal salts, and by products of radioactive decay.

                It is the the first few thousand years, that will be telling.  I as far as mammals go, those that are more scavenger and omnivorous would win out, long term.  That is not to say, that niche left behind by "A" predators  like cats would stay unfilled for long.  As eco-systems balance back out, those forms would, I think, re-occur.  Possibly based on the structure of coyotes, that begin to take on a more feline profile.  Even more interesting would be a cat-like reptile.  Crocodillians would possibly thrive, and possibly regain a terrestrial foothold.  I could also see packs of predatory rats filling niches previously filled by canine predators.

                Herbivors have been more difficult to consider.  After we have stripped the world bare in our fight to survive, and as many contemporary grazers and browsers have become more dependent on human agriculture to survive,  There would only be a handful that would survive, and probably smaller species.  These would then be able to explode into niches currently dominated by larger herbivors.

                Andrew

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                  On 6/1/2013 5:29 AM, Andrew Abney wrote:

[...]

                      I think rabbits, gophers and woodchucks might be good starting points. Or diversified rats. No reason an omnivore can't become an herbivore.

                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                    That would be an interesting evolutionary pattern.  Similar to gorillas I suppose.

                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                      Back in the early 80's I remember seeing a book with that title (After Man). Maybe you could track it down at a library and mine it for ideas.

                      I have been compiling work for a graphic novel of sorts (more of a picture book for adults) that takes place a few million years (give or take a one or two) after a man dutifully destroys the environment and himself (with few exceptions) with it.

                      I am aiming for a rather dark view of the recovering earth, but with a strong GW vibe.  But I noticed I have some serious ecological gaps.   So  I am looking for some brain storming type ideation to help me flesh out the ecosystem of my new near-supercontinent.

                      Start chucking!

                      Andrew
                    • Thomas O. Magann Jr.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                          On 6/1/2013 9:09 AM, Ralph Glatt wrote:

                          Back in the early 80's I remember seeing a book with that title (After Man). Maybe you could track it down at a library and mine it for ideas.

                              Dougal Dixon: After Man, The New Dinosaurs and Man After Man. Must have books for any gamer.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                            • Hunter Rose
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                                Two words for you - feral pigs. I would base at least one aggressive land omnivore on that species especially considering what a serious problem they already are today. Imagine a future porcine with added growth factors to increase their pork yield. Nasty dire boars with an intelligence that rivals a canine.

                                Mike

                                --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Abney <aabney66@...> wrote:

                                > I have been compiling work for a graphic novel of sorts (more of a picture book for adults) that takes place a few million years (give or take a one or two) after a man dutifully destroys the environment and himself (with few exceptions) with it.
                                > �
                                > I am aiming for a rather dark view of the recovering earth, but with a strong GW vibe.� But I noticed I have some serious ecological gaps.�� So� I am looking for some brain storming type ideation to help me flesh out the ecosystem of my new near-supercontinent.
                                > �
                                > Start chucking!
                                > �
                                > Andrew

                              • Tetsubo
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                                  On 6/2/2013 12:19 AM, Hunter Rose wrote:

                                  Two words for you - feral pigs. I would base at least one aggressive land omnivore on that species especially considering what a serious problem they already are today. Imagine a future porcine with added growth factors to increase their pork yield. Nasty dire boars with an intelligence that rivals a canine.

                                  Mike

                                      Transgenetic pigs play  a major role in the races that populate the After the Bomb (Second Edition) game.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 1, 2013
                                    On 6/1/2013 11:00 PM, Joseph Wolf wrote:

                                        Also involving Dougal Dixon.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 2, 2013
                                      Orcs? really? Someone went there for a PA?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 2, 2013
                                        On 6/2/2013 3:01 AM, Thomas O. Magann Jr. wrote:

                                        Orcs? really? Someone went there for a PA?

                                            I suppose if your preferred orcs are pig-like. I prefer my orcs to be like Klingons. But there are a number of genetically stable porcine races in the AtB book. I highly recommend it for the mutant animal rules.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 2, 2013
                                          Warhammer 40K

                                          Okay so it is space/fantasy, but there are some distinct PA influences.

                                          Andrew

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 2, 2013
                                            They always seem to have snouts and small tusks when I see them pictured, not corrugated forheads, so.. Yep, porcine comes to mind. Doesn't matter the derivation, they all seem to act the same.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 2, 2013
                                              Which version of After the Bomb do you recommend.  The original world setting for uses with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Stranges rules from the mid/late 80s, or the complete RPG version published in 2001 using the Megaversal system?  I think they were from the same author as well.

                                              The TMNT system wasn't too bad as I recall.

                                              Andrew

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 3, 2013
                                                On 6/2/2013 9:30 PM, Andrew Abney wrote:

                                                Which version of After the Bomb do you recommend.  The original world setting for uses with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Stranges rules from the mid/late 80s, or the complete RPG version published in 2001 using the Megaversal system?  I think they were from the same author as well.

                                                The TMNT system wasn't too bad as I recall.
                                                    The stand-alone, second edition is far superior. The book is worth the price just for the spider-goats.

                                                Andrew

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 3, 2013
                                                  Yep, that's the book I remember. Unfortunately, I didn't have 1e Gamma World at that time.