GW Weather

  • northerntroll
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2012
      Hey folks,

      Got a couple questions Derek asked me to relay:

      What is winter like in your Gamma Terra?

      How does it differ from today's real world climate?
    • Thomas O. Magann Jr.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2012
        Cold an wet, same as reality. Latitude and longitude haven't changed, and, mostly, neither have the mountains. Weather isn't all that different. Oh, the rain might be acidic for a few years after, but really, not much would be different with the weather without a MAJOR geophysical redesign. That's rather more apocalypse than I make allowances for.

        >Hey folks,
        >
        >Got a couple questions Derek asked me to relay:
        >
        >What is winter like in your Gamma Terra?
        >
        >How does it differ from today's real world climate?

      • Lizard
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
          I'd throw in the possibility of ultra-tech weather control devices which
          may be malfunctioning in strange ways. Think of technologies designed to
          keep desert areas irrigated, or restore old weather patterns altered by
          the heat pollution from large cities, or otherwise adjust the climate
          either to meet human needs, or to counteract changes wrought by human
          actions, or both (disagreements over the "correct" climate were probably
          part of the Apocalypse).

          Weather control as a weapon of war (either ruin the enemy's climate, or
          turn off the systems which changed their climate for the better) would
          be a big part of future war -- it's already something DARPA and similar
          agencies have studies on.

          There could be machines that generate directed tsunamis.

          Earthquake faults may have been stabilized with massive geoengineering,
          or new faults created by thermal drilling that cracked the crust in places.

          The buckling of the continental plates unleashed scores of new
          volcanoes, which sent out plumes of ash that could make much of the
          world much colder (look up what Krakatoa did), not to mention the entire
          'nuclear winter' concept.

          Even a slight change in axial tilt, possible with the kind of weapons
          Gamma World proposes, could shift the climate.
        • Andrew Abney
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
            A great deal would depend on the nature of the "apocalypse" and how long things had to recover.  There are models the indicate that after a long nuclear winter, one could see a gradual warming to a near rainforest like environment.  With little or no surviving ice cap and moisture laden highly oxygenated atmosphere, much like in the time before man.  Others lay odds on a more serious warming with vast deserts, and severe storm systems.

            I have played in two "gamma terra" worlds with different environmental outcomes.  One was a more natural catastrophe that choked out most life.  What arose from the dust plumes was a lush vegetative world, much like the early Pleistocene, with similar weather patterns.

            The second was based on a early cold war nuclear war.  Outside of pockets of intense radioactive wastelands (fun fun fun), the world was in an accelerated pattern of global warming.  Which created warm shallow debris filled seas, lost coastal areas, and swaths of barren plains and near deserts.

            Andrew

            Got a couple questions Derek asked me to relay:

            What is winter like in your Gamma Terra?

            How does it differ from today's real world climate?

          • randolph carsten
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
              rainey season on lower lat's snow in upper. also it's one of the periods when I hit "em with debri storms. a concept lifted from the short story version of Damnation Alley by Roger Zelanzey(?), mega tons of solid debri where kicked into the strosphere by the various weapons used in the great war. periodicly the air currents dip groundward dumping the trash in a hail of concreate, warped metal, and just about anything the GM wants to toss in for flavor. over time i've dropped everything from tombstones to the prow of a boat.
              a more soft science aproach but it does work.

              Got a couple questions Derek asked me to relay:

              What is winter like in your Gamma Terra?

              How does it differ from today's real world climate?

            • bmoondancer
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 6, 2012
                One of the things that I planned on doing, but never got a chance to was be very, very evil. Desert, nuclear explosions, lots of heat, silca forms glass, glass erodes, instead of sand storms, you end up with glass storms, which "shreds" most materials that it encounters. I figured one area like that would be good, and have life forms that mutated to survive the glass, either extra thick hide (armor), an ability to "phase" through silica (walks through stone/glass) or a mineral based life form.

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                  Derek asked me to post this:

                  Thanks everyone for your replies on the weather questions.

                  I have another - what have you done with sea level rise or fall?

                  Considering that a complete meltdown will raise the level 70 meters
                  and another Ice Age may drop it as much, there are a lot of possibilities
                  for coastal regions being very wet or very dry.
                • Thomas O. Magann Jr.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                    >I have another - what have you done with sea level rise or fall?
                    >
                    >Considering that a complete meltdown will raise the level 70 meters
                    >and another Ice Age may drop it as much, there are a lot of possibilities
                    >for coastal regions being very wet or very dry.

                    Again, here I don't go for major changes to the planet's systems. After all, a rise in sea level is a result of a rise in global average temperature, and a fall is a global decline. An apocalypse doesn't need to be that grand on a planetary scale, just on a human one.

                    That being said: I ahve changed coast lines. Not only atomic weapons hitting port cities, but , especially around the Pacific, triggering of massive earthquakes can make for some altered coasts.

                    After all, look what a single tsunami did to japan. Now imagin e several of them triggered at monthly intervals. HUman loss might well become total, or ear enough, and the coasts will have changes a bit , but the island ill still be thee with nature recovering.

                    I want my Gamma Earth to still be Earth. But that's me.
                  • zirra_scrohunter
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, " Thomas O. Magann Jr." <tmagann@...> wrote:

                      > >I have another - what have you done with sea level rise or fall?
                      > >
                      > >Considering that a complete meltdown will raise the level 70 meters and another Ice Age may drop it as much, there are a lot of possibilities for coastal regions being very wet or very dry.
                      > >

                      > Again, here I don't go for major changes to the planet's systems. After all, a rise in sea level is a result of a rise in global average temperature, and a fall is a global decline. An apocalypse doesn't need to be that grand on a planetary scale, just on a human one.
                      >
                      > That being said: I have changed coast lines. Not only atomic weapons hitting port cities, but, especially around the Pacific, triggering of massive earthquakes can make for some altered coasts.
                      >
                      > After all, look what a single tsunami did to japan. Now imagine several of them triggered at monthly intervals. Human loss might well become total, or near enough, and the coasts will have changes a bit, but the island will still be there with nature recovering.
                      >
                      > I want my Gamma Earth to still be Earth. But that's me.

                      My thoughts are similar. While thermonuclear strikes on a global scale could certainly melt the ice caps (probably not entirely, since the strikes would not be ON the ice caps themselves), the years Without Summer (2381-88) in the Dragon Timeline could have replenished them. Also, though I don't recall exactly when on the timeline, there is a mention of massive tectonic shifts, most likely an aftereffect of the Apocalypse. Those can account for coastline changes.
                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 12, 2012
                        > Considering that a complete meltdown will raise the level 70 meters
                        > and another Ice Age may drop it as much, there are a lot of possibilities
                        > for coastal regions being very wet or very dry.

                        If nukes or kenetic weapons (i.e. massdrivers from orbit or the moon) were used in the apocalypse the particulate matter dispersed from the strikes would likely cause nuclear winter or another ice age and not global warming. The dispersed particulates would increase the planet's albedo and create rapid cooling and this would then be acerbated by the accumualtion of snow and expansion of glaciers. It's more likely that we could get glaciers expanding down to the Caucauses as in the Pleistocene Epoch. Plus it's been mentioned before that in the shadow years the ancients had access to weather control technology so at least before the apocalypse it is likely global warming was not an issue. Still there may have been a period of global warming while the weather technology was being developed. If you really want to get information on how the coast would change there are programs that will show the costal changes from a rise in sea level. I am sure if you do searches for sea level rise and global warming on Google you should find these programs easily (I'm pretty sure there is one associated with the NOAA site).

                        On another note every geologist that I've ever talked to has assured me that the San Adreas Fault is not the type of fault line that would cause the California coastline to pull away from the continental United States and create a separate island or fall into the Pacific Ocean (I think geologists refer to the San Adreas fault as a compression fault and not an expansion fault), so the idea of California falling into the sea or the San Fernando Vally becoming the San Fernando Sea is more of a Hollywood fantasy that has no basis in reality. It's still a cool idea though.

                        Mike
                      • Nicole Massey
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 12, 2012
                          The San Andreas fault is shifting northward, according to what I've been
                          told, so it's moving toward Alaska. Arthur C Clarke did a novel about some
                          of this, with some theorizing about stabilizing points to lock the fault by
                          fusing the plates. It's called Richter 10.