Re: Music for Gamma World

  • Michael Stoler
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      From a classical perspective you might want to check out all movements of Gustav Holst's orchestral suite "The Planets" particularly the "Mars" and "Jupiter" movements.  I have also found that the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony (Allegretto) is great mood setting music for a conflict or trial.  As the movement builds to its crescendo it just injects more and more tension into the scene.  Finally a good background choice is music by Tangerine Dream.  Most of their work is ambient so there is no distracting drum track and their music just seems to unobtrusively fill in the spaces not taken up by your gaming session.  Major props to you for including some Devo in your list.  If all cyberpunk is techno then, at least to me, all Gamma World is Devo.

      Mike

    • Nicole Massey
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Debussy also provides some interesting background music. For woodland
        terrain Smetana's Ma Vlast is a great option. And let's not forget Howard
        Hanson's second symphony, Romantic, which provided much of the soundtrack
        music for Alien.

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          I've never had any Gamma World specific music at my gaming sessions before. But I've always wanted some theme music to play for certain situations like combat, extended skill tests, mysterious revelations, etc. I always thought some of the theme music from the original Star Trek TV series would be great for almost any RPG but particularly for GW. I wish there was a CD of theme music from Star Trek & other scifi shows to play during dramatic events.

          Derek S.
        • Robert Weber
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
            I love Google. :)
            http://www.google.com/search?q=star+trek+soundtracks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

            That link (sorry about the cumbersome length) will take you to a Google search page that offers many series & movie soundtracks of the various Star Treks.

            If you aren't about buying an, I would suggest a free internet radio service that is customizable, like Pandora or Slacker. They have free versions as well as subscriptions. I am not too familiar with Slacker, but Pandora can be customized to play composers & will automatically add other music that is similar.

            I hook up my laptop to my stereo & let my free Pandora station rip during play. :)
            Bobjester

            --- On Tue, 2/1/11, Derek Shakabpa <wdshakabpa@...> wrote:
            > I've never had any Gamma World specific music at my gaming
            > sessions before.  But I've always wanted some theme
            > music to play for certain situations like combat, extended
            > skill tests, mysterious revelations, etc.  I always
            > thought some of the theme music from the original Star Trek
            > TV series would be great for almost any RPG but particularly
            > for GW.  I wish there was a CD of theme music from Star
            > Trek & other scifi shows to play during dramatic
            > events.
            >
            > Derek S.
          • Michael Stoler
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
              Granted this post is completely off topic but since you brazenly displayed your web acumen I was wondering if you could find a link that provides the music to Cartoon Network's "Samurai Jack" series by Genndy Tartakovsky.  It always boggled my mind that they never released a CD of the show's music.  It's mostly techno/electronica based but I am a sucker for a pumping beat.  Thanks in advance!!

              Mike

            • Les Braun
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
                --- On Wed, 2/2/11, Michael Stoler <mjs0075@...> wrote:
                Granted this post is completely off topic but since you brazenly displayed your web acumen I was wondering if you could find a link that provides the music to Cartoon Network's "Samurai Jack" series by Genndy Tartakovsky.  It always boggled my mind that they never released a CD of the show's music.  It's mostly techno/electronica based but I am a sucker for a pumping beat.  Thanks in advance!!

                Mike

                Jack fights in a future apocalytic time against mutants, robots, monsters, and cyborgs. How is that off topic? :P

                I always felt this was a great tribute to the series:

                And for those looking for a bit more techo beat:
                (Though not the original music for the scene (which is good by itself and can be found in the 'related' list along the side) this fits the episode really well)

              • the_last_boy_on_earth
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011
                  I forgot to mention that the game I'm running is online, not face-to-face, so there really wasn't any reason to put together "background music". Now, if I was running a tabletop game, I would probably go the ambiance route and use video game music, in this case the Fallout 3 soundtrack (not Galaxy News Radio or Enclave Radio, but the other stuff).

                  Also, I forgot to note that 'A New Tomorrow' is not also Strangelove's Theme. I added that bit as a joke when I noticed it actually *could* be his theme. I'd also like to note that Up With People is some of the creepiest, plastic, sunshine-up-your-butt music I've ever heard in my life. Brrrrrr!

                  "Thanks for listening, chillllllldren!"