Re: Check out Scientists Say They've Reversed Aging Process in Mice

  • Michael Stoler
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2010
      I think when Andy mentions a strain on resources he is referring to the fact that an immortal being will continue to consume food, clothing, and shelter for a much longer time that a mortal being.  Immortal populations continuing to expand will eventually outstrip the carrying capacity of their environments and force a need for colonization of space and the solar system.  The Kim Stanly Robertson Mars trilogy looks an an immortal (or least life extended population) in some good detail and Robertsion addresses a number of concerns that may arise if this technology became available to the general population.  The books in the trilogy are "Red Mars", "Green Mars", and "Blue Mars".  The main plot of the books is the terraforming of Mars and the immortality vaccine introduced is really more of a mechanizim for the author to have the same characters present in the centuries long terraforming of Mars.

      Mike

    • Les Braun
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2010
        'This Perfect Day' by Ira Levin is yet another take on immortality in the future. A good read even if you're not looking for an 'immortality' slant. :)

        --- On Wed, 12/1/10, Michael Stoler <mjs0075@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Chas
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2010
          What about us Gen Xers I think we are much worse ;-)