Mallard

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
      Holy Mallard-billed Platypus, Chris!! You can make gamma quests out of _anything_.

      And you even have theoretical backup for why it might work.

      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Hinderliter <hinderli1@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > So how can the joke be funny? As originally presented here, it can't. But if told as intended, it stands as an example of another era, when the inherent racism of such humor caused us to laugh, specifically because we knew that such beliefs were wrong. In the process, this response resulted in a guilty pleasure that subconsciously reinforced our understanding that such views were wrong.
      >
      > In other words, the reason people used to find the joke funny could best be answered in the words of Peter Griffin (on the 4th season of The Family Guy):
      > "That's good, old-fashioned family racism."
      >

      > Oookay... so how can this relate to a GW Adventure?
      >
      > Title: Der Witzen Jaeger
      > Initial set-up: The characters have raided a small vault full of ancient books which they figure they might be able to sell to the local Restorationist enclave. Building or acquiring a crude cart from the vault (a shopping cart from the ruins of a supermarket), they start marching towards their prospective buyers, when they come across a tribe that are members of the Followers of the Voice.
      >
      > Complications:
      > 1. This FoV branch has merged into a militant religious group following the orders of the MBC of a small religious book store.
      > 2. The PC's cart includes a large selection of Joke books disparaging that religious organization.
      > 3. One of the FoV steals (or buys) one of these books, reads it and begins preaching against the MBC, which takes offense to this act, then the same guy rats out the PCs as the source of his new found "insights" on what the MBC believes.
      >
      > Just what happens during this scenario is up to the GM:
      > 1. Did this happen when the PCs were with the FoV tribe? Are they arrested? Can they escape or are they forced to do some sort of penance (i.e., quest) to resolve this problem?
      > 2. Did this happen after the PCs left? Will the MBC send out a party to capture them and drag them before it for a trial and punishment?
      > 3. Did this happen long after the PCs left, causing a civil war amongst the "faithful" that may destabilize the entire region, or cause the surviving power to march on the PCs home base to destroy them, or to treat them as sages for freeing them of the dominance of the MBC.
      > 4. If this happened after the PCs left, does the MBC hold a trial, judge them guilty in absentia and send a squad of devout assassins to hunt them down and kill them and their allies, one by one...
      > 5. Does this cause the FoV group to split, with one group attempting to find the PCs, causing political difficulties as they travel around the countryside, showing pictures of the PCs to the locals, and aaking if any have seen these holy saints (or heretics)?
      > 6. Why did the FoV member that took the book, take the up the holy name "Mallard"?
      >
      > Whether or not you believe in the Freudian apporach is up to you, but FWIW, I hope someone can find something usefull in all of this.

    • omega_2064_x2
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010
        Yes. That is it.
        Based on the PA computer game, essentially the sequel that never was.

        --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Michael Stoler <mjs0075@...> wrote:

        > Would the following address be for the webcomic "Inherit the Earth?"
        >
        > http://inherittheearth.net/

      • omega_2064_x2
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010
          I read the comic near the beginning and then lost track of it. Up to the point I stopped the PA reffrences were more or less nil as I recall. I was hoping that there would be some more backstory as to what happened to the human race in the setting.

          The short lived Road Kill comic for Omega World, a PA RPG I published in the late 90s, picks up about 1000 years after the events in Furoic Age. And about 50 years after the Fall of Civilization. It would have followed through to resolution had the company not folded in 2000. Road Kill was Mad Max/Car Wars themed with some elements of Genesis Climber Mospeada.

          Another PA comic is Roz Gibson's 357 and Blacklight series. The event that brings about disaster in that series was the invention of a machine capable of matter transmutation. Most of the human race is moved to a hidden planet in the solar system while the Earth is left to the undesireable people and creatures modified by the machines creators into various sentient and hybrid forms. Not a very pleasant series at all as it follows a sadistic killer across an elaborate plot. But the series gives a good idea what the Gamma World might look like after reconstruction of civilization to some major degree. Very hard to find now other than the 357 comic.

          Broid is another PA comic I came across, following a war vetran woken from suspended animation to battle an advanced and militaristic army. Only seen the first part unfortunately.