A post-apocalyptic summer movie film fest

  • Andrew Campbell
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2010
      With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
      the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
      themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
      means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
      or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
      Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
      you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:

      A Boy and his Dog
      Beneath the Planet of the Apes
      Book of Eli
      Children of Men
      Damnation Alley
      Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
      By Dawn's Early Light
      The Day After
      Day of the Triffids
      The Day the Earth Caught Fire
      Deep Impact
      The End of August at the Hotel Ozone
      Escape from New York
      Final
      The Handmaid's Tale
      The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
      The Last Man
      The Last Man on Earth
      Last Night (the Canadian film by Don McKellar, not the 80's flick)
      Le Dernier Combat
      Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
      The Matrix
      Miracle Mile
      Night of the Comet
      Omega Man
      On The Beach
      Panic in Year Zero
      Planet of the Apes (original)
      The Postman
      The Quiet Earth
      Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse
      The Road
      Road Warrior
      Screamers
      The Stand
      The Terminator
      Testament
      Them!
      Things to Come
      Threads
      The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
      12 Monkeys
      28 Days Later
      When Worlds Collide
      Wizards
      The World, the Flesh and the Devil
      World Without End
      Zardoz
      Zombieland

      Enjoy,

      Andy
    • Vferrar
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2010
        My apologies for not being able to let this one go, but READ 'The Postman' by David Brin. Do NOT watch the movie; Kevin Costner took one of the best Post-Apoc, cerebral stories of hope and survival and made... LandWorld.

        It's an opinion, but one I feel strongly about.

        --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Campbell <kveldulf2000@...> wrote:

        > With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
        > the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
        > themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
        > means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
        > or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
        > Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
        > you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:
        >
        > A Boy and his Dog
        > Beneath the Planet of the Apes
        > Book of Eli
        > Children of Men
        > Damnation Alley
        > Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
        > By Dawn's Early Light
        > The Day After
        > Day of the Triffids
        > The Day the Earth Caught Fire
        > Deep Impact
        > The End of August at the Hotel Ozone
        > Escape from New York
        > Final
        > The Handmaid's Tale
        > The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
        > The Last Man
        > The Last Man on Earth
        > Last Night (the Canadian film by Don McKellar, not the 80's flick)
        > Le Dernier Combat
        > Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
        > The Matrix
        > Miracle Mile
        > Night of the Comet
        > Omega Man
        > On The Beach
        > Panic in Year Zero
        > Planet of the Apes (original)
        > The Postman
        > The Quiet Earth
        > Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse
        > The Road
        > Road Warrior
        > Screamers
        > The Stand
        > The Terminator
        > Testament
        > Them!
        > Things to Come
        > Threads
        > The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
        > 12 Monkeys
        > 28 Days Later
        > When Worlds Collide
        > Wizards
        > The World, the Flesh and the Devil
        > World Without End
        > Zardoz
        > Zombieland
        >
        > Enjoy,
        >
        > Andy

      • Nicole Massey
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2010
          Read it, seen it, and as long as you don't expect either to touch each other
          more than tangentially both are enjoyable. There's so little in Costner's
          movie other than the basic premise that is in the book that it's difficult
          to consider the two as the same thing.

          And I don't see a strong connection between the movie and Waterworld either.
          Though it can be said that all of Costner's films have consistent story
          elements involved much of the time, his sports movies being the exception.

          --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gammaworld%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          Andrew Campbell <kveldulf2000@...> wrote:

          > With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
          > the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
          > themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
          > means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
          > or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
          > Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
          > you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:
          >
          > A Boy and his Dog
          > Beneath the Planet of the Apes
          > Book of Eli
          > Children of Men
          > Damnation Alley
          > Dawn of the Dead (original and remake) By Dawn's Early Light The Day
          > After Day of the Triffids The Day the Earth Caught Fire Deep Impact
          > The End of August at the Hotel Ozone Escape from New York Final The
          > Handmaid's Tale The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
          > The Last Man The Last Man on Earth Last Night (the Canadian film by
          > Don McKellar, not the 80's flick) Le Dernier Combat Mad Max Beyond
          > Thunderdome The Matrix Miracle Mile Night of the Comet Omega Man On
          > The Beach Panic in Year Zero Planet of the Apes (original) The Postman
          > The Quiet Earth Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse The Road Road Warrior
          > Screamers The Stand The Terminator Testament Them!
          > Things to Come
          > Threads
          > The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
          > 12 Monkeys
          > 28 Days Later
          > When Worlds Collide
          > Wizards
          > The World, the Flesh and the Devil
          > World Without End
          > Zardoz
          > Zombieland
          >
          > Enjoy,
          >
          > Andy

        • Jory Earl
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2, 2010
            I COMPLETELY agree. When I watched "Postman" all I could think was
            "Waterworld - on land" and not even as good.. I did end up buying
            waterworld but I won't even watch Postman ever again.

            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2010
              Ah, you've mentioned two that are near and dear to my heart.

              "Le Dernier Combat" excels in showing the struggle for PA survial through small details, dark humor, and memorable images. Top notch acting in what is almost a silent movie. I really need to see that one again one of these days.

              Although it's not technically post-apocalyptic, just post-atomic, "Them!" is the *best* mutant insect B-movie of them all. I've loved it since I was a kid.

              John H.

            • john_davis1234
              Message 6 of 19 , May 19, 2010
                I was just lurking and came across your list of movies. One I noticed was left off is a post-apoc movie called "SHE" has anyone else seen this movie?

              • Soylent Green
                Message 7 of 19 , May 20, 2010
                  Yup, guilty as charged. "She" is a typical example of the 80-s z-grade fantasy movies. It's not the worst of it kind - that honour is reserved to the Italian Mad Max knock off like Warriors of the Wasteland (I Nuovi Barbari)  - but it's hardly an underrated gem.

                  PS
                  Hehe apparently Warriors of the Wasteland is now in the public domain and can be viewed/downloaded here:
                  http://www.archive.org/details/WarriorsOfTheWasteland

                  Still I can't imagine many takers.

                  To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                  From: john_davis1234@...
                  Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:32:20 +0000

                  I was just lurking and came across your list of movies. One I noticed was left off is a post-apoc movie called "SHE" has anyone else seen this movie?

                  --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Campbell <kveldulf2000@...> wrote:

                  > With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
                  > the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
                  > themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
                  > means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
                  > or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
                  > Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
                  > you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:
                  >
                  > A Boy and his Dog
                  > Beneath the Planet of the Apes
                  > Book of Eli
                  > Children of Men
                  > Damnation Alley
                  > Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
                  > By Dawn's Early Light
                  > The Day After
                  > Day of the Triffids
                  > The Day the Earth Caught Fire
                  > Deep Impact
                  > The End of August at the Hotel Ozone
                  > Escape from New York
                  > Final
                  > The Handmaid's Tale
                  > The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
                  > The Last Man
                  > The Last Man on Earth
                  > Last Night (the Canadian film by Don McKellar, not the 80's flick)
                  > Le Dernier Combat
                  > Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
                  > The Matrix
                  > Miracle Mile
                  > Night of the Comet
                  > Omega Man
                  > On The Beach
                  > Panic in Year Zero
                  > Planet of the Apes (original)
                  > The Postman
                  > The Quiet Earth
                  > Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse
                  > The Road
                  > Road Warrior
                  > Screamers
                  > The Stand
                  > The Terminator
                  > Testament
                  > Them!
                  > Things to Come
                  > Threads
                  > The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
                  > 12 Monkeys
                  > 28 Days Later
                  > When Worlds Collide
                  > Wizards
                  > The World, the Flesh and the Devil
                  > World Without End
                  > Zardoz
                  > Zombieland
                  >
                  > Enjoy,
                  >
                  > Andy

                • katkin_kalvin
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 20, 2010
                    --- On Thu, 5/20/10, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:
                    Hehe apparently Warriors of the Wasteland is now in the public domain and can be viewed/downloaded here:
                    http://www.archive org/details/ WarriorsOfTheWas teland

                    Still I can't imagine many takers.
                    ----

                    I don't know.... I bought the DVD....

                    Cheers,
                    John
                  • Soylent Green
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 20, 2010
                      Well you see, that's the kind of thing we don't usually admit to in public.

                      For what it's worth though, I will confess to owning the dvd of "Cherry 2000".

                      To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 21, 2010
                        Well I will admit to owning copies of both of those. Will look to see what else is hiding in my collection of bad movies. Anyone have any other suggestions?

                        To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 21, 2010
                          I am a bit of a connoisseur of bad B (and worse) movies.  I have had the pleasure, or displeasure, or watching Warriors of the Wasteland on numerous occasions.  But I seem to have missed out on the Cherry 2000.  I am not familiar with that one.

                          While not strictly PA, and marketed as a horror movie in the day, The Alligator People remains one of my favorites.  And is stars the ever lovely Beverly Garland as well as Lon Chaney (Jr.).  It offers up an interesting early nuke age origin for humanoid mutants.

                          Andrew

                          To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 21, 2010

                            It's about a city dude in a Mad-Max world hires tracker Melanie Griffith (no, seriously) to find replacement for his broken pleasure driod in the Forbidden Zone.

                            It's actually not too bad by B-movie standards, more 80's TV movie than cheap Italian exploitation on teh lines of Warriors of the Wasteland. That said the actions sequences Melanie Griffith is involved are laugh out loud inept.

                            To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                            From: aabney66@...
                            Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 05:48:08 -0700

                            To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 21, 2010
                              As long as we are going with 80s B (or worse movies) I will have to put in my favorite movie of all time. The PA Classic "Radioactive Dreams".

                              And if anyone knows where I can get a DVD of this one PLEASE let me know. My video wore out awhile ago and haven't been able to watch it.

                              To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com
                              From: aabney66@yahoo. com
                              Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 05:48:08 -0700

                              To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 21, 2010
                                --- On Fri, 5/21/10, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:
                                It's about a city dude in a Mad-Max world hires tracker Melanie Griffith (no, seriously) to find replacement for his broken pleasure driod in the Forbidden Zone.
                                ---

                                Don't forget Laurence Fishburne (no, seriously) was in the film, as well.

                                --- Soylent Green then wrote:
                                It's actually not too bad by B-movie standards, more 80's TV movie than cheap Italian exploitation on teh lines of Warriors of the Wasteland. That said the actions sequences Melanie Griffith is involved are laugh out loud inept.
                                ----

                                Yeah, but I liked it ;) My copy sits on the shelf next to Warriors of the Wasteland. My favorite Italian exploitation film is Warrior of the Lost World. So bad it got a MST3K treatment. I've seen it in it's original form probably 5 or 6 times....

                                Cheers,
                                John
                              • Andrew Abney
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 21, 2010
                                  There was a Canadian film that was fantasy/Post Apoc-esque film that also got the MST3K treatment.  It was soooo bad that the only thing I recall was a bit and uncredited appearance by Steve Smith (of Red Green fame), as an ornery hermit type character.

                                  Andrew

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 23, 2010
                                    No The Blood of Heroes?

                                    Late 80's.
                                    Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen.

                                    I recall enjoying it when I saw it.

                                    Joe

                                    --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Campbell <kveldulf2000@...> wrote:

                                    > With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
                                    > the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
                                    > themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
                                    > means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
                                    > or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
                                    > Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
                                    > you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:
                                    >
                                    > A Boy and his Dog
                                    > Beneath the Planet of the Apes
                                    > Book of Eli
                                    > Children of Men
                                    > Damnation Alley
                                    > Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
                                    > By Dawn's Early Light
                                    > The Day After
                                    > Day of the Triffids
                                    > The Day the Earth Caught Fire
                                    > Deep Impact
                                    > The End of August at the Hotel Ozone
                                    > Escape from New York
                                    > Final
                                    > The Handmaid's Tale
                                    > The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
                                    > The Last Man
                                    > The Last Man on Earth
                                    > Last Night (the Canadian film by Don McKellar, not the 80's flick)
                                    > Le Dernier Combat
                                    > Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
                                    > The Matrix
                                    > Miracle Mile
                                    > Night of the Comet
                                    > Omega Man
                                    > On The Beach
                                    > Panic in Year Zero
                                    > Planet of the Apes (original)
                                    > The Postman
                                    > The Quiet Earth
                                    > Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse
                                    > The Road
                                    > Road Warrior
                                    > Screamers
                                    > The Stand
                                    > The Terminator
                                    > Testament
                                    > Them!
                                    > Things to Come
                                    > Threads
                                    > The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
                                    > 12 Monkeys
                                    > 28 Days Later
                                    > When Worlds Collide
                                    > Wizards
                                    > The World, the Flesh and the Devil
                                    > World Without End
                                    > Zardoz
                                    > Zombieland
                                    >
                                    > Enjoy,
                                    >
                                    > Andy

                                  • swellegantone
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 23, 2010
                                      How about The Day the World Ended(1955)? You can't go wrong with a monster designed and built by Paul Blaisdell. I agree that Radioactive Dreams is a great one to watch. It's one of my favorite Albert Pyun movies (along with The Sword and the Sorcerer). Even Nemesis was all right...

                                      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Abney <aabney66@...> wrote:

                                      > I am a bit of a connoisseur of bad B (and worse) movies.  I have had the pleasure, or displeasure, or watching Warriors of the Wasteland on numerous occasions.  But I seem to have missed out on the Cherry 2000.  I am not familiar with that one.
                                      >
                                      > While not strictly PA, and marketed as a horror movie in the day, The Alligator People remains one of my favorites.  And is stars the ever lovely Beverly Garland as well as Lon Chaney (Jr.).  It offers up an interesting early nuke age origin for humanoid mutants.
                                      >
                                      > Andrew
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Soylent Green
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 24, 2010
                                        Blood of Heroes (aka Salute of the Jugger) is a very good one.

                                        To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: joe.jungers@...
                                        Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 23:06:30 +0000

                                        No The Blood of Heroes?

                                        Late 80's.
                                        Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen.

                                        I recall enjoying it when I saw it.

                                        Joe

                                        --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Campbell <kveldulf2000@...> wrote:

                                        > With the summer season upon us and a mixed bag of movies to come in
                                        > the theaters, for those of you who enjoy post-apoc / end of the world
                                        > themed movies heres a list of PA fare to check out. This is by no
                                        > means an exhaustive list, but mainly PA movies I have seen and enjoyed
                                        > or am looking forward to seeing when I have time to pop the DVD in.
                                        > Some you may have seen, some you may have heard of, but hopefully
                                        > you'll find something new below to look up on the DVD shelves:
                                        >
                                        > A Boy and his Dog
                                        > Beneath the Planet of the Apes
                                        > Book of Eli
                                        > Children of Men
                                        > Damnation Alley
                                        > Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
                                        > By Dawn's Early Light
                                        > The Day After
                                        > Day of the Triffids
                                        > The Day the Earth Caught Fire
                                        > Deep Impact
                                        > The End of August at the Hotel Ozone
                                        > Escape from New York
                                        > Final
                                        > The Handmaid's Tale
                                        > The Island of Dr. Moreau (for the beastman society)
                                        > The Last Man
                                        > The Last Man on Earth
                                        > Last Night (the Canadian film by Don McKellar, not the 80's flick)
                                        > Le Dernier Combat
                                        > Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
                                        > The Matrix
                                        > Miracle Mile
                                        > Night of the Comet
                                        > Omega Man
                                        > On The Beach
                                        > Panic in Year Zero
                                        > Planet of the Apes (original)
                                        > The Postman
                                        > The Quiet Earth
                                        > Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse
                                        > The Road
                                        > Road Warrior
                                        > Screamers
                                        > The Stand
                                        > The Terminator
                                        > Testament
                                        > Them!
                                        > Things to Come
                                        > Threads
                                        > The Time Machine (original and remake, for the Eloi-Morlocks period)
                                        > 12 Monkeys
                                        > 28 Days Later
                                        > When Worlds Collide
                                        > Wizards
                                        > The World, the Flesh and the Devil
                                        > World Without End
                                        > Zardoz
                                        > Zombieland
                                        >
                                        > Enjoy,
                                        >
                                        > Andy

                                        Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up now.
                                      • omega_2064_x2
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 29, 2010
                                          Cherry 2000 is up for viewing on HULU.

                                          Another odd PA movie is Slipstream with Mark Hamil, among others with an unusual PA setting where a series of geologic and meteorological disasters have cause the jetstream to expand and scour most of civilization. Leaving societies to develop in the aftermath along the new currents and transportation now fully airborne following these paths.

                                          A pretty odd movie that takes a 90 degree plot deviation about half way through. Some interesting ideas there though that could be used for neo-Crypic Alliances.