Re: PSJ Reminder, Stuff, and Roster

  • David
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2010
      Sure, this sounds informational as well as entertaining.

      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Hinderliter <hinderli1@...> wrote:

      > --- On Sun, 2/28/10, Nicole Massey <nyyki@...> wrote:
      > "The Dragon did "Ecology" issues on different creatures. I have a similar idea..."
      >
      > Interesting idea.
      >
      > But while I'm not overly interested in a series of "ecology of..." articles standard GW critters (I think the mass of info in 4th edition descriptions was more than enough), I really like the idea of doing this for new creatures.
      >
      > For example:
      > Were Nicole to write an article on the "ecology of..." that trained mutant fox species, the article would still work like the  "ecology of..." articles, naming the new creature, identifying the species (animal or human) from which the creature developed, listing their diet and habits; but it would alse give game stats, and provide either some adventure hooks using the new creature or provide an adventure scenario in which that creature would have a primary role.
      >
      > It would be a lot of fun reading this type of article. In fact several ideas jump to mind just on what she posted. For instance,  I like the idea of a species of mutant fox that has been domesticated by Badders to use like hunting dogs... especially since it would be easy to adapt it to a "Southern Comfort" scenario, in which musket carrying, backwoods badders are using the foxes to chase the PCs through the forest for sport.
      >
      > "Thats what you git fer beeyin' in the wrong place at the wrong time," the badder shouted to the fleeing humans as he released the pack of foxes.
      >
      > So what do you think? Anyone interested in this approach to an Ecology of Series? Any other ideas?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chris

    • GammaHammer-IX
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hey Greg... I will champion the 3rd Edition cause, since it is unlikely that there would be any willing brave souls.
        I will do conversions and contribute creatures, locations, npc's and whatever else I have time and desire to produce.

        -Paul W.(GammaHammer)

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2010
          Friend of mine once did a write-up on mutant piranhas with telekinesis (they'd telekinetically pull you into the river)....

          On 3/1/2010 00:11, Nicole Massey wrote:

          An idea...

          The Dragon did "Ecology" issues on different creatures. I have a similar
          idea.

          We take a particular animal type. We discuss in the article the
          characteristics of that particular animal. Then we discuss that animal as a
          mutant, a race, and a creature.

          I know a lot about foxes, for example. In fact, I know some rather strange
          facts about them, like how they're the only animal crafty enough to de-flea
          themselves, and how they sometimes take up residence with badgers if they're
          clean, but if they leave a mess the badger throws them out of the den. This
          kind of detail can make things very interesting. A natural intelligence and
          small frame makes them more prone to mental than physical mutations. Then
          there's the race of vulps. "Them Vulps, they's welcome when you gots a
          problem, but not when you gots a treasure..." And then there are the mutated
          trained foxes that the Badders use to track prey and sneak in to retrieve
          things like their opponents' weapons the night before a raid.

          Interesting?

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Greg,

            What sort of format would you like for the submissions? I use Open Office and Google Docs extensively, so I can cover most formats and can convert to PDF if needed. Thanks.

            --
            Doug [Keeper of Too Many Zeroes]

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2010
              yeah... what is going to be our default submission document format.. I can do practically anything myself.

              The final release should probably be in .pdf though. Just a suggestion.

              -Paul W.(GammaHammer)

              What sort of format would you like for the submissions? I use Open Office and Google Docs extensively, so I can cover most formats and can convert to PDF if needed. Thanks.

              --
              Doug [Keeper of Too Many Zeroes]
            • northerntroll
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                I can see this - are you up for putting together
                one on the fox-forms?

                Greg

                --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@...> wrote:

                > An idea...
                >
                > The Dragon did "Ecology" issues on different creatures. I have a similar
                > idea.
                >
                > We take a particular animal type. We discuss in the article the
                > characteristics of that particular animal. Then we discuss that animal as a
                > mutant, a race, and a creature.
                >
                > I know a lot about foxes, for example. In fact, I know some rather strange
                > facts about them, like how they're the only animal crafty enough to de-flea
                > themselves, and how they sometimes take up residence with badgers if they're
                > clean, but if they leave a mess the badger throws them out of the den. This
                > kind of detail can make things very interesting. A natural intelligence and
                > small frame makes them more prone to mental than physical mutations. Then
                > there's the race of vulps. "Them Vulps, they's welcome when you gots a
                > problem, but not when you gots a treasure..." And then there are the mutated
                > trained foxes that the Badders use to track prey and sneak in to retrieve
                > things like their opponents' weapons the night before a raid.
                >
                > Interesting?
              • northerntroll
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Very cool! The more the merrier :)

                  Greg

                  --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Simms <simms.doug@...> wrote:

                  > I would also be glad to contribute with fiction, generic settlements,
                  > characters, and critters.

                • northerntroll
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Thank you Paul - I was hoping you'd say that :D

                    Greg

                    --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "GammaHammer-IX" <gammahammer@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Greg... I will champion the 3rd Edition cause, since it is unlikely that there would be any willing brave souls.
                    > I will do conversions and contribute creatures, locations, npc's and whatever else I have time and desire to produce.
                    >
                    > -Paul W.(GammaHammer)
                  • northerntroll
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Jory -

                      Do you have any interest in writing this up as an
                      ecology article or as a solo new creature?

                      Greg

                      >Re: [gwmg] - PSJ Reminder, Stuff, and Roster
                      >
                      >Friend of mine once did a write-up on mutant piranhas with telekinesis >(they'd telekinetically pull you into the river)....
                    • Nicole Massey
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Already done the basics. I need to pick a version of the game and write them
                        up in that style and then let your conversion gurus convert them to other
                        versions of the game.

                        I've done the GW part of this already -- the data on writing up a mutant
                        Vulpinoid animal character, the Vulp race, and Badder Foxes as creatures.
                        (You don't want to run into one in the wild hunting you, that's for sure)
                        Now I just need to brain dump my fox data and then turn it into an article,
                        with a few bumpers of fiction to give it flavor.

                        --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gammaworld%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                        "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@...> wrote:

                        > An idea...
                        >
                        > The Dragon did "Ecology" issues on different creatures. I have a
                        > similar idea.
                        >
                        > We take a particular animal type. We discuss in the article the
                        > characteristics of that particular animal. Then we discuss that animal
                        > as a mutant, a race, and a creature.
                        >
                        > I know a lot about foxes, for example. In fact, I know some rather
                        > strange facts about them, like how they're the only animal crafty
                        > enough to de-flea themselves, and how they sometimes take up residence
                        > with badgers if they're clean, but if they leave a mess the badger
                        > throws them out of the den. This kind of detail can make things very
                        > interesting. A natural intelligence and small frame makes them more
                        > prone to mental than physical mutations. Then there's the race of
                        > vulps. "Them Vulps, they's welcome when you gots a problem, but not
                        > when you gots a treasure..." And then there are the mutated trained
                        > foxes that the Badders use to track prey and sneak in to retrieve things
                        like their opponents' weapons the night before a raid.

                        > Interesting?
                      • Jory Earl
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                          I would have if I had any of those old notebooks anymore.  Since I left America to live in the Ukraine, much of my stuff was just lost since I had no where to put it.  :-(  The ony thing I have of Gamma World now is the 1st edition rule book (which I never intend on losing).

                          If I recall, they had all the normal attributes of the piranhas (teeth and appetites) plus telekinesis and massmind, so a school of them would group their telekiesis together and be able to hurl a party into the water where they would then attempt to feed on them.  The original genome was taken from the red breasted piranha.  Also if I recall, there was a dragon magazine article that allowed you to take non-mutant animals/plants and progress them several steps along the mutational line to arrive at a final product.  That's what was done with the piranha.

                          On 3/2/2010 23:24, northerntroll wrote:

                          Jory -

                          Do you have any interest in writing this up as an
                          ecology article or as a solo new creature?

                          Greg

                          >Re: [gwmg] - PSJ Reminder, Stuff, and Roster
                          >
                          >Friend of mine once did a write-up on mutant piranhas with telekinesis >(they'd telekinetically pull you into the river)....

                        • Christopher Hinderliter
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                            Hi Jory,

                            While it wouldn't be the original, I'd love to see a first edition version of this creature, especially if it came in an eco-article with an adventure scenario...

                            I'd love to see what could do if you combined the following information, and presenting it as in intelligent species laying hidden at the only watering hole within 10km or more:

                            HERKEL:

                            No. Appearing: 1-10

                            Armor Class: 9

                            Movement: 8

                            Hit Dice: 4

                            These relatively small (.5 meters long) fish are every bit as vicious as the piranha, with a bite that inflicts 6 dice of damage per melee turn. Their scales are covered with a thin film of intensity 18 contact poison. The appetite of a Herkel knows no bounds, and they will eat anything they can get into their jaws.

                            40. TELEKINESIS: This enables a mutant to lift objects, other than the mutant himself, into the air and move them about. The mutant can only telekinesis as much weight as he could normally lift, and he must strain as though he were actually carrying the object of his telekinesis. Only objects within 15 meters may be thus lifted, and the mutant may only keep them aloft for 5 melee turns, after which time he must rest for another 5 melee turns before again using this power. When telekinesis is attempted on living creatures, or things that they are holding, the referee should treat it as a mental attack on that being, which must succeed before the object may be lifted.

                            23. MASS MIND: This allows the mutant to empathize with creatures of a like nature (same type) or like power (mental control mass mind, telepathy, etc.) in order to amplify the effects of its own powers. Mass mind works in direct proportion to the number o minds participating. A mutant with mass mind and mental bias abilities could get together with another creature with mental bias and, together, deliver a double strength mental blast twice the normal distance.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2010
                              Sweet!!!
                              I can't wait to read it :D

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7, 2010
                                If I send you a versionless submission, can your guys create it in their
                                different versions? I have the basics done, I just need the bumper text and
                                I'll be through, but it might take me a while to do the actually mechanical
                                bits for a particular system -- it's also midterm week.

                                > Already done the basics. I need to pick a version of the game and
                                > write them up in that style and then let your conversion gurus convert
                                > them to other versions of the game.
                                >
                                > I've done the GW part of this already -- the data on writing up a
                                > mutant Vulpinoid animal character, the Vulp race, and Badder Foxes as
                                creatures.
                                > (You don't want to run into one in the wild hunting you, that's for
                                > sure) Now I just need to brain dump my fox data and then turn it into
                                > an article, with a few bumpers of fiction to give it flavor.
                              • Simms