RE: [gwmg] - Re: 4th Edition version of Gamma World coming!!!

  • Soylent Green
    Message 1 of 96 , Feb 1, 2010

      Okay, hang on a second. It is fair to say 4e D&D is designed primarily for dungeon crawl/floor plan kind of play - that is most of the rule support.

      But then roleplaying game were never entierly about "what the rules support" and more tot he point aren;t we focusing too much on combat?.  If you look at 1st edition fo Gamma World, it doesn't really support much at all beyond some basci combat rules. So you could argue that, then out of combat,  the 4e D&D rules still provide more support than 1e GW.

      I am not saying 4e D&D is my style of game - it isn't. I am saying calling it a boardgame just becasue of how the combat rules work tends to ingore the fact that most of the roleplaying in any system tends to occur outside of combat and it is really something the GM and the group bring to the game.

      To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
      From: Kveldulf@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:32:19 -0500
      Subject: Re: [gwmg] - Re: 4th Edition version of Gamma World coming!!!

      Actually, now that you mention it - this version reminds me most of a
      product like Gammarauders. . basically a souped up beer -n- pretzels
      boardgame loosely tied to Gamma World, but not really a role playing
      game as such. At most, perhaps something like Gamma Knights, a
      boardgame with some features potentially useful in an RPG.

      Andy

      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 1, 2010

        --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:
         If you look at 1st edition fo Gamma World, it doesn't really support much at all beyond some basci combat rules.

        Are you really sure about that?  Perhaps your rule book may be missing a few pages...

        According to my copy of the 1st editon, the "rules are complete guidelines for conducting a campaign" by the GM "within the framework provided." (GW1e p4).

        To accomplish this, Campaign Building advice and examples were provided to the GM, as were rules and suggestions on character building and development, non-combat related mutations, rules for handling long distance travel and exploration of key areas, rules for dealing with fatigued characters/creatures, long-term behavioral motives for various creatures and cryptic alliances, rules for figuring out artifacts and suggestions about how to handle situations in which such strange devices (such as a smoke detector) are found, rules on artifact use and operation, a system for handling "new" artifacts by categorizing them based on complexity, descriptions of a variety of non-combat-related artifacts, standard devices, units and material, and suggestions for dealing with roleplaying situations involving trade, economics, languages, and relatives, a system for designing and handling robots, and much, much more.

        And all of that was before you got to the Appendices, which included "Monster & Treasure" listings providing a huge list of possible detailed encounters (by terrain types) and details on a hundred examples of artifacts, any of which could be used or serve as inspiration for the GM trying to develop roleplaying scenarios during (or prior to) the game.

        I hope that this clears up any misconceptions.  ;)

        Regards,
        Chris