Re: [gwmg] - Adventures for 1 - 2 characters

  • Kerry Jordan
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
      On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Tetsubo<tetsubo@...> wrote:
      > My wife has expressed an interest in doing a solo game.
      [cut]
      > I thought I would try GW 4E.
      [cut]
      > I'm looking for adventure ideas with a slant towards the
      > light hearted. Thanks.

      Since you are considering a solo game, you can really gear the
      adventures toward your wife's interests. Does she enjoy movies? Maybe
      her first adventure should be to a forgotten movie theator complex. It
      could be playing a "classic" movie (one of her current favorites). You
      could even add holo-imaging like in the first 4e adventure (can't
      think of the name at the moment). If the movie posters are too faded
      to read, it could take her a while to figure out that she is in one of
      her favorite movies :-) A book could be done in a similar manner.
      (Maybe libraries started using holo-imagers so people could experience
      the stories.)

      Does she like candy/chocolate? Maybe she runs into a cult of hoops
      that rob from locals and have an old candy shop as a base. Maybe they
      look up to a poster with a rabbit carrying a basket full of "stolen"
      goodie (i.e., Easter Bunny).

      That's just a couple off the top of my head...
      Kerry
    • Nicole Massey
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
        Watch a few of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films and that should provide you with
        lots of ideas. Just add mutants and hazards.

        If your mutated human is someone out on some sort of rite of passage or
        quest, that could provide lots of options, too.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
          Kerry Jordan wrote:
          > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Tetsubo<tetsubo@...> wrote:
          >
          >>My wife has expressed an interest in doing a solo game.
          >
          > [cut]
          >
          >>I thought I would try GW 4E.
          >
          > [cut]
          >
          >>I'm looking for adventure ideas with a slant towards the
          >>light hearted. Thanks.
          >

          > Since you are considering a solo game, you can really gear the
          > adventures toward your wife's interests. Does she enjoy movies? Maybe
          > her first adventure should be to a forgotten movie theator complex. It
          > could be playing a "classic" movie (one of her current favorites). You
          > could even add holo-imaging like in the first 4e adventure (can't
          > think of the name at the moment). If the movie posters are too faded
          > to read, it could take her a while to figure out that she is in one of
          > her favorite movies :-) A book could be done in a similar manner.
          > (Maybe libraries started using holo-imagers so people could experience
          > the stories.)
          >
          > Does she like candy/chocolate? Maybe she runs into a cult of hoops
          > that rob from locals and have an old candy shop as a base. Maybe they
          > look up to a poster with a rabbit carrying a basket full of "stolen"
          > goodie (i.e., Easter Bunny).
          >
          > That's just a couple off the top of my head...

          The Easter Bunny is an *awesome* idea...

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
            Nicole Massey wrote:

            > Watch a few of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films and that should provide you with
            > lots of ideas. Just add mutants and hazards.
            >
            > If your mutated human is someone out on some sort of rite of passage or
            > quest, that could provide lots of options, too.

            Perfect. I even own a Hope/Crosby movie.

          • Kveldulf@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
              >>I'm looking for adventure ideas with a slant towards the

              >>light hearted. Thanks. >
              <SNIP>
              > Does she like candy/chocolate? Maybe she runs into a cult of hoops > that rob from locals and have an old candy shop as a base. Maybe they > look up to a poster with a rabbit carrying a basket full of "stolen" > goodie (i.e., Easter Bunny). > > That's just a couple off the top of my head...
              The Easter Bunny is an *awesome* idea...>>

              Actually, this type of campaign is one of the reasons I still enjoy GW after all these years. While you can run a gritty, survival type game, or a wild-n-wahoo game of cratoonish action, you can also with a little creativity run a lighthearted campaign as well.

              For instance..
              - Mutated sentient plant.. interesting. Mutated sentient plan meets Easter-Bunny worshipping intelligent rabbits that can turn metal to rubber... interesting and amusing. Mutated sentient plant realizes after meeting said rabbits that the plant is actually a giant celery... priceless.

              Depending on how lighthearted you want to make things you could have all sorts of fun with this.. for instance, a plant player realizes they are a giant celery. In its travels it meets an armed plant gang called "the salad gang", composed of a mutant tomato, carrot, lettuce head and cucumber; in a bit of evolutionary role reversal, the gang exists by raiding local colonies of mutant rabbits..

              For some reason this has got an image of the comic hero Flaming Carrot as a guest star in a sequel to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ; )

              Andy
            • bluehome@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                Perhaps a local forest inhabited by intelligent plants (actually the remains
                of an ancient theme park based on "Alice in Wonderland") is in trouble. A
                herd of herbivorous animals are approaching and threatening to eat everyone.

                The player and companion could be asked to search the center of the forest
                for the great "Thunder device" (an ancient audio system) that can scare away
                the dangerous animals.

                Of course some of the parks robots rides are still working along with a few
                mutants that have been brain washed by the Computer beneath the park. Things
                like a white furred hoop that runs around declaring that he is late for an
                important date, an android red queen and playing card soldiers who are
                obsessed with beheadings and a wise Hooka smoking centipede that if
                negotiated with, might know where to look for the "Thunder Device".

                Finally they are followed around by a mutated feline that can turn invisible
                and tends to talk in riddles and make snide comments.

                It might be fun.

                My wife has expressed an interest in doing a solo game. She's played

                3.5 a few times before but is basically a newbie. I don't think D&D is a
                good fit for a solo game. I thought I would try GW 4E. I will be
                starting her as a sentient, non-mobile plant. With the narrative I will
                describe her slow process of becoming self-aware, pulling up her roots
                and starting to wander. One of her first encounters will be a mutant
                human. I'm looking to pair them up in a classic 'buddy picture" sort of
                a story line. I'm looking for adventure ideas with a slant towards the
                light hearted. Thanks.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Check out the AD&D modules EX1 and EX2 for ideas on this, as EGG did this.
                  Both modules are downloadable from WOTC's site. It'll give you lots of good
                  ideas to work from.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                    --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@...> wrote:

                    > Watch a few of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films and that should provide you with
                    > lots of ideas. Just add mutants and hazards.

                    Who here was imagining "White Christmas" the post-apocolyptic version ?
                    :0)

                    Sal
                  • Tetsubo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                      bluehome@... wrote:
                      > Perhaps a local forest inhabited by intelligent plants (actually the remains
                      > of an ancient theme park based on "Alice in Wonderland") is in trouble. A
                      > herd of herbivorous animals are approaching and threatening to eat everyone.
                      >
                      > The player and companion could be asked to search the center of the forest
                      > for the great "Thunder device" (an ancient audio system) that can scare away
                      > the dangerous animals.
                      >
                      > Of course some of the parks robots rides are still working along with a few
                      > mutants that have been brain washed by the Computer beneath the park. Things
                      > like a white furred hoop that runs around declaring that he is late for an
                      > important date, an android red queen and playing card soldiers who are
                      > obsessed with beheadings and a wise Hooka smoking centipede that if
                      > negotiated with, might know where to look for the "Thunder Device".
                      >
                      > Finally they are followed around by a mutated feline that can turn invisible
                      > and tends to talk in riddles and make snide comments.
                      >
                      > It might be fun.

                      Great idea, thanks.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Nicole Massey wrote:

                        > Check out the AD&D modules EX1 and EX2 for ideas on this, as EGG did this.
                        > Both modules are downloadable from WOTC's site. It'll give you lots of good
                        > ideas to work from.

                        I think I might still own those. I am old after all.

                      • Soylent Green
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                          Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on this list (or it might have been it's predecessor).

                          Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                          http://web.archive.org/web/20010308212006/www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/gw/gwxmas.htm

                          The whole site is still there
                          http://web.archive.org/web/20010412103106/http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/f_gw.htm

                          To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                          From: taishon@...
                          Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:38:19 +0000
                          Subject: [gwmg] - Re: Adventures for 1 - 2 characters

                          --- In gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com, "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@...> wrote:

                          > Watch a few of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films and that should provide you with
                          > lots of ideas. Just add mutants and hazards.

                          Who here was imagining "White Christmas" the post-apocolyptic version ?
                          :0)

                          Sal

                          View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!
                        • redgriffin728
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                            --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "taishon@..." <taishon@...> wrote:

                            > --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Watch a few of the Hope/Crosby "Road" films and that should provide you with
                            > > lots of ideas. Just add mutants and hazards.
                            > >

                            > Who here was imagining "White Christmas" the post-apocolyptic version ?
                            > :0)
                            >
                            > Sal

                            With a Post Apocalyptic Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney? This sounds like fun.:0)
                          • Tetsubo
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                              Soylent Green wrote:

                              > Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on this list (or it might have been it's predecessor).
                              >
                              > Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                              > http://web.archive.org/web/20010308212006/www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/gw/gwxmas.htm
                              >
                              > The whole site is still there
                              > http://web.archive.org/web/20010412103106/http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/f_gw.htm

                              Thank you.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                                This seems like something that might need archiving at the PA forge. At
                                least the adventures would be nice to have there.

                                > Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on
                                this list (or it might have been it's predecessor).

                                > Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures
                                > thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                                > http://web.archive.org/web/20010308212006/www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/gw/gwx
                                > mas.htm
                                > <http://web.archive.org/web/20010308212006/www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk/gw/gw
                                > xmas.htm>
                                >
                                > The whole site is still there
                                > http://web.archive.org/web/20010412103106/http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk
                                > /f_gw.htm
                                > <http://web.archive.org/web/20010412103106/http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.u
                                > k/f_gw.htm>

                                Thank you.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                                  I have no objections, though one of the files is actually a scan of a James Ward Xmas scenario. In retrospect probably a rather naughty thing to do but  12 years ago and back then I don't think we used to worry about those things as much.

                                  To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: nyyki@...
                                  Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:33:41 -0500

                                  This seems like something that might need archiving at the PA forge. At
                                  least the adventures would be nice to have there.

                                  > Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on
                                  this list (or it might have been it's predecessor) .

                                  > Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures
                                  > thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                                  > http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gwx
                                  > mas.htm
                                  > <http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gw
                                  > xmas.htm>
                                  >
                                  > The whole site is still there
                                  > http://web.archive. org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. uk
                                  > /f_gw.htm
                                  > <http://web.archive. org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. u
                                  > k/f_gw.htm>

                                  Thank you.

                                  --
                                  Tetsubo
                                  Deviant Art: http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/
                                  <http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/>
                                  Daily Booth: http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo <http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo>
                                  YouTube: http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57
                                  <http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57>

                                  Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.
                                • Scott Black
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009
                                    Soylent Green,

                                    I tried the links provided and could not get them to work.  Can you tell me the issue.

                                    Scott

                                    To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com
                                    From: nyyki@gypsyheir. com
                                    Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:33:41 -0500

                                    This seems like something that might need archiving at the PA forge. At
                                    least the adventures would be nice to have there.

                                    > Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on
                                    this list (or it might have been it's predecessor) .

                                    Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures
                                    > thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                                    > http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gwx
                                    > mas.htm
                                    > <http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gw
                                    > xmas.htm>
                                    >
                                    > The whole site is still there
                                    > http://web.archive. org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. uk
                                    > /f_gw.htm
                                    > <http://web..archive.
                                    org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. u
                                    > k/f_gw.htm>

                                    Thank you.

                                    ymailto="mailto:gammaworld@yahoogroups.com">gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com <mailto:gammaworld% 40yahoogroups. com> ,

                                    href="http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ 147991039/ direct/01/

                                    --
                                    Tetsubo
                                    Deviant Art: http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/
                                    <http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/>
                                    Daily Booth: http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo <http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo>
                                    YouTube: http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57
                                    <http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57>

                                    Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.

                                  • Paul W.(GammaHammer)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 3, 2009
                                      I also have no objection to posting the public domain material at the
                                      PAForge... and in fact would welcome the opportunity to do so. The James
                                      Ward scenario is another matter. I could not in good conscience, ignore
                                      the liability of posting such a well known work by such a well known
                                      writer at the site, but I could post a brief description and that it
                                      exists in my personal collection. ;)
                                      I could not also link it from my site to the web.archive site for
                                      similar considerations.

                                      I will do neither without express invitation.

                                      -Paul W.(GammaHammer)
                                      The Post Apocalyptic Forge
                                      http://www.paforge.com

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 3, 2009
                                        Consent is granted :-)

                                        I had another couple of Gamma World adventures. They were hosted on Kerry's site thought. I might have a copy somewhere.

                                        To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: gammahammer@...
                                        Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 06:53:42 -0700

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 3, 2009
                                          And so it shall be.... well... as soon as I can anyway.

                                          -Paul W.(GammaHammer)
                                          The Post Apocalyptic Forge
                                          http://www.paforge.com

                                          To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: gammahammer@...
                                          Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 06:53:42 -0700

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 3, 2009
                                            Seems like in your email the address was mangled. Let me try again?

                                            To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: scottyourrealtor@...
                                            Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 19:32:10 -0700

                                            To: gammaworld@yahoogro ups.com
                                            From: nyyki@gypsyheir. com
                                            Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:33:41 -0500

                                            This seems like something that might need archiving at the PA forge. At
                                            least the adventures would be nice to have there.

                                            > Heh. Many moons ago (1997!) we had a Gamma World Xmas scenario contest on
                                            this list (or it might have been it's predecessor) .

                                            Altough my old website is long gone, you can still grab the adventures
                                            > thanks to the agic of the Way Back Machine at
                                            > http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gwx
                                            > mas.htm
                                            > <http://web.archive. org/web/20010308 212006/www. jpb-s.demon. co.uk/gw/ gw
                                            > xmas.htm>
                                            >
                                            > The whole site is still there
                                            > http://web.archive. org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. uk
                                            > /f_gw.htm
                                            > <http://web.. archive.
                                            org/web/20010412 103106/http: //www.jpb- s.demon.co. u
                                            > k/f_gw.htm>

                                            Thank you.

                                            --
                                            Tetsubo
                                            Deviant Art: http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/
                                            <http://ironstaff. deviantart. com/>
                                            Daily Booth: http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo <http://dailybooth. com/Tetsubo>
                                            YouTube: http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57
                                            <http://www.youtube. com/user/ tetsubo57>

                                            Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live. Find out more.

                                            View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!
                                          • northerntroll
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 3, 2009
                                              Soylent -

                                              I found your adventures, and some others here:

                                              http://www.netflames-rpg-bunker.us/gammafiles.htm

                                              --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

                                              > I had another couple of Gamma World adventures. They were hosted on Kerry's site thought. I might have a copy somewhere.
                                              >

                                              > To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                                              > From: gammahammer@...
                                              > Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 06:53:42 -0700
                                              > Subject: Re: [gwmg] - Re: Adventures for 1 - 2 characters
                                              >

                                              > I also have no objection to posting the public domain material at the
                                              > PAForge... and in fact would welcome the opportunity to do so. The James
                                              > Ward scenario is another matter. I could not in good conscience, ignore
                                              > the liability of posting such a well known work by such a well known
                                              > writer at the site, but I could post a brief description and that it
                                              > exists in my personal collection. ;)
                                              > I could not also link it from my site to the web.archive site for
                                              > similar considerations.
                                              >
                                              > I will do neither without express invitation.
                                              >
                                              > -Paul W.(GammaHammer)
                                              > The Post Apocalyptic Forge
                                              > http://www.paforge.com
                                              >
                                              > Nicole Massey wrote:
                                              >
                                              > >This seems like something that might need archiving at the PA forge. At
                                              > >least the adventures would be nice to have there.
                                              > >

                                              > Soylent Green wrote:
                                              >
                                              > I have no objections, though one of the files is actually a scan of a
                                              > James Ward Xmas scenario. In retrospect probably a rather naughty thing
                                              > to do but 12 years ago and back then I don't think we used to worry
                                              > about those things as much.

                                              > With Windows Live, you can organise, edit, and share your photos.

                                            • Soylent Green
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 4, 2009
                                                Hehe, yup, there they are, thanks.

                                                To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com