The Metric System and GW

  • Alexis Álvarez
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008

      Now, as for Gamma World, the question remains: Is the metric system a key component for your games?

                  My d20 Modern/Future project, Frontier Historian, has some PA elements and uses the d20 Apocalypse supplement as well, so all measurements in that game are in inches, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc. mostly to avoid converting the canon stats.  My GW 3E/Star Frontiers campaign, Age of Mythology, uses metric for the same reason:  the canon is in metric.

      Alexis

    • Derek Shakabpa
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2008
        I prefer using the metric system for GW. I just feels more futuristic for me.

        --Derek S.
      • gammaknight
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          Ah seeing as I was born in 75 then that would be why I thought it
          Reagan.

          No I don't use metric mainly because it is hard for me to "see" the
          distance/size of things.

          --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "brutorzbill" <brutorzbill@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks for the history lesson. I remember now, it was under the
          > Ford administration.
          > As to answer your question. The Metric System is NOT a key
          component
          > of my games. In fact at times I've found it inconvenient when
          > ranges for weapons and such are given in metric stats, cause
          > invariably someone (usually myself) will have to pause for a moment
          > to do the math to convert it to the "old English" way. Guess I
          > didn't listen to my second grade teacher.
          > LOL,
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Hinderliter
          > <hinderli1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Actually, 'twas Gerald Ford that did it. Ford signed the Metric
          > Conversion Act into law in 1975, giving official sanction for the
          US
          > to convert to the Metric System of measurement.
          > > The idea was that our economic survival as a nation depended on
          > it in the face of an interdependent world market.
          > >
          > > Carter set up the US Metric Board to consider how we would
          shift
          > over to the system
          > >
          > > Ronald Reagan attempted to kill it by disbanding the US Metric
          > Board in 1982.
          > >
          > > Seeing that the metric system was still unpopular (remember the
          > boycotts), Congress then decided to promote it and got around the
          > disbanded board issue by ammending the Metric Conversion Act in
          > 1988.
          > >
          > > By 1991, G.H.W. Bush put the matter into the hands of the
          > secretary of commerce, using an executive order to arrange for the
          > implementation of government metric usage by federal departments
          and
          > agencies. Rumors state that another Bush was in favor of buying
          > things by the kilo at this time, but these have not been
          > substantiated. ;P
          > >
          > > Millions of dollars of government investigation and newspaper
          > editorials demonstrated that B.Clinton used the metric system to
          buy
          > soda by the liter
          > >
          > > I am unaware of the position of the current administration
          > regarding the metric system.
          > >

          > > Now, as for Gamma World, the question remains: Is the metric
          > system a key component for your games?
          > >
          > > brutorzbill <brutorzbill@> wrote:
          > > I remember my second grade teacher telling us that we
          > were just
          > > going to have to learn the metric system, because within a couple
          > of
          > > years it would be the only standard of measure. Second grade was
          > > LOOONG time ago for me!! I'm not sure if a certain peanut farmer
          > was
          > > even in office yet.
          > > Bill
          > >

          > > .

        • James Plett
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            I use 24 hour time for that futuristic feel as well.

            "Dear group, we will be meeting at 12:00 and gaming until 18:00. Rondevouz at...."