Re: [gwmg] - Mutated Animals

  • Reginald Blue
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2007
      I guess I've gone one further than that. Based on a discussion ages
      ago where a player picked a mutant animal with no ability to speak,
      plus a similar event in one of my games, I've completely eliminated
      mutant animals EXCEPT for the humanoid ones (for PCs). Same goes for
      plants, as PC at least.

      While I have at least one sentient animal as an NPC that has no
      ability to communicate, running one as a PC fails the "fun" test in my
      mind, and I have similar feelings on animals with no fine
      manipulation.

      I suspect others would object to my limited view, but that's okay. :-)

      On 3/31/07, ralphglatt <ralphglatt@...> wrote:
      > One thing I've always considered in my games was a mutation that could
      > be taken only by animals (could be taken by plants, if you use them)is
      > Humanoid. Character rolls for mutations as usual, and has the option
      > of using one of their good mutations to be Humanoid, ie: two legs,
      > stands erect, has manipulative forepaws, etc. This way, the mutated
      > animal stood a better chance of being able to use artifacts and
      > weapons. Kind of gives the game more of a Kamandi feel to it.
      >

      > Ralph
    • randolph carsten
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
        my take was a bit simpler, any mutant animal pc that couldn't speak automaticly got stuck with "broadcast telepathy". the down side over "normal telepathy is that it gose to every one in the 30m range. no side bands, no modulation (shout/whisper), and unless it got realayed
        by another telepath it went no further than the 30m range. oh and just try conning your way past the bot when it cant "hear" you. as for no fine manipulators, thats why you find
        yourself a Boy Sherman.

        On 3/31/07, ralphglatt <ralphglatt@yahoo. com> wrote:
        > One thing I've always considered in my games was a mutation that could
        > be taken only by animals (could be taken by plants, if you use them)is
        > Humanoid. Character rolls for mutations as usual, and has the option
        > of using one of their good mutations to be Humanoid, ie: two legs,
        > stands erect, has manipulative forepaws, etc. This way, the mutated
        > animal stood a better chance of being able to use artifacts and
        > weapons. Kind of gives the game more of a Kamandi feel to it.
        >

        > Ralph

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...

      • Vanzirra Dreelantar
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2007
          Sounds sort of like the opposite of how they did it in 4th edition.
          In 4th edition, a player of a mutant animal character could chose to
          forgo humanoid traits (walking upright, ability to speak,
          forepaws/hooves/whatever able to grip like human hands, etc.) to gain
          an additional physical mutation.

          --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "ralphglatt" <ralphglatt@...> wrote:

          > One thing I've always considered in my games was a mutation that could
          > be taken only by animals (could be taken by plants, if you use them)is
          > Humanoid. Character rolls for mutations as usual, and has the option
          > of using one of their good mutations to be Humanoid, ie: two legs,
          > stands erect, has manipulative forepaws, etc. This way, the mutated
          > animal stood a better chance of being able to use artifacts and
          > weapons. Kind of gives the game more of a Kamandi feel to it.
          >

          > Ralph

        • Reginald Blue
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2007
            Fascinating... I'll have to remember that.

            On 4/2/07, randolph carsten <dodd_nk_marine4@...> wrote:
            my take was a bit simpler, any mutant animal pc that couldn't speak automaticly got stuck with "broadcast telepathy". the down side over "normal telepathy is that it gose to every one in the 30m range. no side bands, no modulation (shout/whisper), and unless it got realayed
            by another telepath it went no further than the 30m range. oh and just try conning your way past the bot when it cant "hear" you. as for no fine manipulators, thats why you find
            yourself a Boy Sherman.

            Reginald Blue <reginald.blue@...> wrote:
            I guess I've gone one further than that. Based on a discussion ages
            ago where a player picked a mutant animal with no ability to speak,
            plus a similar event in one of my games, I've completely eliminated
            mutant animals EXCEPT for the humanoid ones (for PCs). Same goes for
            plants, as PC at least.

            While I have at least one sentient animal as an NPC that has no
            ability to communicate, running one as a PC fails the "fun" test in my
            mind, and I have similar feelings on animals with no fine
            manipulation.

            I suspect others would object to my limited view, but that's okay. :-)

            On 3/31/07, ralphglatt < ralphglatt@...> wrote:
            > One thing I've always considered in my games was a mutation that could
            > be taken only by animals (could be taken by plants, if you use them)is
            > Humanoid. Character rolls for mutations as usual, and has the option
            > of using one of their good mutations to be Humanoid, ie: two legs,
            > stands erect, has manipulative forepaws, etc. This way, the mutated
            > animal stood a better chance of being able to use artifacts and
            > weapons. Kind of gives the game more of a Kamandi feel to it.
            >

            > Ralph

          • Ralph G
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
              Just curious - when your players choose to be a mutated animal, are they automatically anthropomorphic or do they retain their original shape?
            • Tetsubo
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                On 4/4/2011 10:05 AM, Ralph G wrote:
                > Just curious - when your players choose to be a mutated animal, are they
                > automatically anthropomorphic or do they retain their original shape?

                Yes. :) It depends on what they want. I like how the 1992 edition
                handled it. An animals without any human features gets a bonus mutation.
                Otherwise they get hands and an upright stance.

                Tetsubo
                Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
                YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
              • Lizard
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                  I assume anthropomorphic; it's just too much of a PITA otherwise. That
                  said, I just posted rules for crabs in Earth Delta, which Dare to
                  Deviate from the one size fits all norm.

                  http://mrlizard.com/earth-delta/a-case-of-the-crabs/
                • Nicole Massey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                    This is the big area where I steal from another system. TMNT/Heroes
                    Unlimited has a rather useful dynamic for mutating animals that is fairly
                    system independent, especially if you set a point level for rolls on the
                    mutation table. (Say, ten points for an extra roll on the player's choice of
                    mutation tables) This gives the player a lot of options if they want them.

                    But I assume anthropomorphic with human hands, feet, and speech for animal
                    mutants.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                      --- On Mon, 4/4/11, Tetsubo <tetsubo@...> wrote:
                      > Yes. :) It depends on what they want. I
                      > like how the 1992 edition
                      > handled it. An animals without any human features gets a
                      > bonus mutation.
                      > Otherwise they get hands and an upright stance.

                      I like the way that edition handled it, as well. What I didn't like, however; is the all or nothing approach. So, based on something I found online and TMNT, I divided it into levels of "partial" or "full" to describe hands, posture, and speech.

                      Cheers,
                      John
                    • Christopher Hinderliter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                        The system I generally use (for GW1e + GW2e) is to give the players a choice.

                        1) Play the MA as an animal and hope that you roll telepathy, or plan on communicating like Lassie;

                        2) Trade a physical mutation (before making the roll) at character creation in exchange for the Body Structure Change: Humanoid mutation, which grants a bipedal form, complete with functional hands and speech capability.

                        I am currently thinking about using an Animal Template for MA characters using the d20 system, but this still needs a little work and I am very interested in how other GMs handle MAs in their GWd20 games.

                        Regards,
                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
                          Mutazoids3e is a d20-style game. It has Mutazoid Animals and Humazoid
                          Animals.

                          Mutazoid Animals retain quadraped form, but also have a set of arms (or
                          possibly tentacles) and the power of speech. Mutazoids are unstable and
                          can mutate further with exposure to mutagenic materials. Obviously,
                          Humazoid is just the -zoid term for Humanoid. In canon, Humazoid Animals
                          have animal like legs and feet, but technically it should not matter
                          much. Humazoids are stable and do not mutate further.