Re: [gwmg] - 1st edition gritty?

  • Vanzirra Dreelantar
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Tim <bane_omen@y...> wrote:
      > And that was the beauty of it.
      > The world was yours for the making, you could name it anything you
      wanted!I still use my original Gamma World world that I made up and
      Meriga doesn't exsist at all.
      > When GW came out in that box set, with 44+pages, some dice and a
      cool map. I plotted out my world naming regions and cities... I
      didn't need no steekeen'game company what to name this and that...
      well way before "CANON" material came out.
      > Even before I picked up the GM screen with the mini-module,
      and "Legion of Gold" and "Famine in Far-Go" my world was already set
      in stone. I mined these adventures taking what I want and putting
      them where I felt like it.
      > The characters didn't know the history of the world, all they knew
      was what the "storyteller" told them, the legends and myths of the
      ancients. They would uncover little secrets now and then, but pretty
      much the mystery of why this world was the way it was, remained a
      mystery to my players.
      > And to me that is why I like 1st GW... ;)

      Well, back in those days, that's how it was done. (Wow I sound so old
      saying that) Back in the early days, they made a basic framework for
      the game and effectively said to the GMs "OK, here's basically what
      we're getting at. Work with it." and after that, we were on our own.

      Now, the games are more spelled out from the get go. Part of this is
      from the maturing of the games (and many of the gamers), but I
      believe it is also in part because of the culture as it is nowadays.
      People* seem to want, or even EXPECT, everything to be done for them.
      They are not willing to put the effort into things like they used to.

      * = When I said "people", I allow for there to be exceptions to this.
      I was simply voicing my observation that a great majority of people
      seem to be that way.

      Zirra
    • sixthtysixthsix
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2005
        They had miniatures (Chainmail)(plastic formed, full-color knights and
        horses, and maidens, etc.) and the 'rules' naturally formed around
        the 'play'. . . too, lots of it was wargames! If we could just get
        that map turned into a game, we'd have it licked. . .

        <zirra_scrohunter@y...> wrote:
        > Well, back in those days, that's how it was done. (Wow I sound so
        > old saying that) Back in the early days, they made a basic frame-
        > work for the game and effectively said to the GMs "OK, here's
        > basically what we're getting at. Work with it." and after that, we
        > were on our own.

        > Zirra
      • Robert Weber
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2005
          John Raner (Katkin Kalvin) wrote up some stuff for BRPS GW, I don't have anything. Of course, John may have given me copies of some BRPS stuff & I've filed them away with all the other rpg systems I have lurking in my book case & forgotten that I have them, and I may have something on the HD of a burnt out shell that used to be a PC somewhere in my teeny & cramped office.

          But offhand; no, I don't have any BRPS-GW notes. There is a BRPS group:

          Someone there may have a GW conversion. I have to say that rolling up a GW PC for BRPS literally takes a minute, and the system is basic enough to provide the framework for GW, as long as someone adds futuristic/apocalyptic & mutation rules to it, and it works very well!

          Bobjester

          James Collins and/or Sarah Wood <collwood@...> wrote:
          <delurk>
          Robert Weber [bobjester28@...] wrote:

          >    Really, I've played 2nd, 3rd, 4th & Alternity GW, as well as a BRPS conversion.

          Do you have any notes, links, or anything on the BRPS (I'm assuming that is the Basic RolePlaying System - i.e., Call of Cthulhu?). I would be very, very, very interested in seeing something...

          Thanks.

          James D. Collins
          Painted Frog Productions

          <relurk>

          Bobjester at bobjester28@...
          "Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow." -- Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

          "There he goes, one of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some
          kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare
          to die." --Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

          "You people voted for Hubert Humphrey! And you killed Jesus!!"
          --Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

          Yahoo! for Good
        • Elizabeth Woodward
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
            I'm somewhere in between on how much backstory I want to come with a gamebook I buy.

            Elizabeth W