10th planet discovered.

  • omega_2064_x2
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      A MSN Article on the new planet.

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8760309/

      Omega: Still in Exile
    • Rick Massey
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        It's not a planet. Sedna is just a large Kuyper Belt object. The interesting
        thing about it is its very elliptical orbit.

        On a related note, when the family of the discoverer of Pluto dies the
        Astronomy community is probably going to downgrade Pluto from being a
        planet. It's just too small to carry that designation.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          That's what I get for assuming. Looks like there's more being discovered
          than we discussed in my Summer I astronomy class.

          --------
          To unsubscribe from the Gamma World Mail Group: Send a blank message to
          gammaworld-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Elizabeth Woodward
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            The tenth planet has been nikenamed Myla. At least that's what channel 7 said. And its bigger than Pluto which is still considered a planet.

            Elizabeth W.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
              Yeah, and this is a major point of contention in the IAU. It very well may
              be considered the ninth planet when all this shakes out.

              The reason Pluto was named a planet is because at that time, most
              astronomers didn't know about Kuyper Belt objects and because with Charon
              (which, in my opinion, should have been named persepina) so close, it was
              viewed as a single object.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005

                Elizabeth Woodward <eaw541335@...> wrote:
                The tenth planet has been nikenamed Myla. At least that's what channel 7 said. And its bigger than Pluto which is still considered a planet.

                Huh, I read somewhere online that they've been calling the tenth planet Xena. Go figure.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Les Braun
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I thought it was called Minerva (ala Space Cruiser Yamato). ;p