[gwmg] - Re: PBEM

  • James
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 1999
      Clay,you sure seem to have some issues of trust here! I mean, who is going
      to cheat in an RPG? And does it really matter if they do? It's not like
      there is a winner, or that we are playing for money. Still if it matters to
      you, check out www.irony.com. You can generate "secure" dice rolls. Or you
      can make the players' dice rolls for them.

      If it's all the same, I think I'd rather listen in on what is going on even
      when my character is off scene, just like in a face to face roleplaying
      game. I think you feel isolated enough in PBEM as it is. Plus it's just
      fun to watch what is going on. Of course, you can always pass "secret
      notes" when required.

      Any chance we get more background info? I started creating a character then
      I realised I didn't really know what kind of character to make, what sort
      of occupations would be appropriate. Once I've created a character concept,
      it is very difficult for me to adapt him to the campaign. It is usually a
      lot better if I try to tailor the character to the campaign at character
      creation time.

      A couple of more specific points: how many skill points go into the
      character class? I could not find that anywhere. Also, don't you think
      Duality is worth more than 1 point? It can be a very powerful mutation.

      Regards,

      --- James ----

      http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk / Gamma World Appreciation & Mutant Bikers of
      the Atomic Wastelands

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gammaworld
    • Chris Conboy
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 1999
        gwrakeen@... wrote:

        > WARNING!!! LONG MESSAGE!!!

        > 7) The rules as posted on my web page will be the deciding factor
        > whenever possible. If a rules question arises (and they do), a majority
        > vote will most likely be the way it is settled.

        Naah, no vote: you're the GM, you decide any rules questions.

        > the Characters), and maybe learn something (kill all the Characters). If
        > these goals are not being met, let me know. And I'll kill all the
        > Characters.

        Okay - I'll let you know (antagonize the GM).

        --
        Chris Conboy
        mailto:cconboy@...

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gammaworld
      • John Horton
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 1999
          Hi all,

          Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the PBEM, but I may subscribe in
          digest mode as Tormentor suggested. For those who are interested, I've
          made an old FAQ from the seemingly defunct rec.games.frp.pbem available at
          http://www.csun.edu/~hfoao122/pbem_faq.txt

          Although it's a bit talky, it has some interesting advice, including:
          - the GM really should do all the rolling for combat, and try to do several
          rounds at a time
          - the players should describe their character's actions in advance (e.g. I
          do A, then if B I do C, otherwise D), including "standard" responses (is
          there a "standard" anything in GW? :-)
          - suggestions on different formats for what the characters say and what
          their actions are, as well as for comments/questions to the GM.

          Hope it helps!

          John H.

          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 1999
            Sorry for that "warning" subject line - I was originally going to send this
            as an attachment before I realized I could put it on the Web. Doh!

            John H.

          • gwrakeen@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2, 1999
              On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:25:50 -0500 "Tormentor"
              <radioactivist@...> writes:
              > I commend you for your tag lines and witness.

              Thanks. I wanted them out there, but not in anybody's face.

              > > The only things which will not be
              > > roleplayed are sexual scenes of any kind,
              > > and killing children.
              >
              > I can understand the sexual thing fully. I don't believe we ever
              > did more than just mention those kind of events briefly in any RPG I
              have
              > participated in. I mean, stating the quick facts of the situation
              > were plenty, no need for details no one really wants to hear anyway.

              I have been in a game where some of the players really got off to going
              into extreme detail on what they were doing on "shore leave", and it took
              away from the game. It is just unnecessary.

              > But come on man...no killing children. I mean, its like in full
              > metal jacket when the journalist asks the helicopter door gunner "How
              can
              > you kill women and children". As he continues mowing down Vietnamese
              as they
              > flee throught the rice paddies, the gunner quickly replies... "It's
              easy,
              > you just don't lead 'em as much".

              That much of a mention would be allowed in the game. It is the
              descriptions that I want to avoid.

              > But seriously, I am a Christian too, just instead of Baptist or
              > Methodist, I am of the Sarcastic denomination :)

              Kewl.

              > But Clay, Psalm 51:1-17 has to be my favorite.

              I'll have to read it, then.

              > Later,
              > --
              > Tormentor (Neil Whitlow)
              > radioactivist@...
              > Tormentor's Virtual Wasteland at
              > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/4547/gamma1.html
              > Mail group archives at
              > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/4547/gamma20.html
              > Gamma World RPG

              Clay Dugger
              Job 30:29-30
              Deut. 6:5-8
              http://members.tripod.com/~duggerc/

              or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

              Message 6 of 26 , May 2, 1999
                On Sat, 01 May 1999 11:41:21 -0700 John Horton <john.horton@...>
                writes:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the PBEM, but I may subscribe
                > in digest mode as Tormentor suggested. For those who are interested,
                > I've made an old FAQ from the seemingly defunct rec.games.frp.pbem
                > available at http://www.csun.edu/~hfoao122/pbem_faq.txt
                >
                > Although it's a bit talky, it has some interesting advice,
                > including:
                > - the GM really should do all the rolling for combat, and try to do
                > several rounds at a time
                > - the players should describe their character's actions in advance
                > (e.g. I do A, then if B I do C, otherwise D), including "standard"
                > (is there a "standard" anything in GW? :-)
                > - suggestions on different formats for what the characters say and
                > what their actions are, as well as for comments/questions to the GM.
                >
                > Hope it helps!

                Since I am new to the PBEM experience, ANY advice helps! I will check
                out your link at my first opportunity.

                Message 7 of 26 , May 2, 1999
                  On Sat, 1 May 1999 11:27:36 +0100 "James" <James@...>
                  writes:
                  > Clay,you sure seem to have some issues of trust here! I mean, who is
                  > going to cheat in an RPG? And does it really matter if they do? It's
                  not
                  > like there is a winner, or that we are playing for money. Still if it
                  > matters to you, check out www.irony.com. You can generate "secure" dice
                  rolls.
                  > Or you can make the players' dice rolls for them.

                  I only added that as a precaution. I am still naive enough to believe
                  that the group wouldn't cheat. I HAVE been accused of cheating on unseen
                  die rolls in the past, and I remember how that felt. Believe me, the
                  "evidence" would have to be many, many, many perfect rolls in a row
                  before I would even think someone was cheating.

                  > If it's all the same, I think I'd rather listen in on what is going
                  > on even when my character is off scene, just like in a face to face
                  > roleplaying game. I think you feel isolated enough in PBEM as it is.
                  Plus it's
                  > just fun to watch what is going on. Of course, you can always pass
                  > "secret notes" when required.

                  Remember, this is my first time at this, so I am sure that the format
                  will change as the group gets into the groove.

                  > Any chance we get more background info? I started creating a
                  > character then I realised I didn't really know what kind of character
                  to make, what
                  > sort of occupations would be appropriate. Once I've created a character

                  > concept, it is very difficult for me to adapt him to the campaign. It
                  is
                  > usually a lot better if I try to tailor the character to the campaign
                  at
                  > character creation time.

                  My "campaign" would probably be best described as "A Day in the Life".
                  My map is HUGE, and anything can happen, depending on where you go. You
                  might have to escape from prison (hint), you might be fight a vastly
                  superior foe (hint), and so forth and so on and so on.

                  > A couple of more specific points: how many skill points go into the
                  > character class? I could not find that anywhere.

                  As I said, this week will be spent rounding out the rules and the
                  starting point for the game. Whenever I make any changes to the rules, I
                  will post info to both groups.

                  > Also, don't you think Duality is worth more than 1 point? It can be a
                  very powerful
                  > mutation.

                  I had to try to divide the Mutations "evenly", thus there might be a
                  little disparity. Remember, I was working with around 150 Mutations.
                  Plus, I will be building defects into several of the Mutations, hopefully
                  achieving a balance.

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 3, 1999
                    > My "campaign" would probably be best described as "A Day in the Life".
                    > My map is HUGE, and anything can happen, depending on where you go. You
                    > might have to escape from prison (hint), you might be fight a vastly
                    > superior foe (hint), and so forth and so on and so on.

                    Okay, so basically, you are looking for generic adventurer types;
                    characters ready to bum around, take on the odd job and hook up perfect
                    strangers. That is actually the most difficult type of character for me to
                    portray, but I'll give it my best shot. I had to create the same style
                    characters for Mark's PBEMs, but I think I did mange a decent job with Pops
                    and CJ.

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 3, 1999
                      OK, guys. The web page is updated a little. I put in a link to the
                      three types of people that come out of the Cities. Got to the GW page
                      and follow the link "Outcasts".

                      88{)>
                      Clay Dugger
                      JOB 30: 28-30
                      DEUT. 6: 5-12
                      http://members.tripod.com/~duggerc/gw.html

                      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gammaworld
                    • Thorn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 5, 2000
                        Yes I am at it again! Im working on a new PBEM but this will be ThunderCats
                        related and non GW/Alternity. Some knowledge of the Thundercat cartoon will
                        be required. The game will be very free form ( no levels, no classes, no
                        experience points cant get much freeform than that!!!!) and will run on a
                        fairly high level ( some sex, lots of violence and language).

                        I know its not GW related, but if you want a change of pace gimme a
                        holler.Some lurkers will be welcome but not everyone can be a lurker. There
                        will also be pre-fabricated characters available. If you have a preference ,
                        I can even make one from scratch to fit a few simple lines you give me!!!
                        Thats how good I am (reaching for the humble pie and a table to hide under.)

                        The friendly under the table mutant,
                        Thorn
                      • zorprime000@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 7, 2002
                          I will be working on all of the rules and back ground.  I want to just base it on a straight 2nd edition game.  No extras, except I may add some skills.  I am looking for 6-8 players that would like to play on a three plays a week basis.  From a Sunday to a Wednesday, Wednesday to a Friday and a Friday to a Sunday.  We would average three plays a week.

                          It has been two year, one divorce, and one failed relationship since I have worked on anything like this and I am going to need the better part of a week to get everything squared away.

                          I hope by Friday to have the Website up.  In the mean time I will be taking players on a first come first served basis, Former players of mine will get preference.  Do not send characters yet.  I do need some info.

                          Vital statists about yourself.  Pretend you are the character, history, background...about yourself.  This will allow me to get to know you.  What games have and do you play?  What kind of character would you like to play?  General information nothing specific.  Don't worry about equipment it will be assigned.  You will be able to create your own characters.  I will roll up # for your statists and you can assign them your self.  I will roll up mutations if any.  These are just some of the things I have planned.  If you are interested send me the information I have requested and we will go from there.

                          Jimmy
                        • zorprime000@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 7, 2002
                            Last thing.  If you are going to contact me about the PBEM game please contact me, don't bother the rest of the GW group.

                            Jimmy
                          • William Ogden
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 7, 2002
                              I'd be interested in playing, but I don't have 2nd ed. How much does it
                              differ from 1st?

                              >From: zorprime000@...
                              >To: gammaworld@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [gwmg] - PBEM
                              >Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 12:21:07 EDT
                              >
                              >I am thinking of starting a PBEM group. Second Edition based. Is there
                              >any
                              >interest?
                              >
                              >Jimmy

                            • Omega 2064
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 8, 2002
                                Currently running a pbem GW 2nd Ed (with some changes.) Though
                                not in the standard e-mail formatt (more like an interactive novel or
                                the standard commercial PBM RPG formatt.)
                                And running a Rifts Pbem in the standard manner (players responding
                                to eachother freeform with a little GM prompting here and there.)

                                Omega