RE: Earth AD

  • Derek Shakabpa
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
      >There are several different TEOTWAWKI scenarios given
      >for GM's to use as the basis of their campaign.

      John, I was planning on getting it myself too, esp. since they were offering
      3 games for the price of 2. I'm most curious about the scenarios. Could
      you tell us a little more about the scenarios?

      Thanks,

      Derek S.

      Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
      access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
    • John Raner
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- Derek Shakabpa <wdshakabpa@...> wrote:
        > John, I was planning on getting it myself too, esp.
        > since they were offering
        > 3 games for the price of 2. I'm most curious about
        > the scenarios. Could
        > you tell us a little more about the scenarios?

        Sure, the scenarios are:

        1. The Big Bang, Part II: Nuclear War
        2. Judgement Day: The Resurrection has passed and the
        righteous have gone to heaven leaving the earth to the
        sinners.
        3. Ice Age: The world is now a frozen wasteland
        4. I, Robot: The robots are killing off humanity.
        Think "Terminator"
        5. Lucifer's Hammer: As in the novel by Niven and
        Pournelle, the world is destroyed by an asteroid from
        space.
        6. Outbreak: the world is destroyed by a nasty plague.
        7. Resurrection: Genetic engineering has brought back
        the dinosaurs which threaten to destroy humanity.

        Cheers,
        John

        =====
        A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its mouth: "I, the state, am the people."
        ---- Friedrich Nietzsche

        "It is a shame that governments are chiefed by the devil tongues"
        --- Chief Ten Bears

        "There is no such thing as an obsolete weapon or tool, merely obsolete thinking
        in its employ."
        --- Mark D. (CapnCarp@...)

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • Omega
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2004
          According to press release, all WOTC stores are to be scrapped. Some
          are having close out sales, others are going poof with no warning.

          Definitely happened here in the MI area.

          Omega
        • Jory Earl
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 5, 2004
            And to think when I said a couple years ago Hasbro was going to do this that
            people got mad at me and said I was wrong. Fucking corporations always do
            this.

          • FenrysStar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 5, 2004
              I'd be upset at this but there was never a WOTC store near me, in Philadelphia, PA and by near me I mean where I can readily bus to it. I get my stuff either through mail order or by finding it at comic book shops that side line in carrying it. And the one hobby shop that I banter with the proprietor and his main assistants with. It's a shame but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
            • Lizard
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2004
                Jory Earl wrote:

                > And to think when I said a couple years ago Hasbro was going to do this that
                > people got mad at me and said I was wrong. Fucking corporations always do
                > this.

                Yeah, it's so evil of them not to pour money into an unprofitable and
                ill-conceived venture they were contractually forced to continue in the
                first place! What are they thinking, trying to make, rather than lose,
                money! What kind of scumwad business is concerned with "profits" and
                "staying afloat" rather than having under-stocked stores with brain-dead
                employees in bad locations?

                Goddam corporate fascist pigs!!!!
              • Vanzirra Dreelantar
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                  > Yeah, it's so evil of them not to pour money into an unprofitable
                  and ill-conceived venture they were contractually forced to continue
                  in the first place! What are they thinking, trying to make, rather
                  than lose, money! What kind of scumwad business is concerned
                  with "profits" and "staying afloat" rather than having under-stocked
                  stores with brain-dead employees in bad locations?

                  > Goddam corporate fascist pigs!!!!

                  You're damn right it's evil of them to cut their losses like that!
                  They are supposed to run themselves into the gorund & be flat on
                  their 3 cheeked mutant backsides broke, so then another company can
                  buy them out & rewrite the games their way. After all, how can
                  everyone bitch about D&D 4th edition if they don't?

                  Zirra, up way too early & being fascetious (that's a fancy word for
                  wiseass)
                • Jory Earl
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                    I can tell you guys have never been dumped from a job because a corporation
                    wanted to cut its losses. I have and I really don't appreciate your
                    attitude about it. I know from first hand experience what its like to have
                    a corporate broom shoved up my ass.

                    Yeah I hope the corporations pay for their greed someday.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Lets not forget dropping the stores within walking distance of
                      allready existing RPG stores. "All coincidence mind you... HONEST!"

                      Actually, yes, some had to have been coincidence. WOTC's research
                      people arent the brightest bulbs sometimes. :P

                      As for the stores doing badly. The three I have seen were doing quite
                      well. Well enough to more than once grind the local RPG shop out of
                      business according to accounts from those in other areas.

                      The workers were friendly and knowledgable of what was what at each
                      I'd seen so I think you do these folk a bit of a disservice with
                      the "brain dead" crack.

                      It cannot be denied though that the WOTC stores were expensive to
                      run. The ones I saw were elaborately decorated and well set up. Very
                      clean and professional in feel. And usually well stocked in a good
                      array of games, minis, and rpgs. Quality doesnt come cheap.

                      The end result though is that they are gone and hopefully folk have a
                      local RPG or hobby shop still handy. The removal of the WOTCs will
                      likely benefit the smaller stores with the removal of competition.

                      Omega

                      --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, Lizard <lizard@m...> wrote:
                      > Yeah, it's so evil of them not to pour money into an unprofitable
                      and
                      > ill-conceived venture they were contractually forced to continue in
                      the
                      > first place! What are they thinking, trying to make, rather than
                      lose,
                      > money! What kind of scumwad business is concerned with "profits"
                      and
                      > "staying afloat" rather than having under-stocked stores with brain-
                      dead
                      > employees in bad locations?
                      >
                      > Goddam corporate fascist pigs!!!!
                    • Thyfur
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004

                        Where I live, we use to have 3 WotC stores. Two of them are in malls and one was in the U District. Now the one in the U District was the 2nd largest gaming store I have ever been in, but it closed about 2 years ago. Not sure why, as the place was always busy when I was there. As for the two Mall store, one has a lot of competition close by and the other has none. I am on very friendly terms with both stores even though for a long time I have had to take my business elsewhere. If the stores are losing money then it’s their own fault. The manager at the Everett location (the one without competition) told me that all the WotC quit selling non-Hasbro line products. I had already quit business with them after I found out that they will no longer carry non-WotC RPG books. Since most of the gaming material I use is non-WotC I had no choice and even got into an argument over whether or not that was a bad business decision. I guess I was right. Now there is an independent store that is doing great (always has) that sells new books, and used out of print books. They do sell mostly of non-WotC d20 products and never seem to be stuck with them. That was part of the argument of the manager. After talking to him about it, it appears this small business man does his research on each d20 book. What his criteria is for deciding on carrying a book or not, I do not know, but he does sell quit a bit. He does carry all the major lines and/or books, Darwin’s World, T20 Traveller, Sword & Sorcery, L&L, so on. What is lacking (for good reason) are all the mini-adventures that WotC did have at one time. Now if a small business man can figure this out and make a decent profit, WotC store should have been able to. Sadly now I have a 20-30 min drive from my location to any gaming store, but then again, I have resorted to eBay and the small business for all my gaming needs for about 6+ months now anyways.

                        ,

                        > money!

                      • johnxcrim
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                          --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, FenrysStar@a... wrote:
                          > I'd be upset at this but there was never a WOTC store near me, in
                          > Philadelphia, PA and by near me I mean where I can readily bus to
                          it. I get my stuff
                          > either through mail order or by finding it at comic book shops that
                          side line in
                          > carrying it. And the one hobby shop that I banter with the
                          proprietor and his
                          > main assistants with. It's a shame but I'm not going to lose sleep
                          over it.

                          What hobby shop would that be, if you don't mind my asking? I do all
                          my shopping in Abington, which has a full-on game and hobby shop,
                          since the comic book stores tend to have really *tiny* collections.

                          John C
                        • Vanzirra Dreelantar
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                            --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "Jory Earl" <j.earl@c...> wrote:
                            > I can tell you guys have never been dumped from a job because a
                            corporation wanted to cut its losses. I have and I really don't
                            appreciate your attitude about it. I know from first hand experience
                            what its like to have a corporate broom shoved up my ass.

                            > Yeah I hope the corporations pay for their greed someday.

                            Actually, I am so familiar with the concept of being screwed by
                            corporations that I'm numb to it now. Though I'll tell you, in my
                            teen years I considered the murder of anyone who wore a suit to work
                            as not a crime. In fact, I thought of the slaying of anyone in an
                            executive position as something deserving of a medal. So I do
                            understand your bitterness.

                            However, I also understand their desire to not lose money. The
                            purpose of a business is to make money. Any service or product is
                            merely a side effect. We could argue this for hours on end, but I for
                            one, would prefer to get back to the general GW discussion.

                            Now that I think of it however, it is a bit ironic that I'm the one
                            coming of as defending the corporations, since less than a year ago I
                            was the one getting reamed on this board for ranting against Wizards
                            & their 'corporate greed'.

                            OK, I may have seemed a bit mean spirited in my earlier post, and
                            I'll apologize for that. Now, let's all get back to talking GW, OK.
                          • Vanzirra Dreelantar
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 6, 2004
                              --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, "Omega" <omega2064@h...> wrote:
                              > Lets not forget dropping the stores within walking distance of
                              > allready existing RPG stores. "All coincidence mind you... HONEST!"
                              >
                              > Actually, yes, some had to have been coincidence. WOTC's research
                              > people arent the brightest bulbs sometimes. :P
                              >
                              > As for the stores doing badly. The three I have seen were doing
                              quite well. Well enough to more than once grind the local RPG shop
                              out of business according to accounts from those in other areas.

                              > The workers were friendly and knowledgable of what was what at each
                              > I'd seen so I think you do these folk a bit of a disservice with
                              > the "brain dead" crack.
                              >
                              > It cannot be denied though that the WOTC stores were expensive to
                              > run. The ones I saw were elaborately decorated and well set up.
                              Very clean and professional in feel. And usually well stocked in a
                              good array of games, minis, and rpgs. Quality doesnt come cheap.

                              > The end result though is that they are gone and hopefully folk have
                              a local RPG or hobby shop still handy. The removal of the WOTCs will
                              likely benefit the smaller stores with the removal of competition.

                              > Omega

                              Yes, with any luck, these communities will see a boost in the local
                              gaming shops. Sadly, my town is sorely lacking in any place to buy
                              RPG materials, with the exception of Barnes & Noble, which only
                              carries D&D books. But, one can always hope, right?
                            • FenrysStar@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 7, 2004
                                There's two places in the NE that carry stuff, Allied Hobbies down at Grant and the Boulevard, Garden of Earthly Delights (not a lot but they do have stuff). Borders at Broad and Walnut, Out of Time on Walnut just off of broad, Fat Jack's at 20th and Sansom and Atomic City on South St. And that's just off the top of my head.
                              • Kveldulf@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 7, 2004
                                  In a message dated 1/6/04 9:59:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, zirra_scrohunter@... writes:

[...]

                                  Actually, funny that you should mention this since it is germane to the backstory of GW (well., at least depending on your GW backstory).

                                  For my GW, I developed much of my backstory from combining Roger Moore's GW timeline with some ideas I gleaned from science fiction literature.  One of the major ones (primarily influenced by the Haldeman's "The Forever War", Silverberg's "The World Inside" and various stuff by Brian Aldiss) was that increasing automation of production would lead to the production of a "leisure class" or "consumer class", whose sole function was to consume the overabundant goods produced by all too efficient production methods.  End result being that an entire class of persons comes into being whose sole business is to "be on the dole" and simply consume the excess goods produced by a high-tech society (their labor being absorbed by <let's admit it> nonessential nonproductive pursuits like entertainment etc . (for example, massively multiplayer games and such).

                                  In my GW, this increasingly esoteric specialization was one of the many reasons why people worldwide became polarized by political (and pseudopolitical) causes and were so helpless when the sh!t hit the fan during the Social Wars (ie. what happens when several million persons who eran their living by buying and selling services in virtual worlds like Everquest 12-18 hours per day are suddenly politicized and given real weapons manufactured in "omniforges" widely available to create custom consumer goods but now loaded with templates for Tec-9's?).

                                  Thoughts from the peanut gallery..

                                  Andy

                                  PS - having spent the last 8 year sworking for large corporations, there is a difference between measures taken to ensure a corporation's survival in  hard times and the petty political bullsh!t that passes for cost-cutting during the hard times.  Frankly , from my limited POV the WOTC cutbacks seem to be a dose of the former (abandoning a poorly thought out retail venture by a non-retail based corp) rather than the latter (hanging otherwise well-performing stores out to dry).  From that standpoint, while regrettable, it makes good business sense to can the WOTC store concept.  As a fringe benny, indie gaming stores should get mor ebusiness from what was lost to the WOTC stores.  But that's just my 2 cents.
                                • Kveldulf@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 7, 2004
                                    In a message dated 1/7/04 10:52:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, john1x@... writes:

                                    --- In gammaworld@yahoogroups.com, FenrysStar@a... wrote:
                                    > I'd be upset at this but there was never a WOTC store near me, in
                                    > Philadelphia, PA and by near me I mean where I can readily bus to
                                    it. I get my stuff
                                    > either through mail order or by finding it at comic book shops that
                                    side line in
                                    > carrying it. And the one hobby shop that I banter with the
                                    proprietor and his
                                    > main assistants with. It's a shame but I'm not going to lose sleep
                                    over it.

                                    What hobby shop would that be, if you don't mind my asking?  I do all
                                    my shopping in Abington, which has a full-on game and hobby shop,
                                    since the comic book stores tend to have really *tiny* collections.

                                    John C

                                    Abington, PA?  I ask since I'm currently living in Devon, PA.  Last I heard the only hobby / gaming shop in this area outside of Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr was Jenkintown Hobbies, but they closed down several years ago.  'Course, I was living in Besalem, PA (Bucks County) the last few years and grew up in south NJ so I'm not terribly familiar with PA gaming outlets.

                                    Andy
                                  • johnxcrim
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 8, 2004
                                      > Abington, PA? I ask since I'm currently living in Devon, PA. Last
                                      I heard
                                      > the only hobby / gaming shop in this area outside of Showcase
                                      Comics in Bryn
                                      > Mawr was Jenkintown Hobbies, but they closed down several years
                                      ago. 'Course, I
                                      > was living in Besalem, PA (Bucks County) the last few years and
                                      grew up in
                                      > south NJ so I'm not terribly familiar with PA gaming outlets.

                                      It's Abington Games and Hobbies -- http://www.abingtongh.com -- and
                                      its run by the guy who used to run Jenkintown. I'm on my way up
                                      there today to pick my copy of Gamma World, actually, along with some
                                      miniatures for when I get the game up and running.

                                      While the various comic and books shops in Philly have *some* stuff,
                                      they just don't have much variety...especially with miniatures.
                                      Showcase Comics used to be pretty good, but they seem to be getting
                                      rid of much of their gaming section.

                                      John C