[gwmg] - Re: - New Campaign (Recolonization)

  • Moses Wildermuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
      Hello James

      &> The colonists will have a huge technological advantage over the natives.
      &> Taking that into account, these are a few possible ways of dealing with
      &> it:
      &>
      &> 1. Ignore the issue. The main conflict is between colonial powers - the
      &> native Gamma Terrans would be almost irrelevant. This setting reminds me
      &> a bit of Wasteworld

      And a lot like the Real World too. In this scenario, natives would probably
      be slowly annihilated until the few remaining survivors from thousands of
      individual cultures are "absorbed" into the colonial main-stream. also
      there would be a very strong possibility for a repeat of the revolutionary
      wars for independence within a few hundred years.

      &>
      &> 2. Boost the mental powers of the GTs. Imagine a game a bit like Ray
      &> Bradbury's Martian Chronicles in which the arrogant, overconfident
      &> colonisers slowly fall prey to the illusions generated by the "helpless
      &> savages" and descend into paranoia. I imagine this scenario would have to
      &> be played from the POV of the colonists, the natives would have to remain
      &> mysterious entities.

      I don't think the natives would /have/ to be played as mysterious entities,
      they could also be working their mutations right under the colonials noses
      virtually undetected with maybe a mysterious organization behind it, that
      ends up being formed by the native servants and laborers, etc.. Also
      consider that some natives may be transported to the "home moons" for use
      as servant/slave whatever...

      &>
      &> 3. Boost the power of nature. Imagine a natural environment so hostile
      &> that all the hi-tech equipment of the colonist eventually made useless,
      &> but to which the natives are completely in tune. Harry Harrsion's
      &> Deathworld series might be a good source of inspiration for this. I guess
      &> one could play the natives in this scenario, but I still think it would
      &> be more atmospheric/scary if played from the colonist POV.
      &>

      DeathWorld was a very good series. I hadn't thought of this one, but it
      gave me the idea 4.

      4. Reduce the Colonials personal armor and weaponry level. During the yrs
      immediately following the Cataclysm the Leaders would have had to decide to
      focus energy more on surviving their worlds and keeping the spaceships
      operating, rather than building the latest weapons. In other words, they
      could be Tech VII(i.e. beyond all known tech levels) in medical and space
      sciences, Tech VI in most other areas, and only Tech IV-V in Military(Armor
      and Weaponry). In the game and in movies, the Automatic Rifle, is still an
      impressive TechIV weapon, (maybe they could be just a little more advanced
      with caseless ammo and built in grenade launcher/flamethrower(aka- the
      "Alien Special" ;-} ), and full suits of PlaSteel armor looks
      impressive(like a Storm Trooper), and are low enuff tech they shouldn't
      spoil GW's flavor too much.

      Just another idea...

      Regards
      --
      ;-} the "ubiquitous" Wolfy
      http://george.ecity.net/~wolf1/

      ICQ UIN-13469530

      Amiga3000/Warp040/43.5mHz!/
      GVP Spectrum/ASDG Dual Serial/

      To defend: this is the pact. But when life
      loses its meaning and is taken for naught,
      then the pact is to AVENGE! Heavy Metal (c)1981.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
    • Chris Conboy
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
        Moses Wildermuth wrote:

        > &> 2. Boost the mental powers of the GTs. Imagine a game a bit like Ray
        > &> Bradbury's Martian Chronicles in which the arrogant, overconfident
        > &> colonisers slowly fall prey to the illusions generated by the "helpless
        > &> savages" and descend into paranoia. I imagine this scenario would have to
        > &> be played from the POV of the colonists, the natives would have to remain
        > &> mysterious entities.
        >
        > I don't think the natives would /have/ to be played as mysterious entities,
        > they could also be working their mutations right under the colonials noses
        > virtually undetected with maybe a mysterious organization behind it, that
        > ends up being formed by the native servants and laborers, etc.. Also
        > consider that some natives may be transported to the "home moons" for use
        > as servant/slave whatever...

        Which brings up the idea of new Cryptic Alliances. The obvious ideas are
        something along the lines of the Alienists (Alien Friends), who are in favor of
        the aliens and wish to devote themselves to the "aliens". And the Terranists
        (Earth Firsters), who are against the off-worlders and act against them. It
        would be interesting to see how the KGP feel about all of this.

        -Chris

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
          Hello Chris

          On 01-Apr-99, Chris Conboy wrote:
          &> Moses Wildermuth wrote:
          &>>
          &>
          &> Which brings up the idea of new Cryptic Alliances. The obvious ideas are
          &> something along the lines of the Alienists (Alien Friends), who are in
          &> favor of the aliens and wish to devote themselves to the "aliens". And
          &> the Terranists (Earth Firsters), who are against the off-worlders and act
          &> against them. It would be interesting to see how the KGP feel about all
          &> of this.

          This is what I was thinking too, just could not form the exact words. The
          old power struggles and the original cryptic alliances would be shattered,
          splintered or otherwise made less, when the "invasions" came. New Alliancs
          would form secretly and openly both for and against the new rulers.
          Remember that even in GW, Alliances are nothing more than a bunch of
          "ordinary people" who work/live/fight/die together under common
          circumstances, beliefs, and goals. Some may fight on one Empire's Alliance
          to seek revenge against an old enemy, then a few yrs later fight against
          that same Empire with a different alliance. There are a lot of historical
          precedents to use for backdrops in this type of campaign.

          &>
          &> -Chris
          &>
          &> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          &> eGroups Spotlight:
          &> "Kosovo-Reports" - Direct reports from Kosovo/Serbia/Yugoslavia.
          &> http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/5
          &>
          &> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
          &> Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com
          &>
          &>
          Regards
          --
          ;-} the "ubiquitous" Wolfy
          http://george.ecity.net/~wolf1/

          ICQ UIN-13469530

          Amiga3000/Warp040/43.5mHz!/
          GVP Spectrum/ASDG Dual Serial/

          To defend: this is the pact. But when life
          loses its meaning and is taken for naught,
          then the pact is to AVENGE! Heavy Metal (c)1981.

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/gammaworld
        • James
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
            > &> 1. Ignore the issue. The main conflict is between colonial powers -
            the
            > &> native Gamma Terrans would be almost irrelevant. This setting reminds
            me
            > &> a bit of Wasteworld
            >
            > And a lot like the Real World too. In this scenario, natives would
            probably
            > be slowly annihilated until the few remaining survivors from thousands of
            > individual cultures are "absorbed" into the colonial main-stream. also
            > there would be a very strong possibility for a repeat of the
            revolutionary
            > wars for independence within a few hundred years.

            That's the strength of the idea, it's resonance with real life.

            > I don't think the natives would /have/ to be played as mysterious
            entities,
            > they could also be working their mutations right under the colonials
            noses
            > virtually undetected with maybe a mysterious organization behind it, that
            > ends up being formed by the native servants and laborers, etc.. Also
            > consider that some natives may be transported to the "home moons" for use
            > as servant/slave whatever...

            Put it this way, even if the natives are not mysterious themselves, their
            powers ought to be. One of the weakness of most magic systems in RPGs is
            that the players all understand too well the mechanics behinds it and the
            nature and limits of each effect. That's good for a tactical style game but
            dreadful if you are aiming for atmosphere.

            > 4. Reduce the Colonials personal armor and weaponry level. During the
            yrs
            > immediately following the Cataclysm the Leaders would have had to decide
            > focus energy more on surviving their worlds and keeping the spaceships
            > operating, rather than building the latest weapons. In other words, they
            > could be Tech VII(i.e. beyond all known tech levels) in medical and space
            > sciences, Tech VI in most other areas, and only Tech IV-V in
            Military(Armor
            > and Weaponry). In the game and in movies, the Automatic Rifle, is still
            an
            > impressive TechIV weapon, (maybe they could be just a little more
            > with caseless ammo and built in grenade launcher/flamethrower(aka- the
            > "Alien Special" ;-} ), and full suits of PlaSteel armor looks
            > impressive(like a Storm Trooper), and are low enuff tech they shouldn't
            > spoil GW's flavor too much.

            That is still more than enough to blow away any tech II GW native,
            particularly when you consider air support and recognizance, radio
            communications etc. Bare in mind that the aliens in Aliens would not have
            been so successful if not for the marine's blunders and sheer bad luck. In
            a protracted campaign, the aliens would not stand a chance.

            Regards,

            --- James ----

            http://www.jpb-s.demon.co.uk / Gamma World Appreciation & Mutant Bikers of
            the Atomic Wastelands