Re: [gwmg] - Re: - GW 4th edition (Skills)

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 29, 2001
      Dwayne,

      My guess is that the original reason XP's were designed the way they were, was b/c at the time, the only skills a 1st ed AD&D character HAD were combat skills, casting spells, stealing, & healing the rest of the party. The mage recieved xp's for casting spells at the opponent, thieves got 'em for stealing anything they got their hands on, & clerics were bestowed xp's for their faith, piety & the ability to duct tape the fighters & henchmen back together.

       Since then, skills have taken on a much more prominent place in other games & most recently in dnd, and combat derived xp's won't make you smart enough to gain in skill level. However, xp's in my games have for a long time come by other methods than combat. I usually have the pc mark down so many xp's & beside it, what he/she did to earn it. Thinking through a problem, using certain skills, roleplaying, & creativity were all ways to earn xp's & could be used upon level advancement for certain skills or abilities. (If not enough xp's were earned to gain a level, I gave the character a temporary +1 to certain skills or proficiencies, but only in certain circumstances; no stress, easy difficulty, etc...)

      As for learning new skills, they MUST be learned through trial & error (thus the Artifact Flow Chart.... Aaaauuuugh!), or someone must take the time to teach them. And this will require non-adventuring time, PLUS a lot of LOOT!

      For Those about to Duct-tape, We Salute You!
      Bobjester at bobjester28@...

      I tend to agree with Andy, the class system seems out of place.  One of the
      main reasons I switched from D&D to Warhammer was that I liked the fact you
      could just change careers and find yourself learning completely different
      skills without totally revamping your character.  In the end, Warhammer was
      too limited in others ways (for me anyway), so I went back to D&D.  Still, I
      like a straight skill system.  If limitations must be imposed, tech level
      may be more impropriate.  All of this is a mute point if the GM uses a
      little common sense when authorizing characters to learn new skills.  You
      don't just wake up one morning and suddenly know how to drive a tank or
      shoot a rocket launcher.

      my 2 cents,

      Dwayne
    • Benjamen Hebert
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2001
        > > Well, your not the only one as I have heard. And yes
        > > there was an improvement
        > > made as I recall. Now if I could just remember who
        > > it was. The name of Kerry
        > > comes to mind. I don't think I have a link anymore.
        > > Yep I got it here, it is
        > > called Secrets of the Ancients by Kerry Jordan, and
        > > it is a Netbook. It has a
        > > new way to do skills, and as I recall my group using
        > > is liked it a lot. Kerry
        > > you still out there? :-)
        >
        > I have heard of that book mentioned on several
        > differant occasions and have been trying to find it.
        > Every link that I try to follow to it doesn't seem to
        > work :(. Would you send me a working link or (even
        > better) a copy of the book?

        I have the skill list on my site (with proper credit to Kerry of course.)

        Come look:
        http://venus.spaceports.com/~vadvaro/gamma_world_frame.html

        Click the link on the left under Gamma 4x for the skills list.