Online Survey - Game Genres

  • dacubsdabullsdabears
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
      This is a really interesting survey measuring the difference between game genres by comparing the game attributes of each one.

      http://www.surveyshare.com/s/AQA2JVB
    • Brandon Van Every
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
        On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM, dacubsdabullsdabears <
        dacubsdabullsdabears@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > This is a really interesting survey measuring the difference between game
        > genres by comparing the game attributes of each one.
        >
        > http://www.surveyshare.com/s/AQA2JVB

        My opinion is, RPGs have more variety of goals than the other genres, but
        not as much as you'd think, because in a hand-wavy sense RPGs are often
        just glorified video games. For instance, Diablo. Even classical pencil
        and paper D&D can be argued to be a "really slow video game," at least as
        far as combat goes. Which makes sense because D&D arose from tabletop
        miniatures wargames.

      • David Lamb
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
          IMHO the survey is poorly designed because they only want input from people
          who play ALL the categories of games they list; you can't reply just for
          the subset you actually play unless you lie.

        • Brandon Van Every
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011
            On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM, David Lamb <david.alex.lamb@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > IMHO the survey is poorly designed because they only want input from people
            > who play ALL the categories of games they list; you can't reply just for
            > the subset you actually play unless you lie.

            I decided to lie about racing and sport games.

            I've played very few racing games, and not more than the 1st level of any
            that I've tried. Either I, or all the UIs, are prone to oversteering and
            crashing the cars. Why bother? So I just put down that it takes me 15+
            tries to get through an average level. The last time I did a racing game
            any justice, I was judging for the IGF. It wasn't *that* great of a game
            so I didn't do it *that* much justice, but I did try to apply some
            objective discipline, even though I really don't like the genre. That game
            had the same "oversteer" control problem of every other racing game I've
            played.

            Mind you, in my 20s I liked *real* racing just fine. In my '93 Ford Probe
            GT. Been there, done that, had my fun. Got a few tickets. Now I drive
            like a little old granny. Partly because my '84 Chevy Citation II V6 can't
            do much more than that. Partly because I'm older and have less
            testosterone.

            I just don't play sport games. Not unless you count something like "Atari
            Tennis" back on the Atari 2600, which was probably not that much more than
            Pong. I seemed to remember the Intellivision had the "realistic" baseball
            game and so forth. Couldn't be bothered. So, when they asked me how long
            it takes to get onto first base, I just guessed. 2 tries? Whatever, don't
            care.

            The survey might be improved by asking whether one actually likes the
            various genres, or plays the various genres much.