Re: Civ V distractions

  • Brandon Van Every
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:

      > Not sure how much more I can do with the demo.  Haven't marched the
      > Persians all over the place.  Haven't deliberately tried to trigger
      > Golden Ages much.

      I learned how to do an Immortal Rush. Part of the trick is not to try
      to become too happy too soon. The Persian units get a +1 movement
      bonus and a +10% combat bonus during their Golden Ages, plus their
      Golden Ages last 50% longer than usual. So, get some units on the
      board, and develop farms first, not luxuries. Golden Age occurs
      around turn 50..60. Get a general using Honor policies. Because of
      all your fighting, a 2nd general will soon appear. When your 1st
      Golden Age ends, sacrifice 1 of your Generals so that a 2nd Golden Age
      begins. I managed to wipe out England + all the city states that were
      neutral towards me, leaving only 2 Friends who used to be Allies.
      It's fairly profitable to knock off a city state when another city
      state wants it eliminated, as you tend to get big food or culture
      bonuses for doing so. Also, city states are really easy to kill if
      they haven't built walls yet. You can just park your troops right
      next to the walls, and they'll just get pissed at you for trespassing,
      they won't attack. So compared to attacking regular civs, you pretty
      much get a free first strike. The main inefficiency in my campaign
      was I built too many Immortals and didn't research Catapults until
      fairly late. I had big traffic jams and only managed to deploy 1
      Catapult against the last city. It's possible to take out walled
      cities with only Immortals, but it takes awhile, as you get really
      wounded on your attacks, and then have to take a long time to heal
      your units. There's a point at which you can probably take out 2
      cities at once, you don't need to concentrate your forces on just 1
      anymore, and I didn't really make that transition.

      The demo's performance is fairly bad, BTW. I have a 2 GHz Centrino
      Duo and a NVIDIA 8600M GT graphics card. This isn't some embedded
      graphics slouch, it was a midrange system a few years ago. Civ isn't
      displaying anything terribly remarkable as far as graphics go, so I
      don't know what it's doing to choke as badly as it does. Lots of UI
      lag during the later game. I remember this being a problem with Civ
      IV as well. It was a known issue that lots of people experienced. I
      think they patched it eventually, but demos have a tendency to never
      get patched. The 3d graphics also go kablooey at various times, with
      corrupted icons and fonts at a minimum, and "rainbow giant triangle
      dance" at a maximum.

    • Brandon Van Every
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
        On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:
        > The main inefficiency in my campaign
        > was I built too many Immortals and didn't research Catapults until
        > fairly late.

        Actually I'm not sure that was a problem. When I tried making
        catapults instead of immortals, it took way too long to get the
        research and production together for it. Immortals may not be that
        tough against walls, but if you've got a swarm of them, you can do the
        job. If you don't mind waiting you don't even have to lose units, you
        can just rotate them. Generally I would keep my "medic" units fairly
        healthy and let the non-medic units do most of the killing and dying.
        Once the city is weak enough, everybody attacks to win. Then they
        lick their wounds after the city is ours.

        > The demo's performance is fairly bad, BTW.

        It's really annoying. I finally deleted the demo. Steam says I
        played it for 83 hours! I know Civ is a long game, and a 100 turn
        demo still takes me at least 5 hours to get through, but geez. I
        think I figured out what basically there is to know about the game.
        Trying out tactical nuances gets annoying when I can count on super
        duper lag in the midgame.