A new companion

  • Kashan Danish
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
      Hay everybody!
      I am new in your worold. Please alwase make me awre of new researchs in this
      field

    • Brandon Van Every
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2010
        On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Kashan Danish <kashan_danish@...>wrote:

        > Hay everybody!
        > I am new in your worold. Please alwase make me awre of new researchs in
        > this
        > field

        I'm researching how to design and develop games for $0 rent in the US
        National Forests using a deep cycle battery to run my laptop. :-)

      • Brandon Van Every
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Kashan Danish <kashan_danish@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Hay everybody!
          >> I am new in your worold. Please alwase make me awre of new researchs in
          >> this field
          >
          > I'm researching how to design and develop games for $0 rent in the US
          > National Forests using a deep cycle battery to run my laptop.  :-)

          The research is concluded. Half my camping gear got stolen, including
          important items like my tent, my sleeping mat, and my stove. A
          survival nutjob threatened to shoot my dog with a large caliber
          handgun. Hunting season is not that far off. Game over. The
          potential gun violence is the part that I found most traumatic, and
          it's not something I anticipated when making my plans. Over 3 months
          I worked through many kinks and hurdles, to the point that I thought
          things were working, that I had developed a sustainable life. Until
          it stopped working. Very disappointing.

        • Ryan Fisk
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
            On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 13:15, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:
            >> I'm researching how to design and develop games for $0 rent in the US
            >> National Forests using a deep cycle battery to run my laptop.  :-)
            >
            > The research is concluded.  Half my camping gear got stolen, including
            > important items like my tent, my sleeping mat, and my stove.  A
            > survival nutjob threatened to shoot my dog with a large caliber
            > handgun.  Hunting season is not that far off.  Game over.  The
            > potential gun violence is the part that I found most traumatic, and
            > it's not something I anticipated when making my plans.  Over 3 months
            > I worked through many kinks and hurdles, to the point that I thought
            > things were working, that I had developed a sustainable life.  Until
            > it stopped working.  Very disappointing.

            What region of the country were you in again? I only ask because I'd
            like to avoid it. I currently live in rural Wyoming and have camped,
            fished, hunted, and hiked in this region, plus a fair amount in rural
            New York, Michigan, and Florida have never had anything like that
            occur. Were you doing it solo? Just curious, cause I thought it was
            very interesting to try computing from the boonies.

            --
            Ryan Fisk
          • TAZ
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
              Well, that certainly sucks. Just to satisfy my paranoid curiosity, were the items stolen for their value or to make you want to leave the area? I ask because the sleeping mat is an odd choice to steal.

              Police involved?
              --
              TAZ

              --- In gamedesign-l@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:
              > > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Kashan Danish <kashan_danish@...>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Hay everybody!
              > >> I am new in your worold. Please alwase make me awre of new researchs in
              > >> this field
              > >
              > > I'm researching how to design and develop games for $0 rent in the US
              > > National Forests using a deep cycle battery to run my laptop.  :-)
              >
              > The research is concluded. Half my camping gear got stolen, including
              > important items like my tent, my sleeping mat, and my stove. A
              > survival nutjob threatened to shoot my dog with a large caliber
              > handgun. Hunting season is not that far off. Game over. The
              > potential gun violence is the part that I found most traumatic, and
              > it's not something I anticipated when making my plans. Over 3 months
              > I worked through many kinks and hurdles, to the point that I thought
              > things were working, that I had developed a sustainable life. Until
              > it stopped working. Very disappointing.
              >

              > Cheers,
              > Brandon Van Every

            • Brandon Van Every
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
                On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Ryan Fisk <ryan.fisk@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 13:15, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...<bvanevery%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > The research is concluded. Half my camping gear got stolen, including
                > > important items like my tent, my sleeping mat, and my stove. A
                > > survival nutjob threatened to shoot my dog with a large caliber
                > > handgun.
                >
                > What region of the country were you in again? I only ask because I'd
                > like to avoid it. I currently live in rural Wyoming and have camped,
                > fished, hunted, and hiked in this region, plus a fair amount in rural
                > New York, Michigan, and Florida have never had anything like that
                > occur.

                This was the Pisgah National Forest, Pisgah Ranger District, southwest of
                Asheville, NC in the Appalachian mountains. The region is highly built up,
                with way too many campers and other types on a holiday weekend. Half of
                this "National" Forest is people's private land and driveways. My theory is
                that when there are too many people living on National Forest land, and too
                much urban buildup nearby, then there isn't enough room for all the bears,
                bear hunting hounds, campers, and handgun toting survivalist nutjobs to
                coexist peacefully. Oh, and the hidden drug dealers and drug makers, let's
                not forget them. If I try it again I'll try somewhere like Wyoming, where I
                hope there isn't much of anyone.

                > Were you doing it solo?

                Solo with dog.

                > Just curious, cause I thought it was
                > very interesting to try computing from the boonies.

                The computing part worked, minus the internet. I didn't get as much juice
                out of my deep cycle battery as I had hoped. I had to drive once a day for
                maybe 40 minutes to support my 6..8 hour / day laptop habit. I figure I
                burned ~1 gallon gas / day. I was hoping I'd last 2 days. I used an AC
                power inverter and mostly ran my laptop straight off the car battery.
                Pulling a chair up next to my car wasn't anywhere near as inconvenient as I
                thought it would be. My Dell laptop has a proprietary charging interface;
                if you put in a charger that Dell doesn't sanction, it refuses to charge
                your battery and cuts your CPU clocks in half. The recognition circuitry is
                known to go dead, and mine did, shortly after I tried a DC-DC charger. I
                bought an external battery charger to work around the problem, as it simply
                wasn't worth putting money into this old laptop's motherboard. The external
                battery charger turned out to be extremely slow. Takes as long to recharge
                as actually using the battery. So, running straight off the car battery
                allowed me to skip the recharge delay. I'd save the laptop battery for when
                I didn't want to sit next to the car anymore, like late at night if it got
                too cold and I wanted to retreat to my tent.

              • Brandon Van Every
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
                  On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM, TAZ <tzircher@...> wrote:

                  > Well, that certainly sucks. Just to satisfy my paranoid curiosity, were the
                  > items stolen for their value or to make you want to leave the area? I ask
                  > because the sleeping mat is an odd choice to steal.

                  The thieves took everything. Even items with no value, like a plastic jug
                  of tap water, and a homemade instrument consisting of a wooden bow, an old
                  string, and a plastic bottle. Possible explanations: (1) Mr. Nutjob took
                  everything for spite, (2) ghetto campers pulled up and made off with
                  everything, because they really enjoyed the luxury of plastic cups and free
                  water, (3) professional thieves don't think, they just take everything and
                  figure out what's valuable later. Or they have advanced fencing techniques
                  which make even cheap items worth something. I really don't know what the
                  explanation is, but I find it odd that they took the worthless stuff.

                  > Police involved?

                  Does taking a report and throwing it in a big file with all the other rash
                  of thefts in the area count as "involved?" The report was taken by a county
                  deputy, then turned over to the Forestry Service. They haven't called me.