secret doors

  • Brandon Van Every
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
      I woke up the other day and was in a RPG frame of mind. I've played a
      lot of Freeciv lately (as usual), with big maps, and lots of huts.
      The point is to "pop all the huts" on the map in order to go up the
      tech curve. I realized it's mostly an exploration game, and that in a
      RPG they might as well be chests. This got me thinking about some
      kind of simple dungeon crawling game where one spawns exploration
      units, rather like what I'm doing in Freeciv, and there are a limited
      number of "combat" resources available to plow through difficult
      areas. Mostly it would be about searching and choosing where to
      search next though.

      And so, I think about secret doors. In particular, secret doors as a
      form of Hidden Object game. Usually when secret doors have appeared
      in games I've played, it's been part of a puzzle, or a stat driven
      ability, i.e. how good I am at detecting secret doors. In FPS it's
      often just some obscure trick or easter egg that you wouldn't know
      about unless you've tried literally everything. I don't recall seeing
      a game where you had to find secret doors by direct visual
      observation. Have you played such a game?

    • Rainer Deyke
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
        On 4/15/2010 13:44, Brandon Van Every wrote:
        > And so, I think about secret doors. In particular, secret doors as a
        > form of Hidden Object game. Usually when secret doors have appeared
        > in games I've played, it's been part of a puzzle, or a stat driven
        > ability, i.e. how good I am at detecting secret doors. In FPS it's
        > often just some obscure trick or easter egg that you wouldn't know
        > about unless you've tried literally everything. I don't recall seeing
        > a game where you had to find secret doors by direct visual
        > observation. Have you played such a game?

        Ultima 6. All of the secret doors are clearly visible if you look
        closely. I still had trouble finding some of them.

        Less directly, almost all first person RPGs that I have played had
        buttons that are difficult to see.

        --
        Rainer Deyke - rainerd@...
      • Wayne Imlach
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
          Tried this little game? Desktop Dungeons:

          http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

          <http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20>It's nice as almost every move, though
          simple and deterministic, must be carefully considered in order to 'beat'
          each dungeon successfully.

          On 15 April 2010 21:44, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:

          > I woke up the other day and was in a RPG frame of mind. I've played a
          > lot of Freeciv lately (as usual), with big maps, and lots of huts.
          > The point is to "pop all the huts" on the map in order to go up the
          > tech curve. I realized it's mostly an exploration game, and that in a
          > RPG they might as well be chests. This got me thinking about some
          > kind of simple dungeon crawling game where one spawns exploration
          > units, rather like what I'm doing in Freeciv, and there are a limited
          > number of "combat" resources available to plow through difficult
          > areas. Mostly it would be about searching and choosing where to
          > search next though.
          >
          > And so, I think about secret doors. In particular, secret doors as a
          > form of Hidden Object game. Usually when secret doors have appeared
          > in games I've played, it's been part of a puzzle, or a stat driven
          > ability, i.e. how good I am at detecting secret doors. In FPS it's
          > often just some obscure trick or easter egg that you wouldn't know
          > about unless you've tried literally everything. I don't recall seeing
          > a game where you had to find secret doors by direct visual
          > observation. Have you played such a game?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Brandon Van Every

        • Gerry Quinn
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16, 2010
            From: "Brandon Van Every" <bvanevery@...>

            >I woke up the other day and was in a RPG frame of mind. I've played a
            > lot of Freeciv lately (as usual), with big maps, and lots of huts.
            > The point is to "pop all the huts" on the map in order to go up the
            > tech curve. I realized it's mostly an exploration game, and that in a
            > RPG they might as well be chests. This got me thinking about some
            > kind of simple dungeon crawling game where one spawns exploration
            > units, rather like what I'm doing in Freeciv, and there are a limited
            > number of "combat" resources available to plow through difficult
            > areas. Mostly it would be about searching and choosing where to
            > search next though.

            Might be an interesting game.

            > And so, I think about secret doors. In particular, secret doors as a
            > form of Hidden Object game. Usually when secret doors have appeared
            > in games I've played, it's been part of a puzzle, or a stat driven
            > ability, i.e. how good I am at detecting secret doors. In FPS it's
            > often just some obscure trick or easter egg that you wouldn't know
            > about unless you've tried literally everything. I don't recall seeing
            > a game where you had to find secret doors by direct visual
            > observation. Have you played such a game?

            Lots - I would have said it was the norm, going back to games like Dungeon
            Master and Eye of the Beholder.

            - Gerry Quinn