Re: [gamedesign-l] Redesigning Civ like games

  • Brandon Van Every
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 1, 2009
      On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Rainer Deyke <rainerd@...> wrote:

      > If more is necessary, bias the game toward completion by awarding
      > victory points. Victory points can be gained in various ways but never
      > lost, so the game tends toward a race instead of a stalemate.

      Freeciv games are often terminated based on relative score. It allows
      players to admit that they're losing. That said, sometimes people
      protest that the score doesn't measure the most important things, like
      tactical position or some such. Usually such protests are solved by
      walloping on the player until they see sense.

    • Brandon Van Every
      Message 78 of 78 , Mar 23, 2009
        On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:06 PM, David Lamb <david.alex.lamb@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...>
        > wrote:
        >> Waiting for
        >> catapults to Bombard the city defenses to 0% takes many turns.
        >
        > Only if you don't bring enough catapults.

        Then you have to wait to build the catapults. Either way you are
        waiting. Once you've got a force of catapults, it may take less time
        to lay siege. If you don't sacrifice the catapults to weaken the
        enemy on the final assault. But the 1st time you lay a serious siege,
        you have to build up that Stack of Doom. I say it takes too long,
        compared to previous Civs.

        >> Marching through enemy territory is slow. Foot units move 1 tile per
        >> turn, mounted units move 2 tiles per turn, half their speed on
        >> "regular" terrain.
        >
        > Yes, but -- I'm glad the enemy are limited to that rate when they come
        > attacking *me*.

        Does that mean you prefer long, nonviolent, defensive, single player
        experiences? I think if I ran this mechanic past the multiplayer
        Freeciv crowd, they'd find it irritating because it slows down the
        game so much.