Re: [gamedesign-l] Re: On Game Categorization

  • Philippa Cowderoy
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
      On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Rainer Deyke wrote:

      > If you're wasting time leveling up in a Final Fantasy game, you're doing
      > it wrong.

      That, or you're trying to nail the tougher side-quests or play with the
      shiny abilities.

      > Some games in the series even punish you for leveling up by leveling up
      > the monsters to match the party's level.

      From memory the main one to do this was FF8 and it did something worse.
      The monsters actually gain power faster than you /unless you complete a
      particular quest and use the resulting abilities/, in which case you
      instead want to wander around with a single-character party as much as
      often. And it does make a significant difference in the tougher
      sidequests.

      > Besides, a 90 minute Hollywood movie is the wrong point of comparison
      > for an 80 hour game. Try a 52 episode anime series (which is still only
      > 21 hours long in total). Many of those /are/ largely about leveling up,
      > although (arguably) not the better ones and not the ones targeted at
      > adults.

      The ones that're any good have a degree of plot progression going on
      during the 'levelling', too. There's a difference between levelling and
      monster of the week.

      --
      flippa@...

      "My religion says so" explains your beliefs. But it doesn't explain
      why I should hold them as well, let alone be restricted by them.