Templates!!!!!!!!!!

  • The Black Charlie Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2007
      Does any have information on any Templates for a game design
      documents???
    • Wulf
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2007
        Hello,
        You might want to check out gamedev.net , specificaly
        http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=23

        Chris Taylor has a good template posted there. You might want to think
        about creating yours from scratch though. That way you can put as much or
        little detail about the game your designing into the document. Then, after
        a concept document, you'll probably enjoy creating other things like the
        "technical design document".

        I just finished a game design course at my old college. Theres alot of
        great info that I got in that class. The book we had for the class is a
        good one, with detailed information about all the documents that need to be
        created, along with alot of good intel about the entire industry as well.
        Heres the nfo on it:

        Game Development Essentials
        ISBN 1-4018-6271-3

        Hope this helps you out a little.

        Wulf

        On 5/7/07, The Black Charlie Brown <mclemons_23@...> wrote:

        > Does any have information on any Templates for a game design
        > documents???

      • Aldrine E
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2007
          --- In gamedesign-l@yahoogroups.com, "The Black Charlie Brown"
          <mclemons_23@...> wrote:

          > Does any have information on any Templates for a game design
          > documents???

          There r many commonly used templates for game design document,I never
          learned any course like wulf but i self studied certain chapters and i
          found IDGA has some useful info and below are some other information i
          found in network

          http://www.ihfsoft.com/designdocuments.htm
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design
        • Christian Lynaes
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2007
            Hi,

            I'm somewhat surprised and pleased to see that people still reference
            my "dead for 2 years" website at www.ihfsoft.com.

            Given that my career has developed away from Game Design (and into
            Management Consulting!!) I haven't really got any intention of
            updating the site. Would anyone out there be interested in taking over
            the updating of the site? Does anyone have a good idea as to what I
            should do with the site?
            I've been thinking of turning it into a wiki but I never got any
            further than install the wiki software on the server.

            Cheers!
            Christian
            PS: Sorry for hijacking the topic - but I feel it has some relevance
            for the list as it deals with resources for game design.

            On 5/8/07, Aldrine E <phoenixaldrine@...> wrote:

            > --- In gamedesign-l@yahoogroups.com, "The Black Charlie Brown"
            > <mclemons_23@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does any have information on any Templates for a game design
            > > documents???
            > >

            > There r many commonly used templates for game design document,I never
            > learned any course like wulf but i self studied certain chapters and i
            > found IDGA has some useful info and below are some other information i
            > found in network
            >
            > http://www.ihfsoft.com/designdocuments.htm
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design

          • Brandon Van Every
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2007
              Ok, you've got lotsa links to stuff on other websites. Nobody needs those.
              They can just go read the other websites. Maybe you feel these links
              collect up some very specific, important information about some aspect of
              game design. I can't tell that from just glancing at your website though.
              To my unknowledgeable eye, it's just a bunch of external links of unknown
              value. I would either jettison all these links entirely, or refactor them
              into a "Best of the Best" listing. If your collection of external links is
              not of the highest quality, then they're just noise. And you definitely
              have too many links for all of them to be "precious." The refactoring
              exercise would be, like, "What are the 10 most important links I've ever
              made?" Or less, preferrably. I'd say 10 is the max.

              You've got game design template stuff. That's your own original content,
              and if people are still quoting it, I presume it's worth something to
              people. I'd throw out the rest of the website and keep that stuff
              showcased. Then I'd stick the 10 Best of the Best links in there and call
              it done.

              If you strip your site down to these core essentials, instead of imagining
              you're going to do a lot of work, then I think you'll have something easily
              doable that is of value to others. I can't see anyone stepping up to
              refactor or augment your content for you though. A wiki is a waste of time.

              You could contribute your original content to a website that already has the
              maintenance infrastructure for such articles. Like gamedev.net or some
              such, I dunno.

              It may be difficult to let go of "your babies," to see their value
              diminished over time, or to realize in hindsight that certain approaches
              simply weren't valuable to anyone else. But it sounds like you're in a
              position to accept that, which is why I'm saying this. Been through that in
              my own programming work recently.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2007
                On 5/8/07, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@...> wrote:

                > You could contribute your original content to a website that already has
                > the maintenance infrastructure for such articles. Like gamedev.net or
                > some such, I dunno.
                >
                > It may be difficult to let go of "your babies," to see their value
                > diminished over time, or to realize in hindsight that certain approaches
                > simply weren't valuable to anyone else. But it sounds like you're in a
                > position to accept that, which is why I'm saying this. Been through that in
                > my own programming work recently.

                I'm sorry this came out so grumpy yesterday. What I'm trying to say is, you
                have some things of value on your website. If you showcase those and
                aggressively prune the rest, you could get it down to 1 long page. Which, I
                figure you could maintain indefinitely without much hassle.