Re: [gamedesign-l] higher level languages vs. C++ OO

  • Gerry Quinn
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1 5:16 AM
      From: "Joel Davis" <joeld42@...>

      > Oooh! 7DRL sounds like a lot of fun! I want to do that! When's the next
      > one?

      The bad news is it was just a fortnight ago, so you'll have to wait until
      next year.

      You'll find all the details on rec.games.roguelike.development, and there's
      currently a thread devoted to reviewing the various 7DRLs (9 were completed)
      on rec.games.roguelike.misc.

      You can also check out RogueBasin <
      http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org >, your complete source for
      everything roguelike.

      - Gerry Quinn
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 5 1:16 AM
        Gerry Quinn wrote:

        > On the other hand, micromanagement is an issue, though I'm not convinced
        > it's all a numbers game. A lot of micromanagement issues come because the
        > player is given the tools and can't resist optimising. If you are opening
        > every city in Civ every turn or two, and you have not set yourself a
        > challenge at the ultimate level where you really *have* to micromanange
        > everything, then the problem is with you, not with the game.

        Actually the problem is often with default AIs that do incredibly stupid
        things if you leave them on auto-pilot. Like building for maximal
        global warming. Or maximally expensive happiness centers.