Game Design Challenge: The Emily Dickenson License

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      This is a GDC audio archive of a game design challenge: create a game
      based on a license of Emily Dickenson's poetry. Tough problem! Clint
      Hocking, Peter Molyneux, and Will Wright compete for solutions, subject
      to a vote by audience applause.
      http://gamasutra.com/features/20060509/gamapodcast_01.shtml

      All the ideas were interesting. Clint's solution was technical, about
      the mechanics of creating poetry. Peter's solution sounded like it was
      leveraging a "software toy / malleable clay" engine that he was
      promoting for other purposes. Will went after Emily Dickinson's
      character, and for my tastes, I think that's the way to untangle a knot
      such as this. What aspect of Emily's character is worth hearing about?
      If we were going to make a film about Emily's life, and we needed to
      pitch it to a mass audience, what would we put in the screenplay? I
      think once you understand that, "what matters" about Emily, then you
      have the correct point of departure for a game.