World Cyber Games

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2004
      I guess this is what I get for not being a multiplayer gamer.
      http://www.worldcybergames.com/overview/ov_wcghistory_wcg2003.asp
      Look at the prize money that's been awarded for this dang thing! That's
      about 7 times the amount that gets awarded for the Independent Games
      Festival. I suppose that's the power of mainstream marketing and
      mainstream taste. I'm thinking the prizes reflect the brand recognition
      of the games played, i.e. this is an advertizing budget.

      I'm wondering if there's any way for Indies to create such advertizing
      budgets. I am doubting it.

      Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
      Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

      "The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
      - anonymous entrepreneur
    • John Ludlow
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
        > I'm wondering if there's any way for Indies to
        > create such advertizing
        > budgets. I am doubting it.

        Yeah, me too. It'd take a long time for an Indie
        group to get together any meaningful sum of money.
        Corporate events like the WCG will get a lot of
        support from companies like Epic, Valve and Microsoft.

        These companies have an interest in making sure that
        these events have a good turnout, since it means more
        publicity for their games (UT, Half-Life/CS/Team
        Fortress, and Age Of Empires, respectively).
        Therefore, they give bigger sums of money, funded by
        the success of their games. Indie game developers may
        want to do something similar, but since their games
        sell fewer copies and are generally cheaper, they
        can't commit anything like the same amount of resources.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Louis Jackson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
          There is the potential for a) Indie gamers to group
          together and pool funds for the benifit of all b)
          writing some KA business proposals and getting bank
          funds or c) play the lottery like a fool.

          But seriously, through the long slow road of
          commitment, I would hope that an Indie game company
          could earn a good enough reputation and cult following
          in order to, eventually, gain a fan base large enough
          for major profits.

          Just my thoughts.

          -- Joe Hawkins