Now you can't say bad things about Haitians

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      I think in our games, we're best off if we only shoot White People. And
      make 'em generic white people, don't make 'em Italian mobsters 'cuz
      Italians have got organizations to lobby against those stereotypes. I
      think we should continue to ascribe all malfeasances of society to White
      People until such a time as everyone in the world is so hodgepodge and
      transplanted that nobody cares anymore or exactly remembers what a White
      Person is.

      I've been on the other side of this issue before. I remember sending
      nasty e-mails to Peter Molyneux about something on their Black & White
      website when it was in early development. Something about Native
      Americans. Can't remember the details, but it's all archived as this
      huge argument in comp.games.development.design.

      Fortunately, you can't ban or prosecute works of authorship in the USA
      unless they're hate speech, and the laws on that are a lot more specific
      than "portraying Hatians negatively."

      I await the firebranding of the Greaser lobby. "Just because I wear my
      hair like a 50's punk..."

      Cheers,
      Brandon

      http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=2539

      November 26, 2003

      New Protests To Ban GTA

      A statement from the Haitian Centers Council and Haitian Americans for
      Human Rights has condemned Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as "a cultural
      attack on the millions of Haitians living in the United States."

      The game, now over a year old, does feature a drug trafficking group
      referred to as ‘The Haitians’, but considering the game’s broad number
      of other simplistically portrayed racial groups picking out this one
      aspect, not to mention the time that has expired since the game was
      originally released, seems a little odd.

      Nevertheless activits from the Haitian community have joined with other
      GTA haters at New York’s City Hall, in an attempt to have the game
      banned.
    • Moah, platypus powaaa!
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
        Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

        > Fortunately, you can't ban or prosecute works of authorship in the USA
        > unless they're hate speech, and the laws on that are a lot more specific
        > than "portraying Hatians negatively."

        How would you call a mission to exterminate everyone of a specific origin,
        exactly (from what I remember of the suit, they were sueing because a mission
        consisted of killing all haitians)?

        Moah, platypus powaaa!
      • John Ludlow
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
          > How would you call a mission to exterminate everyone of a specific origin,
          > exactly (from what I remember of the suit, they were sueing because a
          mission
          > consisted of killing all haitians)?
          I'd say it was fair enough since if they were white, people wouldn't bat an
          eyelid. Except maybe for its lack of portrayal of Haitians...

          The problem also exists in films, and in society in general - everyone's too
          scared of being sued by opportunits to do anything remotely interesting.
          Then when something interesting is tried, people proceed to prove why this
          is. And as the article points out, why leave it a year?
        • Sev
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
            >How would you call a mission to exterminate everyone of a specific origin,
            >exactly (from what I remember of the suit, they were sueing because a mission
            >consisted of killing all haitians)?

            The game isn't telling people to engage in a Nazi-esque annihilation of all
            Haitians, just a specific group of them, and, IIRC, not because of their
            race, but because they're infringing on someone's turf.

            Under the law, if it's properly applied, that's a significant difference.

            --Sev

            Kids, don't try this at home. Do it out in a gravel pit, instead.

            "Go forth into the darkness and make a great light."

          • Rainer Deyke
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
              Sev wrote:
              > The game isn't telling people to engage in a Nazi-esque annihilation
              > of all Haitians, just a specific group of them, and, IIRC, not
              > because of their race, but because they're infringing on someone's
              > turf.

              Actually "the game" is not telling you anything of the sort. A *character
              in the game* is telling you to do this. Just as other characters in the
              game tell you to do any number of other illegal and immoral things. You
              could also do missions for the Haitians against their enemies. Most of the
              missions were optional so you could still win the game without completing
              them, although I don't know if this particular mission was optional or not.

              --
              Rainer Deyke - rainerd@... - http://eldwood.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
                From: Moah, platypus powaaa! [mailto:MOAH@...]

                > How would you call a mission to exterminate everyone of a
                > specific origin,
                > exactly (from what I remember of the suit, they were sueing
                > because a mission consisted of killing all haitians)?

                I don't recall GTA exactly, but I'd be surprised if these so-called
                "Haitians" are even physically portrayed as Haitians. I bet it's just a
                gang name and it has white, black, and Asian gang members in addition to
                Latino or Carribean looking sorts. The lack of racial unity was one of
                the first things I noticed about GTA, when I saw that the "Tong" were
                not Chinese or even vaguely Asian!

                Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
                Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

                Taking risk where others will not.
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2003
                  From: John Ludlow [mailto:johnludlow_uk@...]

                  > And as the article points out, why leave it a year?

                  I believe these kinds of racial / ethnic advocacy groups are poorly
                  organized. They don't have big fancy offices and professional staffs to
                  scour every issue or contend with every one of them. Perhaps also they
                  look opportunistically for the most likely way to advance their cause
                  with the least amount of cost. There's already quite a steamroller
                  arrayed against GTA, they're just adding fuel to the fire.