Re: RTS without building

  • diurge
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      [massive delurk]

      I'd suggest Pikmin for the Nintendo GameCube. At first it may not
      seem like an RTS but it is.

      The basic gist of the story is that your ship crashes on earth and
      it busts into 30 separate pieces. You only have 30 days to find
      everything because his space suit only has 30 days of energy and the
      atmosphere is filled with a deadly gas called "oxygen".

      So once you start you find this thing called the onion which spits
      out a single seed. After a few seconds it grows and you see a small
      plantin sticking out of the ground. You go over and pull it out and
      you have your first pikmin. You get more by having your pikmin cut
      down trees (small flowers) once they are cut down they product
      pellets with a number on it. You need that number of pikmin to
      carry that pellet. You can also get more of them by battling insects
      and other creatures and carrying them back to the Onion. Once there
      they are sucked into the Onion and a few more seeds sprout up from
      the ground depending on the size of the pellet and/or insect.

      At its heart its an RTS. You have 3 differetn "units" with separate
      abilities. You use them to accomplish "missions" getting your ship
      parts and growing more "units". You also have battles between
      your "units" and the inhabitants of the world.

      I admit its a quirky little game. I almost didn't buy it myself,
      but I took a chance on it and I love it.

      Regards,

      Diurge.
      [/massive delurk]

      --- In gamedesign-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon J. Van Every"
      <vanevery@3...> wrote:
      > Ok... in order to avoid reality and stimulate dopamine production,
      > binged on Diablo II again for the past day. Now I've uninstalled
      and
      > I'm done. I might have gotten some positive benefit out of it
      though.
      > I'm about to start an "excuse to learn C# GDI+ .NET" project, and
      I'm
      > thinking about video game mechanics in their simplest forms. Or
      really,
      > getting beyond their simplest forms. That's not really what I'm
      going
      > to write about though.
      >
      > This time around I played a Necromancer, and I tried to level up a
      big
      > skeleton crew. I had this fantasy of runaway exponentiation, of
      getting
      > lotsa experience without lifting a finger! Figured my bonies
      would do
      > all the work. Well... those Blizzard guys apparently paid
      attention to
      > game balance. My skeletons were never really all that tough, and I
      > always had to keep hitting buttons to keep my crew fighting.
      Sometimes
      > they were very effective, making mincemeat of levels that had
      stalled
      > the Barbarians, Sorceresses, and Amazons that I had recently
      tried. But
      > most of the time, they weren't any more powerful than any of the
      other
      > characters I had tried.
      >
      > I found that I had to fight in the front line as a "blocker." If I
      > tried to lay back and let the skeletons do the work, they wouldn't
      be
      > tough enough and I'd lose lotsa skeletons. Generally I'd go into
      battle
      > with some kind of Curse ready, in order to break up the main mass
      of
      > enemy blockers. My favorites were Iron Maiden, which reflects the
      > attacker's attack at 200% damage, and Terror, which causes the
      enemy to
      > run away.
      >
      > Terror was surprisingly effective because I could get 80% of the
      enemies
      > to run, and the remaining 20% were no match for my crew. Which
      was 7
      > skeletons, 5 skeleton mages, 1 golem, 1 town-specific hireling,
      and a
      > fair amount of Skeleton Mastery by the time I quit. My crew would
      kill
      > the stragglers, and then I'd have a few more dead bodies to turn
      into
      > skeletons to replace my losses. Then the other enemies would stop
      being
      > Terrified, would return, I'd Terrify them again, and do the same
      thing
      > again. It made for some long battles where I couldn't think of
      anything
      > but alternately hitting Terror, Heal, Mana, and Raise Skeleton. It
      > wasn't quite a Blitzkrieg, but it got the job done and sometimes
      I'd be
      > surprised how much ground I had covered in "one fight." There
      really
      > wasn't much "stop and reload," it was mostly go go go go go.
      >
      > It was at this point that I realized that I was playing a RTS.
      Except,
      > no annoying buildings to build. The only other RTS I've liked,
      Ground

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        diurge

        > [massive delurk]

        Look out! He's firing proton torpedoes!

        > I'd suggest Pikmin for the Nintendo GameCube. At first it may not
        > seem like an RTS but it is.

        Or Nintendo games, case may be. Thanks for the suggestion.