Responce to omulexi2000

  • kang2039@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hello Sam,

      Thank you for the response. My appologies for not getting back
      sooner been busy doing the resume thing and playing Stars.
      I'm glad to know that I'm not alone when it comes to the 'have to
      make changes and start all over again blues'. This design I'm
      working on now has been stewing and formenting for a long time and
      gone through about 3 versions in the last ten years.
      Usually something would happen to the work, hard drive failure,
      FAT file killing virus, or in the precomputer days a move and a
      losing of the ton of paper work created for a board game version. But
      the worst is the finding out you made a mistake on your nuclear
      damage allocation tables and realize that its not possible to
      intergrate it with the Kinetic Weapons damage tables that where done,
      and the latest one you know is right... and all the ones that you did
      before are Wrong by an order of magnitude... and if those are wrong
      then the planet disruption tables are wrong.. and you have to do them
      all over... well there goes four months down the tubes...
      Needless to say now that I'm a real stickler for the decimal point
      and getting those details nailed down. :)
      Thats kind of why I've been having a problem with the laser
      systems. There is very little in the way of hard data to extrapolate
      from. The only real numbers I've found for high powered systems are
      10^20 watts per centimeter^2. And thats it. No efficiency factors or
      material requirements, just that number.
      I'm hesitant about developing 15 different beam weapon systems
      from 1 number. I Think most of what I want is still classified so I
      may have to do a major research effort (read two weeks or so) to find
      out enough background info to frame the problem in a way that points
      to a solution. I was hoping for a quick fix.
      I may sound like I'm complaining alot but I'm actually having ball
      doing this. If I wasn't I'd be a masochist.
      So tell me whats the story with the roll playing game your doing.
      Have you developed the tactical system yet?
      If you did I hope you made it possible for characters to bleed to
      death. ( I don't like the way they do damage allocation in RPGs )
      Gives an insentive to know first aid or something similar. Or
      perhaps something that gives the player a reason to disengage and
      run like hell.

      Thanks for your time
      Kang