Re: [gamedesign-l] Digest Number 503

  • Alistair Hutton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002

      > Message: 5
      > Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:37:59 +0200
      > From: Lothar May <L-May@...>
      > Subject: Two things I most dislike in text-based adventures
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > there are some reasons why I don't like many text-based adventures,
      > and the two most important of these reasons are:

      Really your two reasons are should be for why you dislike _poor_
      text-adventures. Good text adventures have had "goto baker" or
      "follow fred" like commands for the last 15 years ('87 maybe a bit later
      than that). Also any reasoanble adventure would start you off with some
      task to do, even if it is as basic as getting home. Finally poor
      vocab for the command parser is simply lack of effort on the designer's
      part

      --
      Alistair Hutton
      huttona@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        Hello,

        Monday, April 01, 2002, 5:13:46 PM, you seemed to have written:

        > Really your two reasons are should be for why you dislike _poor_
        > text-adventures. Good text adventures have had "goto baker" or
        > "follow fred" like commands for the last 15 years ('87 maybe a bit later
        > than that).

        But this often only works after you first visited a place. Still, at
        the beginning, you often have to wander around north and south and
        north. Things like "follow fred" normally only work if you do them in time,
        otherwise they won't. You can't expect from a player to type in
        "follow fred" straight away and not try something else, at least
        not from a player who usually doesn't play text-based adventures.

        [...]

        > Finally poor
        > vocab for the command parser is simply lack of effort on the designer's
        > part

        Certainly it's lack of effort on the designer's part, but often it has
        nothing to do with poor vocab. As a designer, you can only think of
        the words a player might enter if you give him a task - he might enter
        anything if you don't, and even considering hundreds of words won't help
        you in that situation.

        Best regards,
        Lothar
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          > But this often only works after you first visited a place. Still, at
          > the beginning, you often have to wander around north and south and
          > north.

          I think you're asking to be able to see other rooms from where you're
          standing, in a text adventure. It's been done, I remember Suspended had
          this sort of thing, but models of visual occlusion are not the usual fare of
          text adventures. You could have a list of adjacent rooms. Well, for that
          matter you could have a list of compass exits. A lot of people don't like
          the artistic effect of explicit room exit lists, but it does make navigation
          easier.

          Cheers, www.3DProgrammer.com
          Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

          20% of the world is real.