A publishing question

  • James Margaris
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2001
      A question, then a somewhat off-topic observation.

      First the question. If someone had a completed commercial ready game that
      they wanted to get on store shelves and perhaps advertised how possible
      would it be to do that, either through a publisher or independently? Now the
      same question again say commercial-ready except lacking a soundtrack. Is it
      possible to walk into the door of a publisher with something essentially
      finished and get some sort of deal going? (Without asking for any money
      other than a cut of the sales obviously) I'm not asking about a demo, I'm
      asking about a product ready to go other than instruction manual, box, etc.
      Thanks,

      James M
    • Geoff Howland
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2001
        > A question, then a somewhat off-topic observation.
        >
        > First the question. If someone had a completed commercial ready game that
        > they wanted to get on store shelves and perhaps advertised how possible
        > would it be to do that, either through a publisher or independently? Now
        the
        > same question again say commercial-ready except lacking a soundtrack. Is
        it
        > possible to walk into the door of a publisher with something essentially
        > finished and get some sort of deal going? (Without asking for any money
        > other than a cut of the sales obviously) I'm not asking about a demo, I'm
        > asking about a product ready to go other than instruction manual, box,
        etc.

        What Ive found is that its a slight advantage to have a finished game, but
        can be a drawback as well as most publishers approve all games through their
        marketing departments (as if you cant sell it, theres no point in publishing
        it). So unless your finished game is exactly what they want, you are
        probably a lot better off having a good tech demo (and a team) that can be
        tuned to their desires for a selling theme and/or a license they have the
        rights to.

        That said, you may find a publisher with open slots who needs to fill them,
        and your finished game will work for them. There arent a lot of rules here
        as everyone works differently, so Id just suggest emailing and finding out
        the 3rd party publishing contact and then getting their phone number and
        calling so often they know its going to be you when they pick up the phone
        just by what time it is.

        Not a guarantee, but Ive had the best results pitching things that way.
        (Secondary advice, never leave them with them saying theyll call you back.
        Reword it so that you will call them back so that its easier for them.
        Otherwise youll probably never get a call back, and you avoid being rude by
        calling when you said youd wait for them. I like to let them know Ill call
        back tomorrow, or in 2 weeks, or whatever so its been confirmed were going
        to follow up on it)

        -Geoff