Re: [gamedesign-l] player mismatch

  • Ismo Kärkkäinen
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, James Margaris wrote:

      > This is actually in response to something earlier, when Brandon was saying
      > how hard it was to get back into a game you left halfway through.
      >
      > Didn't that point come up when we were talking about ways to do multi-player
      > SMAC-type games a few months ago? Except there the idea was that someone
      > else, *not* the original player, could step in and take over! Even harder.
      > So my question is does that still seem feasible? The proposed solution was
      > to present some graphs and basic summary info to the new player when they
      > came on-board.

      I faintly recall an article on Gamasutra long time ago where complexity of
      games was discussed. Regarding Civ-like games, I think the point was that
      because complexity builds up little by little the player can handle it,
      but if you save and come back later it's all there on your face without
      any preparation (the preparation having been hours of play). I don't think
      graphs/summary will help. Some of the game state depends on what the
      player was about to do and reflects the plan. If the plan is not known,
      understanding it may be difficult (until you figure it out by trial and
      error). If I'm loading my own saved game then at least I can remember what
      I was doing, but that's not an option for someone else's game. The future
      intentions and why things are done this way now would have to be written
      down/recorded, but who wants to do that for entertainment?

      Ismo Kärkkäinen

      -------------------| If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces
      M.Sc., Assistant | while I have no perceptiple form I can concentrate
      Dept. of CS | my forces while the enemy is fragmented.
      Univ. of Joensuu | The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the
      iak@... | formless. If it is formless, then even the deepest spy
      Tel:(013)251 7946 | cannot discern it nor the wise make plans against it.
      GSM: 040 774 3722 | -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, Datalinks