Re: Dave Morris interviewed by Il Mondo dei Librogames

  • Kieran Coghlan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      I just keep getting some error message about "leeching" and then get
      re-directed back to the download page

      --- In gamebooks@yahoogroups.com, Guillermo Paredes <gparedes76@...>
      wrote:

      > Same here.
      >
      > Guillermo
      >

      > --- El mié 31-dic-08, gamebookhunter <gamebookhunter@...>
      escribió:
      > De:: gamebookhunter <gamebookhunter@...>
      > Asunto: [gamebooks] Re: Dave Morris interviewed by Il Mondo dei
      Librogames
      > A: gamebooks@yahoogroups.com
      > Fecha: miércoles, 31 diciembre, 2008, 11:32 am
      >

      > Whenever I try it, a message pops up saying that the
      link is dead,

      > but it redirects me to the PDF.
      >

      > --- In gamebooks@yahoogrou ps.com, Guillermo Paredes
      <gparedes76@ ...>

      > wrote:
      >

      > > I had to try several times, but it finally worked.
      >

      > > Cheers,
      >

      > > Guillermo
      >

      > > --- El mar 30-dic-08, Kieran Coghlan <herc_freak@ ...>
      escribió:

      > > De:: Kieran Coghlan <herc_freak@ ...>
      >
      > > Asunto: [gamebooks] Re: Dave Morris interviewed by Il Mondo dei
      >
      > Librogames
      >
      > > A: gamebooks@yahoogrou ps.com
      >
      > > Fecha: martes, 30 diciembre, 2008, 9:27 am

      > > Is anyone else getting a broken link when they try to
      >
      > download this?
      >

      > > --- In gamebooks@yahoogrou ps.com, "gamebookhunter"
      >

      > > <gamebookhunter@ ...> wrote:
      >

      > > > I'm surprised that he listed Heart as Ice as his favourite
      book.

      > > > thought it would be one of the Blood Sword ones.
      >

      > > > --- In gamebooks@yahoogrou ps.com, "Guillermo" <gparedes76@ >

      > > this.

      > each
      >

      > > > new

      > > Italian

      > announce
      >

      > > > that

      > for

      > > > interviews

      > go
      >

      > > in-

      > > the
      >

      > > > wild

      > let's
      >

      > > > have

      > time,
      >

      > > > some

      > accepted
      >

      > > > on

      > about

      > > review

      > > doesn't
      >

      > > > look

      > > ¡Todo sobre Amor y Sexo!
      >
      > > La guía completa para tu vida en Mujer de
      >
      > Hoy.
      >
      > > http://mx.mujer yahoo.com/

      > ¡Todo sobre Amor y Sexo!
      > La guía completa para tu vida en Mujer de
      Hoy.
      > http://mx.mujer.yahoo.com/

    • Per Jorner
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2009
        >> riding the wave of the recent Dave Morris interest, the Italian
        >> gamebook site Il Mondo dei Librogames
        >> (http://www.librogame.com/modules/news/) is proud to announce that
        > an
        >> exclusive interview with Mr. Morris is now available for download
        > in
        >> PDF format, both in English and Italian.

        Let's see, Dave praises Mark Smith's VR books and Paul's Chinese
        whodunnit. I'm drawing conclusions here

        As foretold I've been reading Babelfish translations of the Italian VR
        reviews. Most of them bash the Smith books and celebrate the Morris books,
        so I have little to add there, except that there's one specific point of
        criticism against Green Blood that I think is based on missing a clue.

        Interestingly, at one point I thought I found myself referred to as "un
        lettore inglesi" - Anglosaxons are everywhere.

        Here are a few of the more amusing translation snippets. Disclaimer: this
        is not meant to ridicule the Italian language in itself*.

        * Because everyone already knows it's pretty silly.

        ---

        "Also it could here not be us apparently null of strange, but you memory
        that we find in a context fantasy where it is presupposed that the
        atmosphere is not particularly polluted and task that the cut trees can be
        calmly ripiantati without to step on the feet to no shark of the
        building."

        Yellow Snow 16: Shark of the Building.

        "As it is proceeded, the possibilities to make a choice wrong and to fail
        increase breathtakingly; in the final part, practically every crossroad
        contains a road that door to the dead women, in incoherent and totally
        unjust way."

        Dooring to the dead women sounds bad.

        "For the rest it is a splendid adventure duffle-coat"

        It is a what?

        "An adventure truly malfatta, with a structure infida, an approximate,
        uselessly laborious weft and monotona."
        "Although us it is some interesting detail, I find that the history
        narrated in these pages, l ' described acclimatization and l ' employment
        of the regulations is detestabili beyond every measure."

        I feel these sentiments on The Coils of Hate do a pretty good job of
        breaking down what remains of the language barrier.

        "Perhaps goodness knows, the tyrant did not have then all the cakes ."

        No one believed I was serious when I said TCoH is about the acquisition of
        cake.

        "Although the 56 () paragraphs of dead women"

        That is rather a lot of them.

        "The information are given job lot and the events are governed from the
        case."

        What.

        "It must remain killed a pair of times at least, before understanding that
        air pulls to Godorno and learning to survive."

        Clearly.

        "in a deprived of hope world where l ' cheat and the dead women are always
        in ambush"

        These dead women are beginning to scare me a little.

        Per Jorner aka Finster aka Coffee Dragon (pel@...)
        Hoompage at http://user.tninet.se/~wcw454p

        Dragons are like cats, only bigger, and sometimes they drink coffee.
      • efroriz
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
          Per, I do hope you realize how tremendously hilarious your posts and
          your reviews are. Seriously, I just can't stop laughing.

          While aware that you "don't mean to ridicule the Italian language in
          itself" (am I supposed to believe that? ;) ), I have some comments to do:

          > Interestingly, at one point I thought I found myself referred to as "un
          > lettore inglesi" - Anglosaxons are everywhere.

          I am responsible for this. Guillermo too complained about this, but
          the truth is, I can't really be sure where you guys are from. You
          write in English, you read books in English; it's just that easier to
          tag you all as Englishmen in reviews, although I do know you're not.
          My apologies if this touched a nerve. If this can make you happier, I
          mentioned your proper name in my Crypt of the Sorcerer review (though
          now I'm tempted to correct it and put in "Lavinia" instead)

          > "Perhaps goodness knows, the tyrant did not have then all the cakes ."
          >
          > No one believed I was serious when I said TCoH is about the
          acquisition of
          > cake.

          LOL, I can't believe Babelfish did this. You see, in Italian, "non
          avere tutti i torti" means "to be not entirely wrong". But "torti"
          (wrongs) is spelled almost exactly like "torta", which means "cake".

          > "Although the 56 () paragraphs of dead women"
          >
          > That is rather a lot of them.

          This one is incredible. Instead of the much more obvious choice of
          "morte" as "death", Babelfish translated "morte" as an adjective
          (feminine plural of "morto" = "dead")! Of course, the sentence
          referred to death paragraphs @_@

          > "For the rest it is a splendid adventure duffle-coat"
          >
          > It is a what?

          "A splendid sea adventure". Unfortunately, a "marinara" is also the
          kind of jacket Donald Duck uses to wear. It's scary how easily
          Babelfish is fooled in the choice between a noun and an adjective.

          > "The information are given job lot and the events are governed from the
          > case."
          >
          > What.

          "Job lot"?!

          > "in a deprived of hope world where l ' cheat and the dead women are
          always
          > in ambush"
          >
          > These dead women are beginning to scare me a little.

          Indeed -_-'