Re: [gamebooks] Re: New Interactive Thingy

  • robert.a.mammone@nab.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Jason Arnopp - writer of one or two Friday 13th novels. Enough said!

      "Leigh L." <leighlo@...>
      Sent by: gamebooks@yahoogroups.com
      01/07/2008 09:54 PM
      Please respond to
      gamebooks@yahoogroups.com

      gamebooks@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject
      [gamebooks] Re: New Interactive Thingy

      > While flicking through the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine
      > (397) in WHSmiths I discovered that it contains a behind-the-scenes
      > feature on a recent episode in the format of an interactive
      > adventure. May be of interest to some here.

      It's actually pretty well done, too - certainly better than I'd
      expected. Not familiar with the author (Jason Arnopp) but he seems to
      be comfortable enough with the setup. I did find a post on his blog
      about it here...

      http://jasonarnopp.blogspot.com/2008/06/doctor-who-magazine-397-bang-
      on-target.html

      The feature is based on the episode Turn Left, which, for those not
      versed in contemporary Who, revolves around the creation of a
      parallel universe based on a single small but ultimately devastating
      decision made by the Doctor's companion before she meets him (which
      determines whether or not she DOES meet him). Hence the tenuous
      justification for the 'you decide' format.

      It's basically just a location/set report with the usual handful of
      quotes and anecdotes chucked in, but livened up by the addition of
      collectible Journo Points (tallied and rated at the end) and the fact
      that most of the decisions require a bit of consideration and common
      sense to proceed. Already a cut above Ian Livingstone, then. Very
      basic knowledge of the TV location shooting process also appears to
      be helpful, but probably no more than could be acquired from scanning
      through these features in previous issues.

      All round, 50 paragraphs of surprisingly decent quality despite its
      throwaway nature. Maybe they're trying to groom their readers onto
      the DW Decide Your Destiny books, which seem to be up to about a
      dozen now despite being slightly wank.

      - Leigh

      National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
      This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
      recipient, please immediately notify us at postmaster@... or by replying to
      the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where this email
      indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not
      of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this email does not take account of your
      objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important for you to consider these
      matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s), you should read the relevant
      Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure document(s) before making any
      decisions. If you do not want email marketing from us in future, forward this email
      with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to Unsubscriptions@... in order to
      stop marketing emails from this sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not
      represent that this email is free of errors, viruses or interference.