Re: [gamebooks] T&T

  • Demian Katz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
      > I am curious as to whether anyone on the list plays Tunnels & Trolls.
      > T&T is not only the second RPG ever created, it is also the
      > granddaddy of all gamebooks. The T&T solo adventures were the first
      > of their kind.

      T&T is a wonderful thing! I've played a couple of solos, though I haven't
      given the game as much attention as I'd like to. I'm actually considering
      running a campaign of it one of these days, though. :)

      > There are many solo adventures still in print and available from the
      > publisher, Flying Buffalo ( http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/tandt.htm ).
      > There are also many online solos (you play online by clicking links
      > rather than turning pages).

      I was truly amazed the first time I went to Flying Buffalo's site. They
      have a lot of good stuff and they're not charging more than retail. :)
      Obviously not everyone is aware of it, since a lot of the stuff available
      there shows up on eBay marked "RARE! OUT OF PRINT! LOOK AT ME! LOOK!"
      :)

      > I know its not the same as the golden age when you could walk into
      > Waldenbooks and pick up an armload of Lone Wolf and Sagard, but there
      > are still a few undiscovered treasures out there.

      Definitely... and there are always the Knuckleduster books. :)

      - Demian
    • DJ Burnett
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2000
        > T&T is a wonderful thing! I've played a couple of solos, though I
        haven't
        > given the game as much attention as I'd like to. I'm actually
        considering
        > running a campaign of it one of these days, though. :)

        There is a thriving online community of die-hard T&T fans, and many
        of us are about to start organizing events offline as well. Starting
        with events we call 'Troll-O-Rama's. They are small, local get
        togethers for T&T fans to come together to play and discuss the
        future of T&T. The first one is going to be held in Erie,
        Pennsylvania on November 3-5.

        There was also a paper fanzine called 'The Hobbit Hole' published up
        until a few weeks ago. There will now be a delay in publication of
        #4, but back issues are still available.

        There is an active T&T yahoo club:
        http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bluefrogtavern

        and my very active T&T mailing list:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/RadioFreeTrollworld

        > I was truly amazed the first time I went to Flying Buffalo's site.
        They
        > have a lot of good stuff and they're not charging more than retail.
        :)
        > Obviously not everyone is aware of it, since a lot of the stuff
        available
        > there shows up on eBay marked "RARE! OUT OF PRINT! LOOK AT ME!
        LOOK!"
        > :)

        Heheh, I've seen that too. However, some T&T and related (Starfaring,
        a sci-fi cousin of T&T designed by Ken St. Andre) things are out of
        print and rare.

        >Definitely... and there are always the Knuckleduster books. :)

        What are the knuckleduster books?

        --DJ
      • Demian Katz
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2000
          > There is a thriving online community of die-hard T&T fans

          So I've noticed; took me quite a while to list 'em all on gamers.com. :)

          > , and many
          > of us are about to start organizing events offline as well. Starting
          > with events we call 'Troll-O-Rama's. They are small, local get
          > togethers for T&T fans to come together to play and discuss the
          > future of T&T. The first one is going to be held in Erie,
          > Pennsylvania on November 3-5.

          If that were just a little closer, I would have to attend. :) (I'm in
          Valley Forge... so it's the right state, but just a couple hours more
          driving than I feel up to, unless my geographical knowledge is flawed). :)

          > Heheh, I've seen that too. However, some T&T and related (Starfaring,
          > a sci-fi cousin of T&T designed by Ken St. Andre) things are out of
          > print and rare.

          True, true. I'm also kind of curious as to why Flying Buffalo has so many
          copies of just four particular issues of Sorcerer's Apprentice... :)

          > >Definitely... and there are always the Knuckleduster books. :)
          >
          > What are the knuckleduster books?

          They're large-format, nice-looking (but kind of expensive) gamebooks...
          They're 400 entries each and have a Western theme; lots of historical
          detail. There's more info at www.knuckleduster.com. I've purchased both
          of them but haven't had time to read them yet.

          - Demian