Re: [gamebooks] Mean Streets gamebook series.

  • Demian Katz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      > Anyone know anything about Mean Streets by Gary Chalk and David
      > Kerrigan? I got the first one at a fair in Bangkok last week, and
      > somehow retained possession of it during a twelve hour drinking binge
      > that started at the fair. I know there's a second one out - is it any
      > good and thus worth seeking? Anyone have a copy they want to swap for?

      Just to be picky I should point out that the series is actually "Prince of
      Shadows" and Mean Streets is only the title of book one. In any case, I
      have copies of both books in Danish, but that doesn't help me much when it
      comes to evaluating their quality. ;)

      - Demian
    • Simon Osborne
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        > > Anyone know anything about Mean Streets by Gary Chalk and David
        > > Kerrigan? I got the first one at a fair in Bangkok last week, and
        > > somehow retained possession of it during a twelve hour drinking binge
        > > that started at the fair. I know there's a second one out - is it any
        > > good and thus worth seeking? Anyone have a copy they want to swap for?
        > Just to be picky I should point out that the series is actually "Prince of
        > Shadows" and Mean Streets is only the title of book one. In any case, I
        > have copies of both books in Danish, but that doesn't help me much when it
        > comes to evaluating their quality. ;)

        Yeah, the Prince of Shadows "series" which lasted for 2 books. I only have
        Book 2 - which makes me polar opposite to Grey Area! :p

        They're worth having for several reasons: It's what Gary Chalk did "next";
        They're full of GC's marvellous illustrations - including some large
        pictures (the books are large-sized US-"Letter" format); Although the number
        of sections is quite low in Book 2, the plot moves along quite rapidly and
        with lots of choices that DO affect how the story plays out; You can play a
        brilliant game called "Spot the Lone Wolf rip-offs" where you have to spot
        each game mechanic stolen from Lone Wolf (this is a bit harsh, but if you've
        read any of them, you'll know what I mean); They're well-written and
        enjoyable to read.

        Interestingly, resurrecting an ancient strand, these books seem to contain a
        lot of dialogue spoken both by the player's Character, and those around him.

        --
        Simon Osborne
        ICQ: 72644514
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          They're worth having for several reasons: It's what Gary Chalk did "next";
          They're full of GC's marvellous illustrations - including some large
          pictures (the books are large-sized US-"Letter" format); Although the
          number
          of sections is quite low in Book 2, the plot moves along quite rapidly and
          with lots of choices that DO affect how the story plays out; You can play a
          brilliant game called "Spot the Lone Wolf rip-offs" where you have to spot
          each game mechanic stolen from Lone Wolf (this is a bit harsh, but if
          you've
          read any of them, you'll know what I mean); They're well-written and
          enjoyable to read.
          --
          Simon Osborne
          ICQ: 72644514

          I concur. I picked up both books in the very late 1980's and they are
          well worth tracking down, if only for Chalk's excellent illustrations.