Re: [gamebooks] Lone Wolf vs. Fighting Fantasy

  • Simon Osborne
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
      > I find Fighting Fantasy is a better game than Lone Wolf (though Lone Wolf
      > has a better game *system* than Fighting Fantasy), but Lone Wolf is a
      > better story than Fighting Fantasy (though keep in mind that I've not read
      > any FF books past #20 or so, so that opinion may change). You don't get
      > the same "at last, I've won!" feeling from Lone Wolf books as you do from
      > Fighting Fantasy, but you're also not necessarily as eager to find out
      > what happens in the next FF book as in the next Lone Wolf volume. :)

      Theres no point is contesting the two because they fulfill different aspects of what I like in gamebooks.

      Sometimes I'll be in the mood for more indepth role-play, and I'll read Lone Wolf. Other times, I'll want something that
      isn't too complex, doesn't require me to keep a list of 100s of different Items, and I'll read Fighting Fantasy. Both
      are good.

      That said, I never felt obliged to read ALL the Lone Wolf books in one sitting as each is a stand-alone adventure.
      Similarly, if I got killed in Khare (in SJ's Sorcery! series) I would go back to the start of that book, not re-roll a
      character and travel through the Shamutanti Hills again.

      --
      Simon Osborne
      ICQ: 72644514
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
        > That said, I never felt obliged to read ALL the Lone Wolf books in one
        > sitting as each is a stand-alone adventure. Similarly, if I got killed
        > in Khare (in SJ's Sorcery! series) I would go back to the start of that
        > book, not re-roll a character and travel through the Shamutanti Hills
        > again.

        Well, I hope there aren't too many of us who attempt to play through all
        of Lone Wolf in one sitting. That would probably result in death by
        starvation. ;) In any case, I admit that I do sometimes regret my
        uncontrollable compulsion to play gamebook series in order. Prevents me
        from enjoying a lot of my collection... but then again, I suppose it also
        prevents me from having to choose between quite so many books at any given
        time. ;)

        - Demian